tax breaks for the rich vs cuts for the people

I post this Tax Fable from time to time; this thread is screaming for it:

A Tax Fable

Suppose that everyday 10 men go to PJ's for lunch. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If it were paid the way we pay our taxes, the first four men would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1; the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12; the ninth $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59. The 10 men ate lunch in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until the owner threw them a curve.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20." Now lunch for the 10 would costs only $80. The first four are unaffected. They still eat for free. Can you figure out how to divvy up the $20 savings between the remaining six so that everyone gets his fair share?

The men realize that $20 divided by 6 is $3.33, but if they subtract that from everybody's share, then the fifth and the sixth man would end up being paid to eat their meal. The restaurant owner suggested that it would be only fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount that each paid and he started to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of $59. Outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man pointing to the tenth, "and he got $7!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!"

"That's true," shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks."

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor."

The nine men surrounded the tenth man and beat him up. The next day he didn't show up for lunch, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important: They were $52 short!

And that, boys and girls and college instructors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. There are lots of good restaurants in Switzerland and the Caribbean.

A Tax Fable

When and if 100 percent of Americans pay a share of the Federal Income tax.. 100% of the time then you can make the arguement that the rich don't pay their share.. The rich pay a share. 50% of youse pay NO share. True story.

Do you think it is fair representation of the Conservative view of taxes that the poorer are undertaxed and the richer are overtaxed?

wealth is all that matters to some.

Their country and their fellow man mean nothing in comparison.

Heres a fact for you.

The people who benifit most from what this country has to over should pay the most for what this country has to offer.

If they dont pay their fair share then this country will have to stop offering them the benifits.

The 'rich' don't benefit any more directly from government... what individuals do with the freedom they are afforded by this country is personal and not a direct result of what they derive... everyone is afforded the same rights and protections, regardless of income...

You and your motherfucking ilk love this selective equal treatment when it benefits you and your causes... I'll personally stick with the positives and negatives that come with the true equal treatment, for it is far better than this subjective whipping contributors and earners get in the name of 'fairness' and guilt

When and if 100 percent of Americans pay a share of the Federal Income tax.. 100% of the time then you can make the arguement that the rich don't pay their share.. The rich pay a share. 50% of youse pay NO share. True story.

Do you think it is fair representation of the Conservative view of taxes that the poorer are undertaxed and the richer are overtaxed?

You can certainly make the arguement that 50% of the people are under Taxed.. They pay no tax, and they even get tax rebates,, you however cannot make the argument that the rich are undertaxed they pay a large share of the tax burden 50% of youse pay ZERO federal income tax and receive tax money you never paid back.. I'd say youse got it good.

I think that the fact that 50% of Americans do not earn enough to even qualify for minimum Federal tax is a disgrace.

It shows how screwed up our distribution of wealth is

I think that the fact that 50% of Americans do not earn enough to even qualify for minimum Federal tax is a disgrace.

no, it show a "progressive tax system" that punishes hard work and success.

You can certainly make the arguement that 50% of the people are under Taxed.. They pay no tax, and they even get tax rebates,, you however cannot make the argument that the rich are undertaxed they pay a large share of the tax burden 50% of youse pay ZERO federal income tax and receive tax money you never paid back.. I'd say youse got it good.

The top 2% of wealthy Americans also benefit much more from our tax dollars than working people do. There is no reason that they can't pay for it

quit trying to insist this country can squeeze the seeds of the fruit to get juice.

The only way you can produce the tax base you need to run this country is by getting the revenue where it has concentrated in the system.

our country is the tree, the people are the seeds.

The pulp of the fruit is where the juice lies.

You can try squeezing the fruit that has very little to no pulp or you can squeeze the healthy fruit where all the juice is.

If you insist on trying to pluck the seeds from the ground which have no pulp left guess what you get?

Each fruit had no control where on the tree they grew.

Some grew on the outer limbs where the sun was bright and the limb was strong, they grow the large plump fruit.

Some grew on the limb that was struck by lighting a few years back and it strains to deliver the life sustaining juices from the trunk.

The pulp of the fruit is meant to be consumed and left to rot on the tree it serves no one any good including the seed it contains.

I make about 50 grand a year and pay as much or more in federal income taxes as anyone at that level.

The top 2% of wealthy Americans also benefit much more from our tax dollars than working people do. There is no reason that they can't pay for it

explain that..

the way I see it. all of us use the schools, the highways,, the rivers, ponds, lakes, breath the air, walk on side walks, have police, fire, medical at our disposabl.. what are the poor being deprived of exactly? oh,, I know I know.. the rich man's wealth.. you want to take it,, that's communism. pure and simple.

What 'they' derive from their efforts as a result of the identical rights and freedoms they have identically to every other citizen is of no concern... that is what happens in a supposed free society... it is not that they benefit directly from government any more than anyone else

I make about 50 grand a year and pay as much or more in federal income taxes as anyone at that level.

then you're in the 50% who pay Federal Income Taxes. Congratulations, welcome to the club.

Who pays the vast majority of taxes in this nation?

The middle class, of course.

Their taxes end up supporting the state and local governments far FAR in excess to that paid for the top 1% or even 10%.

That is a patently FALSE statement.

EVery time they fill up their gas tanks, or buy their kid a candy bar they're paying taxes that go to keeping their societies going.

So does everyone...including the wealthy.

The myth that the rich pay most of the taxes in this nation is a lie by half TRUTH.

It's the truth.

Half TRUTH LIES are, let's face it, something the GOP is particualrly good at inventing.

And the terminally stupid fall for that kind of propaganda because they are, after all, too dense to think beyond the headlines

....and sources such as Think Progress don't distort the facts? :cuckoo:

It shows you just don't get it righty. Wealth is not distributed. It is generated by the efforts of individuals. You're not supposed to be able generate money simply by taking up space. YOU have to figure out how to get it. If wealth is distrubuted unevenly in this country it is NOT the result of certain peopel being deprived of it by others. It is the result of certain people refusing to take the actions necessary to generate an income that is acceptable to themselves.

Last edited:

The wealthy in this country make money off of having money and not physical work.

I dont begrudge them that but I sure do insist they pay back the country which gave themn those opportunitires by helping us maintain this awesome countrys ability to keep doing so.

You repair and tend the tree or it splits in two when the fruit hangs too long on the tree uneaten

quit trying to insist this country can squeeze the seeds of the fruit to get juice.

The only way you can produce the tax base you need to run this country is by getting the revenue where it has concentrated in the system.

our country is the tree, the people are the seeds.

The pulp of the fruit is where the juice lies.

You can try squeezing the fruit that has very little to no pulp or you can squeeze the healthy fruit where all the juice is.

If you insist on trying to pluck the seeds from the ground which have no pulp left guess what you get?

Each fruit had no control where on the tree they grew.

Some grew on the outer limbs where the sun was bright and the limb was strong, they grow the large plump fruit.

Some grew on the limb that was struck by lighting a few years back and it strains to deliver the life sustaining juices from the trunk.

The pulp of the fruit is meant to be consumed and left to rot on the tree it serves no one any good including the seed it contains.

As poor an analogy as this is you basically admit you're really not interested in a fair distribution of the tax burden correct. Get as much juice from wherever you can, right?

So, how many of you agree with Willow?

That what we really need to do in this country, tax wise, is to RAISE taxes on the poorer and CUT taxes on the richer.

The wealthy in this country make money off of having money and not physical work.

I dont begrudge them that but I sure do insist they pay back the country which gave themn those opportunitires by helping us maintain this awesome countrys ability to keep doing so.

You repair and tend the tree or it splits in two when the fruit hangs too long on the tree uneaten

Everyone else has the same opportunities. Why should the rich be punished for exercising those opportunites while the poor are rewarded for not?

Forum List

Back