Tavis Smiley: PBS Denied Me Any Due Process After Accusations

Tavis Smiley: PBS Denied Me Any Due Process After Accusations

As a private organization, it is well within their purview to do so in light of the newfound uncertainty regarding his character. Moreover, I suspect his terms of his business relationship with PBS placed him there as an independent contractor, not as an employee. If that is the case, suspending his role is something they can do if they see fit and the contractual terms allow it. However,even if the man is/was a PBS employee, PBS has the same measure of authority to suspend him for PBS, like many organizations, have explicit policies that disallow sexual harassment and other interpersonal interactions among employees.

I've not closely followed the Smiley matter, so what follows is merely the framework outlining the considerations that come to mind in thinking in the abstract about it.

It's my current understanding that he engaged in romantic relationships with colleagues at PBS. Accordingly, it may be that he didn't do anything that was, at the time, unwelcomed by the woman/women involved; however, PBS will need to delve into the details to find out if that's the case. If it is, I'm sure they'll exonerate Smiley and resume his appearance on the network. That said, there's no way around the fact that dating colleagues potentially portends at least some measure of poor judgment on the part of both parties to such fraternization, be it (1) an imprudent and unnecessary dearth of risk aversion with regard to conduct of business and career (one's own or the other party's), or (2) a wanton, perhaps selfish, disregard, on the part of a superior, of the vicissitudes of matters of the heart. As Dad used to say, "Don't f*ck or sh*t in the 'kitchen' for doing so will ruin your 'bread.' "

The left are on a witch hunt in many arenas.

Be that as it may, Smiley is, AFAIK, a member of the Democratic party and I suspect his accusers are too. It strains credulity to think that a coordinate "witch hunt" by "the left" is what led to the accusations against him. Furthermore, the matter of one's sexual imposition is not a partisan one, and we've seen quite clearly that men and women (in Moore, Singer, and Spacey's case, boys and girls too) of all political persuasions have been both willing and unwilling parties to sexual misdeeds.

Forum List

Back