Tax bills at the lowest level since 1950

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Amid complaints about high taxes and calls for a smaller government, Americans paid their lowest level of taxes last year since Harry Truman's presidency, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data found.
Some conservative political movements such as the "Tea Party" have criticized federal spending as being out of control. While spending is up, taxes have fallen to exceptionally low levels.

Federal, state and local taxes — including income, property, sales and other taxes — consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports. That rate is far below the historic average of 12% for the last half-century. The overall tax burden hit bottom in December at 8.8.% of income before rising slightly in the first three months of 2010.

Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950 - USATODAY.com

Raise the top rate back to the level it was before.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 92% of the National Debt by lowering taxes for the rich.

So... Tax the Rich? To create what? I Single Class? or what..

Giving Tax Breaks to the Rich created Prosperity for them to Invest and Create Small Businesses did it not?

Instead of Taxing someone based on their Income why not create a Flat tax for everyone?

In other words.. the Income Tax is a joke.

I'm amazed at how you seem to think people are going to simply believe you when they can just look at their paychecks and see exactly what they pay in taxes.

Amid complaints about high taxes and calls for a smaller government, Americans paid their lowest level of taxes last year since Harry Truman's presidency, a USA TODAY analysis of federal data found.
Some conservative political movements such as the "Tea Party" have criticized federal spending as being out of control. While spending is up, taxes have fallen to exceptionally low levels.

Federal, state and local taxes — including income, property, sales and other taxes — consumed 9.2% of all personal income in 2009, the lowest rate since 1950, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports. That rate is far below the historic average of 12% for the last half-century. The overall tax burden hit bottom in December at 8.8.% of income before rising slightly in the first three months of 2010.

Please don't confuse the teabaggers....they know what they know

The real problem is spending,counters Adam Brandon of FreedomWorks, which organizes Tea Party groups. "The money we borrow is going to be paid back through taxation in the future," he says.

You guys always seem to forget this part of the equation.

Our last round of tax cuts added $2.5 trillion to the deficit and sent jobs overseas. Trickle down is a farce.....let the wealthy pay at previous tax rates and use the money to pay down the deficit

Our last round of tax cuts added $2.5 trillion to the deficit and sent jobs overseas. Trickle down is a farce.....let the wealthy pay at previous tax rates and use the money to pay down the deficit

FYI that increase would not put even a microscopic dent in the deficit and even less of one in the debt.

Progressive taxation commits harakiri, done in by squeezing people at the top. When the economy tanks, the people that pay the most see the biggest decline in their tax bill and that's what's cause the stupid, pointless, meaningless chart and OP

Given that the social security and medicade tax = about 15% of most people's incomes, I'd say this guy is playing some kind of semantics game.

I don't pay Federal incomes taxes and I estimate my overall taxation rate must be more than 10%, despite that.

And yet the '50s are the era the conservatives look back at with such reverance and fondness.

you just can't figure those people out.

Also, its a lie to leave Social Security and Meditaxes off. They're not "Insurance payments" they're fucking taxes!

I thought Bush was fiscally irresponsible for his tax-cut and spend policy. I'm no more for running things that way now than I was back then.

Liar.

Please don't confuse the teabaggers....they know what they know

Nah... couldn't have ANYTHING to do with more and more people not even paying income tax :rolleyes:

And funny how they don't include all taxes... but why let the entire truth get in the way of a good brainwashing story??

This article lacks substance and is obviously biased. The writer does not get into any real details as to why the "tax bill" was so low. I am no economist, but I am willing to bet the following:

Property tax has fallen due to Americans losing or selling thier homes and are now renting therefore substantially reducing or even eliminating thier property tax burden.

Sales tax (was actually addressed in the article) has fallen due to Americans saving thier money vice spending it at Walmart. A majority of stores are slashing prices and offering great sales in order to attract consumers; which then lowers the amount of tax taken per purchase.

The income tax burden has been reduced due to tax cuts and a decrease in income of some Americans. Those tax cuts have come from both Republicans and Democrats.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 92% of the National Debt by lowering taxes for the rich.

Are you serious?! Can you provide a non-biased source for this comment? Are you capable of thinking on your own or do you always say what your liberal politicians tell you to say? The working American public could only sustain the federal government's New Deal era entitlement programs for so long! The federal government has been over spending for decades and Americans have grown lazy and greedy and together are to blame for our national debt and our current economic crisis! A portion of Americans and our entire government is at fault, not just the Republicans or the Democrats! We have been on a collision course with an economic melt down since the 1930s! With the increase in Health Care entitlement programs, the US is now spending low to mid 40% of the GDP on Government run programs alone! That figure is unsustainable; just ask Greece (43% of GDP)! A large national debt is the bi-product of any nanny state!

Giving Tax Breaks to the Rich created Prosperity for them to Invest and Create Small Businesses did it not?
Obviously not, the economy failed in spite of the cuts. On the other hand, the economy prospered in the face of the Clinton tax hikes in the 90's.

Does factual reality matter at all?

You are a fucking idiot tubby

Hmmm... a lot more behind the reduction in some tax rates (not just to the 'rich)... I wonder if ~50% of citizens not paying any income tax could have an impact?? :rolleyes:

Are you really going to try and use the false dot.bomb boom/bust as proof of your claim that higher taxes bring prosperity?? Oh... you are fucking laughable

Forum List

Back