• What they both did was equally heinous and intolerable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Tanya Dixon-Neely vs. Shirley Bunn

Two public school teachers with somewhat similar, inappropriate emotional classroom outbursts. Or are they?

Please vote and discuss

Two years ago, one of my Salvadorian female students was talking shit about the USA, it sucks, I hate it here, blah, blah, balh, etc, and so forth.

I told her, "Then go back to El Salvadore if you don't like it here."

Her response was, " I was born here."

D'oh.

Tanya Dixon Neely continued on with her tirade demonstrating her lack of knowledge, total disrespect for studentS in the classroom and political agenda. She has no business in the classroom. She perpetrated discord in the classroom.

Shirley Bunn had a slip of the tongue amounting to five words without shouting and has an honorable record of classroom teaching skills.

I'm gonna need some pics.

I'm lucky one or more of my students hasn't recorded some of my performances. I treat them like my own until they start acting like little thugs. I don't take their shit and as soon as everyone gets on the same page, things run really smooth, for the most part.

I'm lucky one or more of my students hasn't recorded some of my performances. I treat them like my own until they start acting like little thugs. I don't take their shit and as soon as everyone gets on the same page, things run really smooth, for the most part.

Be prepared...take their cell phones away upon entering! lol! We could posting about you!

Two years ago, one of my Salvadorian female students was talking shit about the USA, it sucks, I hate it here, blah, blah, balh, etc, and so forth.

D'oh.

Inform parents/caregivers of such horrendous behavior.

Be prepared...take their cell phones away upon entering! lol! We could posting about you!

They can have them but the electronic devices must be off and hidden. I'm actually a softy and treat my students like gold. Just once in a blue moon will one get me to the cusp of saying something that might get me fired. I'm in the most diverse school in the system and the kids that get offended the most are my few white kids. They all learn to appreciate a good joke by mid October though.

D'oh.

Inform parents/caregivers of such horrendous behavior.

The funny, not really funny, thing about that is, her mother, whom we had to speak with through an interpretor, was actually Salvdorian. She was a very nice woman and wanted the best for her unappreciative spoiled little American daughter. I had several meetings with her as Little Precious had 160 hours monthly of Special Education services and I was her only "regular" education teacher. By law, I had to attend all her IEP and other such meetings.

They can have them but the electronic devices must be off and hidden. I'm actually a softy and treat my students like gold. Just once in a blue moon will one get me to the cusp of saying something that might get me fired. I'm in the most diverse school in the system and the kids that get offended the most are my few white kids. They all learn to appreciate a good joke by mid October though.

By the way you talk, I can see you have respect for your students and your students respect you. That's the key. Be careful of offensive remarks, you'll never know when one might come back to bite you and ruin your day.

I always joked around with my students, they were like family. But I got that call. Thank the Lord, I established a rapport with the parents as any smart teacher would do. I, exasperatedly joked with a student that if they got out of their seat one more time, I would cut off their legs, stick them in his back pocket and roll him home. It was intended as a funny reminder to stay in your seat, but it sounds awful to an outsider.

The call to the principal was I was merely going to cut off his legs, but I wisely didn't finish the quote for him and called the parent for an apology and all was well. Thank goodness, I had sent many "good notes" home to the parent when the student had done something well and the apology was well accepted and and she acknowledged that her son was a "handful." Going back to my room, I could envision the headlines of the local, and perhaps national paper and how cruel I sounded.

Funny though, those students who had the problems with staying in their seats, or focusing for extended times gave me the most challenge that I met satisfactorily and I was so fond of.

Last edited:
@Jackson. yep, I work hard at a mutually respectful atmosphere. My biggest job is to protect them and keep them safe and get some learning in before June. I don't use profanity and don't allow them to. I tell them in 26 years in the Navy, I actually invented dirty words that are still in use today, and am certainly not impressed by theirs. I usually only offend in ways I can get away with and when a kid needs a dose of humility. I then use the event as a lesson in victimhood and telll them all to toughen up cause the real world will require it.

I think I will not use the cutting off the legs threat. As you said, the 5 o'clock news would love to report on that.

@Jackson. yep, I work hard at a mutually respectful atmosphere. My biggest job is to protect them and keep them safe and get some learning in before June. I don't use profanity and don't allow them to. I tell them in 26 years in the Navy, I actually invented dirty words that are still in use today, and am certainly not impressed by theirs. I usually only offend in ways I can get away with and when a kid needs a dose of humility. I then use the event as a lesson in victimhood and telll them all to toughen up cause the real world will require it.

I think I will not use the cutting off the legs threat. As you said, the 5 o'clock news would love to report on that.

Education is lucky to have you.

Forum List

Back