Talking Points: It's come to this...

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Oh boy.

"We’ve been building to this moment since the dawn of the media age, when the fine art of the talking point began to take shape as a risk strategy during recorded interviews. First radio, then the Kennedy/Nixon debates on TV, and onward to 24/7 cable news — it’s all a straight line of progress that ends with the clip you’re about to see."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZtVm8wtyFI]YouTube - &#x202a;Ed Miliband These Strikes Are Wrong&#x202c;&rlm;[/ame]

"And the man on the other side of the mic seems to have known he was watching something historic as it was happening"

Video: The greatest political interview ever? « Hot Air

Afterwards, I was overcome with a feeling of shame. I couldn’t look him in the eye.

But before I dried up completely, and had to be led out of Westminster with my mouth opening and shutting, I had an opportunity to ask one last question. I had an urge to say something so stupid, so flippant that he would either have to answer it, or get up and leave. `What is the world’s fastest fish?’ `Can your dog do tricks?’ `Which is your favourite dinosaur?’ But, of course, this was a pool interview, and I had no wish to feed out the end of my television career to Sky and the BBC.

I realise now, of course, the perfect question to ask, to embarrass him and to keep my job. I should have asked was whether the strikes were wrong, whether the rhetoric had got out of hand, and whether it was time for both sides to get round the negotiating table before it happened again.

Because that was the only answer I ever got.

TwitLonger: To a TV reporter, political PRs can seem incredibly fussy, often to the point where it takes vast ta

New Topics

Forum List

Back