Talk about pulling your hair out!!

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
If I had any left to pull out.

A few years back I bought my wife a Hewlett Packard Multimedia desktop, yup I'm a cheapskate, it was a demo and I got it new at half price with all the bells and whistles. Well recently I decided I wanted to add a second hard drive so I open it up to see where to put it and the damn thing is packed to the gills and the only space that would work is the internal personal media 'cage' which we don't use.
In looking to see how to remove this extraneous, intrusive bit of hardware mounting I discover that attached to the back side is a second 250 GB hard drive. Now that I know a second one already exists I have to find out why the computer only sees one 250 GB drive and not two.
The online specs tell me there are two with this machine and the HP online tech tells me there are two but doesn't know why one is invisible. I think the problem is jumpers missing from the back of the HDDs and the tech agrees with me and tells me the HDDs are not RAID configured. Now I have to look up RAID and with the second techs help I discover the computer does see both HDDs but reads them as one with the second HDD being listed as 'unallocated'. Ah hah!! The damn thing is RAID configured, not only that it's configured as RAID 0!!! Fuck!!! Now if I want to separate the two HDDs I have to 'ghost' C: to DVDs because all the data will be lost in the separation procedure. Fuck, fuck, fuck!!
The moral of this story........ Build your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years back I bought my wife a Hewlett Packard Multimedia desktop, yup I'm a cheapskate, it was a demo and I got it new at half price with all the bells and whistles. Well recently I decided I wanted to add a second hard drive so I open it up to see where to put it and the damn thing is packed to the gills and the only space that would work is the internal personal media 'cage' which we don't use.
In looking to see how to remove this extraneous, intrusive bit of hardware mounting I discover that attached to the back side is a second 250 GB hard drive. Now that I know a second one already exists I have to find out why the computer only sees one 250 GB drive and not two.
The online specs tell me there are two with this machine and the HP online tech tells me there are two but doesn't know why one is invisible. I think the problem is jumpers missing from the back of the HDDs and the tech agrees with me and tells me the HDDs are not RAID configured. Now I have to look up RAID and with the second techs help I discover the computer does see both HDDs but reads them as one with the second HDD being listed as 'unallocated'. Ah hah!! The damn thing is RAID configured, not only that it's configured as RAID 0!!! Fuck!!! Now if I want to separate the two HDDs I have to 'ghost' C: to DVDs because all the data will be lost in the separation procedure. Fuck, fuck, fuck!!

hmm why not just backup to an external drive instead? also if you dont' mind re-installing windows you could just backup your user data and then copy it back over.

1 more option... if you got the extra HD just for storage space you could agian just buy an external drive and then put your new files / data on there as you download it. also, if you have an extra pci slot you can buy a e-sata pci card for $3 from newegg and then get an e-sata external drive and it will read as fast (or probably faster if your computer is old) than your internal RAID 0 does

Last edited:
personally I would make room for the e-sata card and do it that way. I did that and have a 1TB esata drive sit on top of the computer and it reads sequentially at about 75MB/s sustained

if you want real speed (100MB/s+ reads) you can get a USB 3 pci card and external instead of esata but it might be 20 or 30$ more

hmm why not just backup to an external drive instead? also if you dont' mind re-installing windows you could just backup your user data and then copy it back over.

1 more option... if you got the extra HD just for storage space you could agian just buy an external drive and then put your new files / data on there as you download it. also, if you have an extra pci slot you can buy a e-sata pci card for $3 from newegg and then get an e-sata external drive and it will read as fast (or probably faster if your computer is old) than your internal RAID 0 does

My ultimate goal is to get my wife "hooked on Linux" but in the interim she has to be compatible with work and that means windows. The idea is to load Win7 and office 7 on one of the HDs (clean install) and use it as the master while preserving the data on her Pista (with a V) drive as a slave so as not to potentially lose or corrupt any data with an upgrade. To continue with the plan after the preserved data was moved to the new HD the old drive would be reformatted in Win7 and used as a storage device.
I'll probably rebuild her system soon which means I'll have to break the RAID configuration anyway.
Her HP is in a mini-tower and yes she does have an extra pci slot, the issue is accessing it. Don't know anything about e-sata, never heard of it, I'm not as techie as you might think. I know what I do because I either had to or wanted to for one reason or another so my knowledge in this area is fairly limited.

SImple fix

Buy Norton's Ghost and an external HD. Ghost the Raid discs onto the external HD. Ghost the program will automatically see teh array as a single drive.. Then reconfgiure the drives however you see fit.

Ringle my friend, this is what I got out of your OP:

adjg;lajg;au jgaue;sjgds;lgj;dsogj;dmgmjvs9etuspoerugn;lxdjvnlxnv xdjignlxodigxldv jxckbn ofgu[0tu e9i4utojg /ldjgeaeut094yut seorjgu ;nset 843t 8n;assnlt98304 t9a 'e9s ugs9etg8asi gusne.9ogtv w4nte;sg sdlx gmlesutvu 40t68]ijog9i498uu ;jtg4out atgj;i9tut5 w;eij
h kgjl;gjvn;oseutv oeutmv;posmgb;podump9ur n'pdxmbp'; dry d'pryi' sei 'xv
g awvfjgs;lrjgo;si ruysre yb'user bopdsrymborpdyib mdproymb dprymb 'dsry m
aw' iawe;ufaoe9tn v;soetu9es4t7 v;nesu oeureu9 e;sauv easej goewit

Hope this helps! :thup:

adjg;lajg;au jgaue;sjgds;lgj;dsogj;dmgmjvs9etuspoerugn;lxdjvnlxnv xdjignlxodigxldv jxckbn ofgu[0tu e9i4utojg /ldjgeaeut094yut seorjgu ;nset 843t 8n;assnlt98304 t9a 'e9s ugs9etg8asi gusne.9ogtv w4nte;sg sdlx gmlesutvu 40t68]ijog9i498uu ;jtg4out atgj;i9tut5 w;eij

:iagree:

:lol:

I want to turn it on and have it work. :)

Is that Python or C++?

:lol:

I want to turn it on and have it work. :)
Show me your power button and I'll show you mine............. :D

SImple fix

Buy Norton's Ghost and an external HD. Ghost the Raid discs onto the external HD. Ghost the program will automatically see teh array as a single drive.. Then reconfgiure the drives however you see fit.

An alternative to Ghost is Clonezilla. Free and faster.

SImple fix

Yes but I can't get it to load in Pista (with a V). I used Paragon (open source) and it worked well though it did take two hours to back up 67 GBs on 7 DVDs.

SImple fix

Fuck Norton! I will never load another Norton product on any of my systems especially when I can get equal or better open source software from the ethernet.

SImple fix

Fuck Norton! I will never load another Norton product on any of my systems especially when I can get equal or better open source software from the ethernet.

Damn straight.
You take Norton Anti-Virus...it causes at LEAST as much aggrevation than the tiny-tiny-tiny number of viruses that actually do anything to your computer at all - and the ones that work and do cause harm - get around the anti-virus software anyway.

SImple fix

Yes but I can't get it to load in Pista (with a V). I used Paragon (open source) and it worked well though it did take two hours to back up 67 GBs on 7 DVDs.

You sure you're talking about Clonezilla? It boots off of a CD into its own Linux based OS. Although the speed issue you're getting is because you are burning to DVDs. You'd be better off getting an external USB HD and backing up to that.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B003ELOSEG"]$60 at Amazon[/ame]

You sure you're talking about Clonezilla? It boots off of a CD into its own Linux based OS. Although the speed issue you're getting is because you are burning to DVDs. You'd be better off getting an external USB HD and backing up to that.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B003ELOSEG"]$60 at Amazon[/ame]

I was going the cheap route since I already had the DVDs and besides for simple transfer purposes I can get a good external drive for $25. And yes, I am talking about Clonezilla, I can't even get it to load on my Linux machine let alone my window ones. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I was going the cheap route since I already had the DVDs and besides for simple transfer purposes I can get a good external drive for $25. And yes, I am talking about Clonezilla, I can't even get it to load on my Linux machine let alone my window ones. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Check your BIOS boot settings, make sure the CD is before any hard drives in the boot order.

Forum List

Back