Taste Of The Future

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Ignatius busts the myths, and points out the obvious, America is ill-served by its politicians who lack the intelligence and maturity to handle complex, long-term problems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/23/AR2006022301412.html

Taste of the Future

By David Ignatius
Friday, February 24, 2006; Page A15

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." The acidulous wisdom of Mark Twain speaks to us across the ages, and never more than this week during the great congressional mobilization to save America's ports from the dreaded hand of Dubai.

The furor over Dubai is misplaced on so many levels, but let's start with the supposed terrorist threat. Military and CIA officials will tell you privately that the United Arab Emirates is among the most effective intelligence partners the United States has today in the Arab world. Its operatives are risking their lives to help gather information about al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups. They don't advertise it, and when an operation goes bad -- such as the U-2 spy plane that crashed last June returning from Afghanistan to al-Dhafra air base -- they keep their mouths shut.

Certainly, al-Qaeda knows who the enemy is. Among the documents released last week by the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point was a spring 2002 al-Qaeda warning to officials of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. It accused the UAE leaders of working with the U.S. government "in order to appease the Americans' wishes which include: spying, persecution and detainments." Al-Qaeda claimed it has penetrated the UAE government, and the United States should certainly vet any UAE personnel working in the United States. But the idea that by purchasing the British company that has been managing six U.S. ports, Dubai Ports World is somehow opening the door to terrorism is, frankly, racist.

The hubbub over terrorism isn't the biggest problem with the Dubai flap. In a sense, the Bush administration had it coming, after having beaten congressional opponents over the head with the terrorism club for four years. What goes around comes around, and while it may be comical to hear a legislator accuse President Bush of having a pre-Sept. 11 mind-set, the White House made itself a fat target.

The real absurdity here is that Congress doesn't seem to realize that an Arab-owned company's management of America's ports is just a taste of what is coming. Greater foreign ownership of U.S. assets is an inevitable consequence of the reckless tax-cutting, deficit-ballooning fiscal policies that Congress and the White House have pursued. By encouraging the United States to consume more than it produces, these fiscal policies have sucked in imports so fast that the nation is nearing a trillion-dollar annual trade deficit. Those are IOUs on America's future, issued by a spendthrift Congress.

The best quick analysis I've seen of the fiscal squeeze comes from New York University professor Nouriel Roubini, in his useful online survey of economic information, rgemonitor.com. He notes that with the U.S. current account deficit running at about $900 billion in 2006, "in a matter of a few years foreigners may end up owning most of the U.S. capital stocks: ports, factories, corporations, land, real estate and even our national parks." Until recently, he writes, the United States has been financing its trade deficit through debt -- namely, by selling U.S. Treasury securities to foreign central banks. That's scary enough -- as it has given big T-bill holders such as China and Saudi Arabia the ability to punish the U.S. dollar if they decide to unload their reserves.

But as Roubini says, foreigners may decide they would rather hold their dollars in equity investments than in U.S. Treasury debt. "If we continue with our current patterns of spending above our incomes, by 2013 the U.S. foreign liabilities could be as high as 75 percent of GDP and an increasing fraction of such liabilities will be in the form of equity," he explains. "So, let us stop whining about the dangers of unfriendly foreigners owning our firms and assets and get used to it."

Here's how bad it is: The worst thing that could happen to the United States, paradoxically, would be for Arab and other foreign investors to take us at our xenophobic word and decide that America doesn't really want foreign investment. If they pulled out their money, U.S. financial markets would plummet in a crash that might make 1929 look like a sleigh ride.

Let's rashly assume that Bill Frist and Dennis Hastert, the Republican Senate and House leaders, are serious in their expressions of concern about foreign ownership of American assets. What they should do right now is begin changing the fiscal policies that are transforming the United States into a ward of the world.

I'm dreaming, of course. Such policies would mean financial sacrifice on the part of Congress and the American people. They would require political leadership instead of quick-hit news conferences. What a quaint idea, that members of Congress actually might want to solve problems rather than make headlines.

[email protected]

NATO AIR said:
Ignatius busts the myths, and points out the obvious, America is ill-served by its politicians who lack the intelligence and maturity to handle complex, long-term problems.
He's got it wrong. The worst thing would be for the US to really think that globalisation of markets should include areas vital to our national security. Now GW has gone way beyond the threshold of promising just that, with our borders to the North and South. Now he's opening it up to Muslims and playing the race card too. Sorry. F. That.

NATO AIR said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathianne said:
He's got it wrong. The worst thing would be for the US to really think that globalisation of markets should include areas vital to our national security. Now GW has gone way beyond the threshold of promising just that, with our borders to the North and South. Now he's opening it up to Muslims and playing the race card too. Sorry. F. That.

GW is playing the race card? :wtf:

dilloduck said:
GW is playing the race card? :wtf:
Let's see, hmmm. "Holding the UAE to a different standard than the Brits...."

Well, the UK has been our #1 ally for over 100 years. UAE, has been a 'best of the ME' since 9/11, under the 'threat' of 'you are with us or against us.' In spite of their lapses, GW has decided they are 'with us' and equal to UK? :wtf:

Kathianne said:
Let's see, hmmm. "Holding the UAE to a different standard than the Brits...."

Well, the UK has been our #1 ally for over 100 years. UAE, has been a 'best of the ME' since 9/11, under the 'threat' of 'you are with us or against us.' In spite of their lapses, GW has decided they are 'with us' and equal to UK? :wtf:

It was a response to those who played the race card first. The islamophobes.

dilloduck said:
It was a response to those who played the race card first. The islamophobes.
That is the BS answer. Good try though.

Kathianne said:
That is the BS answer. Good try though.

Why do you think the press and the left were able to scare the crap outta everyone? They hollered " MUSLIM off the port bow"!

dilloduck said:
Why do you think the press and the left were able to scare the crap outta everyone? They hollered " MUSLIM off the port bow"!
I think that was, UA(arab)Emerits.

dilloduck said:
Right--the fact that it was a MUSLIM country had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
Excuse me, but isn't that what my bolding was pointing out? Fucktard.

Kathianne said:
Excuse me, but isn't that what my bolding was pointing out? Fucktard.

Muslim--Arab--both words are good enough to spook the general public. The libs know it and have sucessfully used it.

dilloduck said:
Muslim--Arab--both words are good enough to spook the general public. The libs know it and have sucessfully used it.
Yeah, right. New mantra: I'm a lib. Get real Dillo, you are and have been and always will be a fuktard.

Excuse me, dillo, but have you been paying attention to the news? 100% of all airline hijackings and the majority of terrorist attacks against the United States have been done by what group? Brits? Christians? Illegal Mexicans? Chinese? Russians? Hell no! They've been Muslims. Muslims knocked down the towers. Muslims have been hijacking all of our airplanes. Muslims blew up the Cole and our foreign embassies. Muslims dragged American bodies through the streets and sawed the heads off civilians. Muslims tried to knock down the towers once before. Muslims are the only people who have kidnapped and executed Olympic athletes (to the best of my knowledge) simply because of what country they were from. Muslims have the express, public goal of wiping a country off the face of the planet and committing genocide. Muslims are already committing genocide in the Sudan.

With staggering statistics like this, you can be damn straight I don't want Muslims controlling anything having to do with national security. I'd sooner trust it to communists.

nonsense psychology 01 in Kindergarden applies

Always smack the girls you like. That gets their attention.

Hobbit said:
Excuse me, dillo, but have you been paying attention to the news? 100% of all airline hijackings and the majority of terrorist attacks against the United States have been done by what group? Brits? Christians? Illegal Mexicans? Chinese? Russians? Hell no! They've been Muslims. Muslims knocked down the towers. Muslims have been hijacking all of our airplanes. Muslims blew up the Cole and our foreign embassies. Muslims dragged American bodies through the streets and sawed the heads off civilians. Muslims tried to knock down the towers once before. Muslims are the only people who have kidnapped and executed Olympic athletes (to the best of my knowledge) simply because of what country they were from. Muslims have the express, public goal of wiping a country off the face of the planet and committing genocide. Muslims are already committing genocide in the Sudan.

With staggering statistics like this, you can be damn straight I don't want Muslims controlling anything having to do with national security. I'd sooner trust it to communists.

We already have communists operating on our west coast. Do you really thnk they are less of a threat than a friendly little Arab country?

In the late 1990s, federal lawmakers cited national security concerns while killing a plan by China Ocean Shipping Co. to lease space at the former Long Beach Naval Station. The company now leases a terminal at the Port of Long Beach and operates it jointly with a U.S. firm.

Other foreign firms have encountered fewer roadblocks.
In 1997, Singapore-based Neptune Orient Lines acquired U.S.-based American President Lines, a major shipping company with operations along the West Coast, including the ports of Seattle and Los Angeles.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...s/california/northern_california/13956543.htm

Forum List

Back