Target 5 Tries To Save Puppy Shot With BB Gun (Poptarts Puppy)

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
For those of you on here who know her, this was poptarts puppy!

I am still trying to figure out the kid's story considering he was 2 houses down, and out there that's a good distance! Poptarts backyard is fenced in, the puppy was shot in the middle of her backyard! So we are talking a distance of at least 200 feet from her back yard to his!

Target 5 Tries To Save Puppy Shot With BB Gun
Animal Hospital Waives Fees For Treatment

POSTED: 10:19 pm EDT April 29, 2005
UPDATED: 1:55 am EDT April 30, 2005

GEORGETOWN, Ohio -- After a Tri-state boy crippled a puppy with a shot from his BB gun, the pup desperately needed an operation, but the owners couldn't afford it. So the family called Target 5's Tom Sussi to take action.

Here’s Tom's report:

Tonight is another example why we need stronger animal cruelty laws.

Tonight a local family is heart-broken because a boy with a BB gun had no respect for a helpless little animal.

This adorable five-month old puppy named Misty has a BB lodged in its spine.

Dr. Joan Gish of Georgetown Animal Hospital: "This is as serious as it gets to still be here."

The dog's owner, Jerry Storer, said Misty was shot Monday night by a 10-year-old neighbor boy moments after the pup accidentally wandered into his yard.

Storer: "I was in the yard, heard a gunshot, and the dog started squeeling."

James Armstrong said his son shot the pup with a BB gun because it was spooking the family's penned-up ducks and chickens.

Armstrong: "It was just a warning shot -- just trying to scare the dog away from the house."

Instead, Misty was badly injured. Both rear legs were completely paralyzed.

If this puppy had any chance of walking again, she needed an emergency operation.

Dr. Gish: "The longer we wait, the less chances she has to regain function."

It's an expensive operation, more than this family can afford. Jerry and his wife, Tonya, have three kids, and money is tight.

Tonya Storer: "We were up all night crunching numbers to figure how to pay for it."

The couple called Target 5 for help.

I found a local animal hospital that offered its services free of charge. First, misty has to be transported from the vet in Georgetown to the Cincinnati Animal Referral and Emergency Care Center.

The news wasn't good.

Dr. Daniel Carey : "It's a very bad one."

The BB severely damaged Misty's spine. Odds of her regaining use of her rear legs were poor.

Dr. Carey: "The damage was done once the BB hit the spinal cord. After going through surgery and recovery, she'd still have a 10 percent chance at best of having mobility."

Misty's owners were forced to make a heart-breaking decision.

Tonya Storer: "He said it was better if we put her to sleep."

It was time to say goodbye to a dear friend.

The family acquired Misty two months ago from a no-kill shelter. They named her Misty because the day they took her home it was raining, like today. But this time the took Misty home to be buried.

The family plans to pursue animal cruelty charges with the state's dog warden.

I can also tell you, according to the vets who treated Misty , that the animal was shot at close range.

Now, here's how you can help. I spoke with the family and they'd like another puppy.

If you want to help, e-mail me or call me at (513) 412-5049.

And hopefully that kid will learn something from this.
Copyright 2005 by ChannelCincinnati.com. All rights reserved.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sussireports/4433988/detail.html

watch video
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sussireports/4433988/detail.html#

What a fucking jackass! I'd turn the damned BB gun on him at the same exact range. (Yes, I'd be willing to risk jail time to do it.)

Oh my gosh! James Armstrong also has a 6-7 yr old daughter, who is my daughter Emma's best friend! I have never met them, but Emma comes home from school "Sydney-this and Sydney-that," every day. Guess Emma won't be playing over there if the boy is allowed to shoot off guns, even BB guns!

They are having hard times if they are going to be sued, though. James just got out of the hospital.

mom4 said:
Oh my gosh! James Armstrong also has a 6-7 yr old daughter, who is my daughter Emma's best friend! I have never met them, but Emma comes home from school "Sydney-this and Sydney-that," every day. Guess Emma won't be playing over there if the boy is allowed to shoot off guns, even BB guns!

They are having hard times if they are going to be sued, though. James just got out of the hospital.

Oh well, I wouldn't recommend letting her go over there anyway, apparently Mom is an alcoholic!

Trinity said:
Oh well, I wouldn't recommend letting her go over there anyway, apparently Mom is an alcoholic!

Yikes! You see this is why my children are not allowed to spend the night at people's houses until they are 1) in 2nd grade, 2) we have met them, 3) they have done something social with them first that is not overnight. Stalling tactics... gives us time to find out about their friends!

mom4 said:
Yikes! You see this is why my children are not allowed to spend the night at people's houses until they are 1) in 2nd grade, 2) we have met them, 3) they have done something social with them first that is not overnight. Stalling tactics... gives us time to find out about their friends!

Exactly!!!!

just came across this................................................

Target 5 Uncovers Details About Puppy Shooting
Neighbor Saw Boy Deliberately Shoot Dog At Close Range, Owner Claims
BROWN COUNTY, Ohio -- We have an update about the 10-year-old Tri-state boy who paralyzed a puppy with his BB gun.

The injured dog was later put to sleep.

Target 5's Tom Sussi brought you the heart-wrenching story. Tonight, he's back with some disturbing new information.

Sussi (holding BB gun): This BB gun is a lot like the one the boy used to shoot that dog -- the more pumps, the more power. Now, in this case, we're going to give it three pumps (Sussi pumps gun three times). Now, according to a neighbor, the boy walked up to a dog, pointed the gun just inches away and pulled the trigger (Sussi holds gun a few inches away from can and shoots). Now, as you can see, this can (Sussi holds can in front of camera), it did a lot of damage to it, put a hole clear through it. Now, imagine if this can was a living creature.

A mother helps her son cope with death.

Tonya Storer, dog owner, holding her son and speaking to him: "Misty get shot? Where's Misty at? (Boy points) Over there? Over there? Misty go to heaven?"

Next door, a father defends his son who shot the boy's puppy.

Sussi: "Your son didn't deliberately shoot that dog?"

James Armstrong: "No, and don't you accuse him of that."

We're not. A neighbor is and told the puppy's owner.

Storer, dog owner, telling what she said a neighbor told her: "He put the gun on her back and shot it. Then he stuck it inside his coat and ran into his house."

Two days ago, the Storers' loveable 5-month-old pup was shot with a BB gun.

The BB lodged in Misty's spine. When it was determined the dog's hind legs were totally paralyzed and it would never walk again, the family decided to put Misty out of her misery.

Armstrong says his boy shot Misty after she got loose and wandered onto his property.

Armstrong says his son fired a warning shot when the animal chased their chickens.

He then told me his son had a legal right to shoot Misty because the animal wasn't on a leash and was harassing his birds.

Armstrong: "You going to air that tonight? I doubt it."

But according to the neighbor who witnessed the shooting, the animal was nowhere near his chicken coup.

Storer, telling what she said a neighbor told her: "Misty was in the front yard when she got shot."

Tonight, Misty is resting in peace behind the family's house.

According to Ohio state law, a property owner has the right to shoot a dog if the animal trespasses and poses a danger to people or other animals.

Regardless, Misty's owners plan to pursue animal cruelty charges against the boy.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sussireports/4432659/detail.html

watch video
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sussireports/4432659/detail.html#

According to Ohio state law, a property owner has the right to shoot a dog if the animal trespasses and poses a danger to people or other animals.

Regardless, Misty's owners plan to pursue animal cruelty charges against the boy.
I'm sure an Attorney will take their money, but they don't have a case. Tell em to save it.

Mr. P said:
I'm sure an Attorney will take their money, but they don't have a case. Tell em to save it.

Does the dog have to be ON their property or can it be shot anywhere? Or is this dependent on Ohio law, different in different states?

That's a sad story. I hope they can find another puppy. But, if they like indoor dogs, they should consider adopting a greyhound.

mom4 said:
Does the dog have to be ON their property or can it be shot anywhere? Or is this dependent on Ohio law, different in different states?
According to Ohio state law, a property owner has the right to shoot a dog if the animal trespasses....
That pretty much suggests "their" property.
Storer, telling what she said a neighbor told her: "Misty was in the front yard when she got shot."
Whos yard? Donno.

Yes, laws are different state to state, but similar.

Let's assume the puppy was in the boy's front yard...............

My guess would be the puppy was not a danger or threat to any person or animal since their chicken coop is in the backyard, and the boy was able to walk up and stick this BB gun in the puppy's back, If this child had been in fear he would not have walked up on this puppy!

Second I know this puppy and she was the friendliest dog you could ever meet, the most she would have done to that child was lick him to death! Like she did to my boy's!

I think animal abuse laws should be the same as human laws, to an extent. I think people who kill animals for no reason should be tried just the same, if not worse, as someone who does the same to a human. Animal abusers are just as low as rapists in my book.

You know I think what I find most disturbing about this is......... this child does not value life at all, my son who will be 9 tomorrow would never in a million years consider doing something like this, he is just to compassionate! Thankgod! It's children like this who grow up to be future serial killers!

Trinity said:
You know I think what I find most disturbing about this is......... this child does not value life at all, my son who will be 9 tomorrow would never in a million years consider doing something like this, he is just to compassionate! Thankgod! It's children like this who grow up to be future serial killers!

The DSM identifies animal abuse by children as one of the most relevant indicators of serious disturbance. In IL, if schools have an bonafide source of a child intentionally harming an animal, we report to DCFS.

I could absolutely throw up and cry hearing this. I will never be able to understand animal cruelty not do I want to. People keep your beloved pets indoors and safe!!!

Forum List

Back