Taller People ar Smarter

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Abbey Normal, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hmmm. I guess I like this study.

Taller people are smarter: study
    Fri Aug 25, 5:53 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - While researchers have long shown that tall people earn more than their shorter counterparts, it's not only social discrimination that accounts for this inequality -- tall people are just smarter than their height-challenged peers, a new study finds.

"As early as age three -- before schooling has had a chance to play a role -- and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests," wrote Anne Case and Christina Paxson of Princeton University in a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The findings were based primarily on two British studies that followed children born in 1958 and 1970, respectively, through adulthood and a U.S. study on height and occupational choice.

Other studies have pointed to low self-esteem, better health that accompanies greater height, and social discrimination as culprits for lower pay for shorter people.

But researchers Case and Paxson believe the height advantage in the job world is more than just a question of image.

"As adults, taller individuals are more likely to select into higher paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome returns," they wrote.

For both men and women in the United States and the United Kingdom, a height advantage of four inches equated with a 10 percent increase in wages on average.

But the researchers said the differences in performance crop up long before the tall people enter the job force. Prenatal care and the time between birth and the age of 3 are critical periods for determining future cognitive ability and height.

"The speed of growth is more rapid during this period than at any other during the life course, and nutritional needs are greatest at this point," the researchers wrote.

The research confirms previous studies that show that early nutrition is an important predictor of intelligence and height.

"Prenatal care and prenatal nutrition are just incredibly important, even more so than we already knew," Case said in an interview.

Since the study's data only included populations in the United Kingdom and the United States, the findings could not be applied to other regions, Case said.

And how tall are the researchers?

They are both about 5 feet 8 inches tall, well above the average height of 5 feet 4 inches for American women.

A copy of the paper can be found at http://papers.nber.org/papers/w12466.pdf.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060825/ts_nm/economy_height_dc

2. Rico

Rico Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Sounds like eugenics to me. Thought this sort of thinking went out with the Nazis. Superficial partial studies of a small group are highly questionalbe. But hey I'm only 5'11' so maybe I just can't quite "comprehend" the study. On the other hand Anne and Christina are probably right so we must exterminate short babies and sterilize short people beginning immediately. See "Mein Kampf" for details.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    all i can say is i am four inches taller than you

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I never knew I was stupid! How come y'all didn't tell me!

:scratch:

:tears1:

Being only 5'9" I'm having difficulty understanding my own post!

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'm 5'4", and I have something to say... helloooo? Can you hear me up there?

Ah HA! It's not that tall people are smarter; they just can't HEAR the intelligent comments of their height-challenged brethren WAAAYY up there above the floor!

:D

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Aw nuts. Short people got no reason to live.

Btw, 5'9" is tall, I'm 5'3". :cry:

Still taller than Kathianne, though. Woooot!

7. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    5'8" and 3/4 of an inch.

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    5'3" with shoes..

I'm stupid.

Sigh.

Pfft.

:lalala:

:321:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Damn! I was going to say I am 6'1"! :laugh:

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I am 5'8", which is below average height for a male. I also scored a 32 on the ACT, made an 'a' in multivariable calculus, and can calculate statistics in my head in mere seconds. My mom is not even quite 5'4", and scored a 35 on the ACT and speaks near-fluent French. I also can't honestly say that I saw a higher incidence of intelligence among either short or tall people in high school. I knew dropouts and 4.0'ers ranging randomly from under 5' all the way up to 7'.