tankless water heater?

I believe the tankless heaters make sense for small in-law units, maybe cabins, rentals, and other places. But when you consider that I heat water for nearly 5000 sq ft with one device for less than $10/month (nat gas) the economy and ecology saving can't be that great. Especially because you have to install multiple devices all over the house and in the US -- most of them are electric not gas.

The efficiency of a tanked water heater is not that bad because heat is stored fairly efficiently. Especially if you add additional insulation to the tank and turn down the temp.. The efficiency comes from "instant on" and not having to run water for a couple minutes to flush the pipe path with hot water. Not a problem with a daily shower or laundry or auto dish washers.

We do about half what you do. 2500sq ft. the kids wash the dishes and we rarely use hot water in laundry. your point is excellent about multiple units being needed, but we have done fine with six people using hot water in our home.

Tankless heaters or Combi boilers are the norm in the U.K and are easily the most efficent way of heating water and central heating systems as they are generally pressurised sytems, electric is certainly not the way to go in the U.K due to high cost but gas is still the cheapest when compared to oil or coal heating by a clean mile oil costing around 950 gbp per 1200 litre and coal costing around 20 gbp per 50 kg ( 1 bag). The combi boilers have the advantage in that there is no need for staorage of warm water and the heat is almost instant. Having solar preheaters is also a great advantage.

work with me here people....i have electric.....hello ...electric

So call your local propane company and get a propane tank installed. Pretty simple.

As for what brand of tankless water heater to buy, there is no reason to pay more than $500-600 (USD) for a tankless water heater (plus installation, of course).

Forum List

Back