Tariffs DO raise prices: That is the point!

So, how many people in this thread use a cellphone made in America?

or a TV made in America?

How about the computer you are on, where is it made?
All of my appliances are made in Japan, Germany and China.
I take quality into account.
Make phones and computer hardware in the US and I will buy them.
BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

:21::21::21::21:

Yeah, Nvidia graphic cards are just the worst, nobody likes them!

:21::21::21::21::21:

you are so silly sometimes!
I’m in the market for a computer, not a video card.
I was hoping systems would improve as the years go by.

the video card is a computer part...you said that "all computer parts" made in China get inconsistent reviews...you are wrong

WHY are they made in China? any idea? In the USA we have labor laws, minimum wages, unions, employee protection laws, limitations of hours worked per week. The chinese have none of those, so of course, they can build them cheaper with slave and child labor. Do you think we should copy their practices?

That’s true, they use slave and child labor to earn money for the communist party,and use money to build the army against the world and protect the dictator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some points missed here:
Technically since they lowered their currency that will offset the tariff by making our dollar go further.
And technically other countries are trying to get our business by offering cheap goods that have no tariffs, so many companies have switched providers of manufacturing and goods.
Therefore it should be less felt then anticipated, however the thought that it should be more has inflated prices of goods like clothes etc without reducing for monetary exchange rate differences offsetting the new tariffs. It's like when food prices go up during gas hikes more then the added shipping expenses taking advantage of the situation to get more from the consumer, then never gets readjusted down when gas comes back down to normal.

Now about the call to boycott China goods: if you can't buy certain goods or certain size fits anywhere else then why suffer, because it's not competing against our poorly supplied selections of goods. Furthermore many goods are made there then resold here under our labels, so a manufacturer there can make the same product for many companies (none who have exclusive rights) who just slap their own label logos on it. So buying American labels can still be made in China.
My own father went ballistic at his A/C installer selling him a unit claimed made in America (higher cost) when actuality it was made in another country with lesser rating and standards (and should have been much lower cost).

Last edited:
It’s not only a trade war,China is a bigger North Korea controlled by Xi ,its a one party state and its military power threatening the world

If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?
My daughter who has a $150mm business based on imports doesn't think so.
She buys just as much as ever.
There is no us equivalent
It's just 20 % more to her customers.
The cons Chinese will pay for it is the same as the Mexicans will pay for the wall.
We are paying
Comparative Advantage...
She is providing a product without undercutting competition.

FYI:
That's not what "Comparative Advantage" means.

Comparative Advantage is the ability of an economy to produce some good or service at a lower opportunity cost than it's trading partners or potential trading partners and thus sell at a lower price (i.e. the ability to undercut the competition because your production costs are lower).
And part of that is the ability to purchase a service or product from the only nation that produces it.

If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?
The cons Chinese will pay for it is the same as the Mexicans will pay for the wall.
We are paying
Comparative Advantage...

FYI:

Comparative Advantage is the ability of an economy to produce some good or service at a lower opportunity cost than it's trading partners or potential trading partners and thus sell at a lower price (i.e. the ability to undercut the competition because your production costs are lower).
And part of that is the ability to purchase a service or product from the only nation that produces it.

That has nothing to do with the concept of Comparative Advantage as formulated by David Ricardo and understood by anyone that has undertaken a study of International Trade.

We are paying
Comparative Advantage...

FYI:

That has nothing to do with the concept of Comparative Advantage as formulated by David Ricardo and understood by anyone that has undertaken a study of International Trade.
I agree.
I simply have zero issues importing something that no one cares to produce in the US.
I presume various regions have resources not available on US soil.

We are paying
Comparative Advantage...

FYI:

I agree.
I simply have zero issues importing something that no one cares to produce in the US.
I presume various regions have resources not available on US soil.
Well, millions of people do.
Maybe you should compete with the Chinese?

All of my appliances are made in Japan, Germany and China.
I take quality into account.
Make phones and computer hardware in the US and I will buy them.
BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

the video card is a computer part...you said that "all computer parts" made in China get inconsistent reviews...you are wrong

WHY are they made in China? any idea? In the USA we have labor laws, minimum wages, unions, employee protection laws, limitations of hours worked per week. The chinese have none of those, so of course, they can build them cheaper with slave and child labor. Do you think we should copy their practices?

That’s true, they use slave and child labor to earn money for the communist party,and use money to build the army against the world and protect the dictator

I thought that's what we do paying $7

Chiba doesn’t have welfare.
You work or die.

You work or die.

Wrong again...

Welfare, Work, and Poverty: Social Assistance in China | National Committee on United States - China Relations

You work or die.

Wrong again...

Welfare, Work, and Poverty: Social Assistance in China | National Committee on United States - China Relations
I’ll check that out with all the people I know who have families in China, including my boss’s wife.
I checked...she said the site is full of shit.

They also have labor laws...they just violate them 100% of the time.

You work or die.

Wrong again...

I’ll check that out with all the people I know who have families in China, including my boss’s wife.

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

Once again you deny the facts and tell us stories about made up people!

Too fucking funny!

You work or die.

Wrong again...

:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

Too fucking funny!
Amazon News: Chinese Children Forced To Work Overtime To Make Amazon Echo Devices, Labor Group Alleges
You are so fucking gullible.
How many people do you know who have family in China?

Too fucking funny!
Amazon News: Chinese Children Forced To Work Overtime To Make Amazon Echo Devices, Labor Group Alleges

Just my sister who is married to a 1st generation Chinese American. She is even a real person and not one of your made up stories.

Too fucking funny!

Just my sister who is married to a 1st generation Chinese American. She is even a real person and not one of your made up stories.
And what does her husband say?

Too fucking funny!

Her husband is made up.

Too fucking funny!

Then again, is she as big a snotty asshole as you are?

Too fucking funny!

No, she is way nicer than I am. Life is too short to waste time being nice to people that spend their days making up lies about me.

Too fucking funny!

No, she is way nicer than I am. Life is too short to waste time being nice to people that spend their days making up lies about me.
I’ll play “It’s on the Internet, so it must be true”...
StormFront.com
CNN.com
MSNBC.com
FoxNews.com

All on the Internet->All true.

Go!

Too fucking funny!

No one is making up lies about you...
You’re an arrogant ass who believes if it’s on the Internet, it must be true.

Forum List

Back