Tapeworm?

All mammals are capable of having a tapeworm, though I think 9 feet is a little bit of a stretch. Fortunately they are easily rid of.

The Guinea worm is another ball game though.

I tried to post a link, but I am to new! Plus this is NOT a great subject for a food thread!

Interesting Facts:
• Infected persons are often unaware of the presence of adult tapeworms in their intestinal
tract, as they may have no obvious symptoms of infection.
• Some tapeworms can live in an infected person for over 10 years if diagnosis is not made
and treatment is not administered.
• Human tapeworms can grow up to 22.9m.
• Cats can get tapeworms from eating mice/ fleas.

My uncle, who toured the far East and would eat anything, came back with a tapeworm that manifested a few years lager that 15 feet long.

He discovered it when he woke up and found it coming out of his nose!

Is that disgusting, or what?

Bon appetite, mon amis!

Last edited:
My uncle, who toured the far East and would eat anything, came back with a tapeworm that manifested a few years lager that 15 feet long.

:shock: :eusa_sick:

My college biology teacher told us that tapeworm eggs exist in the intestinal tract of FLEAS, so when cats (or dogs) bite fleas they become infected.

He also pointed out that they can re-generate...which means a miniscule PIECE of a tapeworm finds its way inside a host and it will grow. You know, like from an animal's LIPS. I haven't kissed a cat since, and I'm chary of dogs as well.

are you saying my cat, clark, shouldnt be drinking out of my glass? that is just mean....*cuddles cat* *whispering* i told you about republicans....

Interesting Facts:
• Infected persons are often unaware of the presence of adult tapeworms in their intestinal
• Some tapeworms can live in an infected person for over 10 years if diagnosis is not made

Bon appetite, mon amis!

the former very informative, the latter....too much information.....

Interesting Facts:

Bon appetite, mon amis!

Why, oh why, do I eat lunch at my computer?????

:eusa_sick:

are you saying my cat, clark, shouldnt be drinking out of my glass? that is just mean....*cuddles cat* *whispering* i told you about republicans....

That's exactly what I'm saying.
Ewwwww...

My Russell loves to drink out of my glass, too. She likes tea for some reason. Of course, it's loaded with sugar and cream..

clark runs to me when he hears the ice clinking in the glass.....he knows we are gonna have water....he loves the ice part and gets really indigiant when you pour your drink in the pet's water dish.

Lucky it didn't get into her heart...
icon_omg.gif

Doctors find tapeworm larvae in woman’s spine
Tue, Sep 27, 2016 - Doctors have warned the public about the risks of eating raw meat and drinking tap water after parasitic tapeworms were found in a woman’s spine.
The woman, in her 30s, who often ate sashimi and drank tap water, began experiencing severe back pain and partial paralysis in her legs, the Chinese-language Apple Daily reported. When the woman’s symptoms worsened, she sought treatment at the Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, where doctors performed a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. Lin Tsu-kung, head of the hospital’s Department of Neurology, was quoted by the Apple Daily as saying that the MRI scan showed long irregular shapes in the woman’s lumbar spine, spreading across five vertebrae. “We saw [her spine] was filled with objects of irregular shapes, but it was not until we operated that we discovered the objects were still moving,” he said, adding that they were shocked to discover sparganosis — a parasitic infection caused by the larvae of tapeworms.

The larvae, with the longest being about 20cm, were removed from the woman’s spine and taken to the hospital’s Department of Pathology for examination. Lin said the woman was in the habit of drinking tap water and often ate raw tilapia, so the larvae likely entered her body orally and made their way into her spine where they damaged her nervous system, causing back pain, partial paralysis in her legs and urinary dysfunction. Lin Jui-wei, a physician at the Department of Pathology, was quoted by the Apple Daily as saying that sparganosis is caused by the larvae of a type of parasitic tapeworm that can grow up to 10m in the human body, adding that its larvae can grow up to 30cm.

While the definitive hosts for this type of tapeworm are dogs and cats, its larvae can live in fish, snakes and humans for many years, the Apple Daily said. Lin Jui-wei said that although the tapeworm larvae were removed, the damage to the woman’s nervous system might be permanent. Lin Tsu-kung said people can prevent sparganosis by boiling tap or mountain spring water before drinking it and avoid eating raw meat.

Doctors find tapeworm larvae in woman’s spine - Taipei Times

Forum List

Back