Tarantino’s new film, "Django", uses the word “******” 108 times

Spike Lee would be wrong if he said that, and as a filmmaker himself he should get that. I'd far rather see historical fidelity than PC poisoning.

That being said though, I haven't seen any evidence that Spike Lee did say that -- :link:?
And I won't condemn on hearsay.

oh yeah he said it.

Spike Lee On 'Django Unchained': Filmmaker Calls Movie 'Disrespectful'

Thanks for the link, but it's still not there. He says it "disrespects my ancestors". He doesn't mention "******". I still got nothing.

He does also say he's not going to watch it, which is asinine as it means he has no basis for the disrespect analysis. Much like the RW wackos did/do with Michael Moore films. But Lee never mentions vocabulary here unless I was unable to find that part.

If it is historically accurate why was Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer rewritten to eliminate the term? The complaint is not that it was used but that like Tarantino's use of violence over used. Stuffing it in wherever it would fit instead of where it was the most effective at advancing the narrative. If someone doesn't like it they are racist.

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were re-written to satisfy the PC bullshitters.

Might wanna check again, back to that time, and see how many times the word "******" was actually used in what was considered "polite speech".

You'd be surprised.

This particular argument has been going on between Spike Lee and Quentin Tarantino for at least a decade already.

Densely Washington got into the argument when Tony Scott brought Tarantino in to punch up the dialogue for Crimson Tide. How long ago was that?

Yep, Tarantino and Denzel have been going at it about this as well. Samuel L. Jackson has talked about it as well, on Tarantino's side.

"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

The movie is about a slave owner in the south before the Civil War.

So to maintain correct era dialouge in the movie; the word ****** is liberally used.

The use of the word ****** is historically accurate and apropo for the time period.

But another film maker Spike Lee says that it's just blatant racism and has no place in the movie.

Agree or disagree? :cool:

If that is the word used back then, then it should be in the film.

So to maintain correct era dialouge in the movie; the word ****** is liberally used.

The use of the word ****** is historically accurate and apropo for the time period.

But another film maker Spike Lee says that it's just blatant racism and has no place in the movie.

Wow - Spike Lee and Quinten Tarantino don't like each other? This is news to me.

If it is historically accurate why was Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer rewritten to eliminate the term? The complaint is not that it was used but that like Tarantino's use of violence over used. Stuffing it in wherever it would fit instead of where it was the most effective at advancing the narrative. If someone doesn't like it they are racist.

Might wanna check again, back to that time, and see how many times the word "******" was actually used in what was considered "polite speech".

You'd be surprised.

At one time it was polite speech. It didn't become a bad word until the 60s when it was declared unmentionable. At one time FUCK was a legal term used in the same way we say DUI.

I think Spike Lee needs to reacquaint himself with reality. Slavery may have been like the holocaust, but, get real, DUDE. They are over. And they are both valid subjects for modern media. With all DUE respect to Spike…Spike is showing what a out of touch dweeb he is.

Last edited:

How many times is the N word used in the Whiite House every day by the Secret Service and the military charged to watch over this first family of fools?

Jamie foxx gets to kill a whole lot of whiteys. damn you would think that would make spiky happy. There aint no making them black people happy.

What is the last relevant Spike Lee film you saw? 15 years ago? Maybe he is jealous of Terentino? I am getting that vibe here, I still like "Do the right thing". Lee has gotten off the right track and needs to refocus.

Wow - Spike Lee and Quinten Tarantino don't like each other? This is news to me.

If you follow Spike Lee at all, you'd find out he's pretty opinionated.

I like some of his films..but otherwise, I pretty much discount everything he says in public.

You'd be surprised.

At one time it was polite speech. It didn't become a bad word until the 60s when it was declared unmentionable. At one time FUCK was a legal term used in the same way we say DUI.

No..actually it wasn't.

It was considered vulgar.

Read some of the books that came out around that time. With a few exceptions the word doesn't really appear.

Forum List

Back