Taunton schools rebut report on child's Jesus drawing

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Taunton schools rebut report on child's Jesus drawing - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

TAUNTON -- The story smacked of religious bias during the Christmas season: An elementary school allegedly suspended a second-grader, it went, and required the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation after he drew a picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

But today, Taunton school officials challenged the account, first reported in the Taunton Daily Gazette and later repeated by the boy's father. The reports have created a media frenzy in this city south of Boston.

Julie Hackett, superintendent of Taunton Public Schools, said the student was never suspended and that neither he nor other students at the Maxham Elementary School were asked by their teacher to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday, as the newspaper reported and the father suggested.

She said it was unclear whether the boy -- who put his name above his stick-figure portrait of Christ on the cross -- even drew it in school.

"The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted," she said.

"It hurts me that they did this to my kid," Chester Johnson, the boy's father, told the Globe. "They can't mess with our religion; they owe us a small lump sum for this.''

Hmmm. Thoughts? :eusa_think:

So much for all that "Christian Bashing."

Last edited:
Taunton schools rebut report on child's Jesus drawing - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

TAUNTON -- The story smacked of religious bias during the Christmas season: An elementary school allegedly suspended a second-grader, it went, and required the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation after he drew a picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

But today, Taunton school officials challenged the account, first reported in the Taunton Daily Gazette and later repeated by the boy's father. The reports have created a media frenzy in this city south of Boston.

Julie Hackett, superintendent of Taunton Public Schools, said the student was never suspended and that neither he nor other students at the Maxham Elementary School were asked by their teacher to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday, as the newspaper reported and the father suggested.

She said it was unclear whether the boy -- who put his name above his stick-figure portrait of Christ on the cross -- even drew it in school.

"The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted," she said.

"It hurts me that they did this to my kid," Chester Johnson, the boy's father, told the Globe. "They can't mess with our religion; they owe us a small lump sum for this.''

That lying librul bitch-whore!!!

Last edited:
Now that this is out I temporarily recant my one statement and will take a wait an see attitude. I am exploring all options and will decide if further escalation of abusive outrage is warranted against either party.
Thank you. We will not be taking any questions at this time.

Now that this is out I temporarily recant my one statement and will take a wait an see attitude. I am exploring all options and will decide if further escalation of abusive outrage is warranted against either party.

This is why I wait on topics like these now a days.

I opt for caught with hand in cookie jar now trying counter spin in hopes the usual suspects will come to her rescue...

I am conferring with my advisers on this subject. We will have a statement for you in a week or two.

I am conferring with my advisers on this subject. We will have a statement for you in a week or two.

I refuse to make a comment until Rush or Fox News tells me what to say.

So much for all that "Christian Bashing."

If you are able to decide which party is actually telling the WHOLE truth from this incomplete story -then you are either a mind reader or have a built in bias. Most people do NOT put their kids in the middle of a phony scandal though since they tend to love their kids far more than they love publicity. The number of exceptions in the last 20 or so years can be counted on a single hand. The boy in the balloon was the last one and that guy had a certifiable history of exploiting his family for publicity.

I don't know who is giving the full story here -but I sure as hell am NOT going to blindly accept the school's version now they know the kid's family isn't going to go down quietly -schools have a proven track record of changing THEIR stories once it becomes public knowledge.

Forum List

Back