Talk about old trucks!

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I was over at my buddies place this weekend to do a little wrenching on my truck. I brought my camera knowing Ole' Phantom John here had a few cherried out old vehicles. This one here is a '57 Ford F-150. It has a T-Bird engine in it, a 326 I think, with a four barrel, headers, and dual exhaust, hooked up to an automatic tranny. He bought it in a junk yard for $500, and has had a frame off restoration done on it. Pretty cool old truck...

0505-2.jpg

050501044022-1.jpg

Mr. P said:
Nice, but why not an original paint job?

I have no idea what an original would look like. I thought that was original.

Ole' Phantom is lost in the fifties and pretty much does his own thing. Quite possibly this is just the way he wanted it painted.

Sweeeeeeeeet..........
grinning-smiley-037.gif

But, are you sure it's an F150. Only asking, because we have a 1963 Ford F100 at the Glass Shop I now work at. Not as nice as that one looks though.

pegwinn said:
Sweeeeeeeeet..........
grinning-smiley-037.gif

But, are you sure it's an F150. Only asking, because we have a 1963 Ford F100 at the Glass Shop I now work at. Not as nice as that one looks though.

Could be an F-100 pegwinn. I'm not sure. I'm not a Ford man or an authority on old Ford's.

Chevy all the way.

I like the looks of the old Nomad wagon in the background...now that is a pic I would like to see!

Pale Rider said:
Could be an F-100 pegwinn. I'm not sure. I'm not a Ford man or an authority on old Ford's.

Chevy all the way.

Chevy??????? Oh My Lord. Out of respect and general big heartedness on my part I am gonna email you the name of a therapist in dearborn who can help you overcome this disability.
laughing-smiley-011.gif

pegwinn said:
Chevy??????? Oh My Lord. Out of respect and general big heartedness on my part I am gonna email you the name of a therapist in dearborn who can help you overcome this disability.
laughing-smiley-011.gif
Mail me to...LOL..I have F-250 now and will NEVER EVER own another Ford truck.

Fmr jarhead said:
I like the looks of the old Nomad wagon in the background...now that is a pic I would like to see!

Sorry jarhead, that old wagon is a another Ford.

pegwinn said:
laughing-smiley-011.gif

Let me tell you something pegwinn, I owned a 1990 Ford van, and that damn thing was a MONEY PIT, and then it NEVER ran right. I wanted to fill it with gas, shoot it with my 45 and send it off a cliff. I HATED that piece of shit. I've owned five Chevy trucks, and all those trucks PUT TOGETHER, never cost me as much money is repairs as that stinking pile of shit Ford. I will NEVER own another Ford. I was so happy when I bought my newest Chevy truck I could have shit flowers. (Boy did I get lucky picture thread.)

F-O-R-D: Fix Or Repair Daily.

(I didn't mean to sound mad or anything. I just wanted to relay my disdain for Fords.)

Pale Rider said:
Let me tell you something pegwinn, I owned a 1990 Ford van, and that damn thing was a MONEY PIT, and then it NEVER ran right. I wanted to fill it with gas, shoot it with my 45 and send it off a cliff. I HATED that piece of shit. I've owned five Chevy trucks, and all those trucks PUT TOGETHER, never cost me as much money is repairs as that stinking pile of shit Ford. I will NEVER own another Ford. I was so happy when I bought my newest Chevy truck I could have shit flowers. (Boy did I get lucky picture thread.)

F-O-R-D: Fix Or Repair Daily.

(I didn't mean to sound mad or anything. I just wanted to relay my disdain for Fords.)

Amazing. I am on my fifth consecutive F150. Never, ever, had a breakdown or problem. Average well over 25000 miles a year driving about the area. In and out of the city as well. Most of the work my shop does is on Chevy products. My worst vehicle of all time (money pit) was back in the 80's Chevy Spectrum. I think it was started on a Monday and then rushed on a Thursday so they could get a three day weekend.

Ah well.
:scratch:

pegwinn said:
Amazing. I am on my fifth consecutive F150. Never, ever, had a breakdown or problem. Average well over 25000 miles a year driving about the area. In and out of the city as well. Most of the work my shop does is on Chevy products. My worst vehicle of all time (money pit) was back in the 80's Chevy Spectrum. I think it was started on a Monday and then rushed on a Thursday so they could get a three day weekend.

Ah well.
:scratch:

I guess one good horror story deserves another aye? You -> :slap: <-Me

Oh well... I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with your Ford's. The one I owned could have been a fluke.

But the one thing about Ford's that didn't change for years was that Twin I-Beam front suspension. Nothing I've ever seen would wear a pair of tires off quicker than that. I put a brand new set of Goodyears all the way around on that van in Phoenix. One year, two front end alignments, and 10,000 miles later, and the outside edge of the front tires was so ground off you could see the steel belts.

Pale Rider said:

Chevy all the way.

Hey pale rider...pegwinn is correct... F-100... also known as Ford Custom..The paint is custom as would have been during the sixtees era...I sold my 1961 ford Uni-body not too long ago..also alot of fun,never a major problem...
Bye the way pale is ole' phantom John the same phantom John that worked pt for the V&T RR a few summers back? Could not tell by the pic...don't remember john having the beard...scruffy look though! :bye1:

Pale Rider said:
I was over at my buddies place this weekend to do a little wrenching on my truck. I brought my camera knowing Ole' Phantom John here had a few cherried out old vehicles. This one here is a '57 Ford F-150. It has a T-Bird engine in it, a 326 I think, with a four barrel, headers, and dual exhaust, hooked up to an automatic tranny. He bought it in a junk yard for $500, and has had a frame off restoration done on it. Pretty cool old truck...

0505-1.jpg

0505-2.jpg

If the original engine is in this 57 then it would be a 292ci small block v8 or a upgrade to a 312ci small blockv8 as was original in the 57t-bird..I know my fords cause I love em..my dad raised me on them...lol ;)

archangel said:
Hey pale rider...pegwinn is correct... F-100... also known as Ford Custom..The paint is custom as would have been during the sixtees era...I sold my 1961 ford Uni-body not too long ago..also alot of fun,never a major problem...
Bye the way pale is ole' phantom John the same phantom John that worked pt for the V&T RR a few summers back? Could not tell by the pic...don't remember john having the beard...scruffy look though! :bye1:

Yeah that's the same Phantom John Arch. I figured you might know him. He worked as the steam engine fireman, a porter and I don't know what else for twenty some years up there, right up until they put the old steam engine away and went to the deisel.

archangel said:
If the original engine is in this 57 then it would be a 292ci small block v8 or a upgrade to a 312ci small blockv8 as was original in the 57t-bird..I know my fords cause I love em..my dad raised me on them...lol ;)

It's got the T-Bird engine in it, and it's been bored out and rebuilt. And you know a heck of a lot more about old Ford's than I do!

(Don't get me started on old "Chevy's" though... :blah2: )

Pale Rider said:
It's got the T-Bird engine in it, and it's been bored out and rebuilt. And you know a heck of a lot more about old Ford's than I do!

(Don't get me started on old "Chevy's" though... :blah2: )

Thought so I worked for the V&t RR from 1999-2001 as the main clerk and did the books..Friends of Bob Gray and Kim Tankersley..Took over the books for my daughter who got tired of working two jobs...Was a fun retirement job...They are working now on the construction of The Virginia City to Carson run...Bob will probably put the Old #8 back in service when the project is completed...Can't wait!

Also I had a 57 Covette back in the day..1968 It had the 283 bored out to 301..dual Holley 4bbl's..positraction...and a hurst short shift 4spd...really screamed...So I like Chev's also...

archangel said:
Thought so I worked for the V&t RR from 1999-2001 as the main clerk and did the books..Friends of Bob Gray and Kim Tankersley..Took over the books for my daughter who got tired of working two jobs...Was a fun retirement job...They are working now on the construction of The Virginia City to Carson run...Bob will probably put the Old #8 back in service when the project is completed...Can't wait!

Also I had a 57 Covette back in the day..1968 It had the 283 bored out to 301..dual Holley 4bbl's..positraction...and a hurst short shift 4spd...really screamed...So I like Chev's also...

Phantom was real excited to hear that the old steam engine might run again. I'd have to ride that myself.

You had a '57 Vette with a "four speed"? Wow! That was the first year that they offered fuel injection and a four speed on a Vette. Very cool Arch.

Forum List

Back