Talk About Government Waste.........Wow!

I love this one. How can I get a piece of this?

"The federal government sent an average of $120 million in retirement and disability payments to deceased former federal employees every year for at least the past five years.
In a September 2011 report, the Inspector General (IG) for the U.S. Office of Personnel
Management found that ―the amount of post-death improper payments is consistently $100-
$150 million annually, totaling over $601 million in the last five years.

In one example the IG found, an annuitant‘s son cashed his dead father‘s checks for 37 years.
The son‘s scheme, which cost taxpayers more than $500,000, was discovered in 2008, when he himself died. ―The improper payment was not recovered, the IG reported
"

This is good too. Why didn't I think of this?

"As much as $1 billion or more in tax credits for energy efficient residential improvements
are being claimed by individuals with no record of owning a home, including prisoners and
underage children
."

$16 per gallon for half a million gallons of bio-diesel that the Navy peobably won't use to keep Barry's pet green factories operating (and the campaign funds flowing).

Remember, folks -- this is the same government we're constantly reassured is responsible enough to efficiently manage our healthcare.

Well the reality is this: liberals whine about raising taxes. Well what they clearly can't get through their dense fucking heads is if all the useless shit the government pisses away money on was cleaned up and taxpayer dollars were used more effectively they might see Republicans be a little more willing to budge on that issue if it was truly needed. But I have a real damned hard time seeing a valid argument for raising taxes so we can throw it down the shit hole on crap like this.

Remember, folks -- this is the same government we're constantly reassured is responsible enough to efficiently manage our healthcare.

Well the reality is this: liberals whine about raising taxes. Well what they clearly can't get through their dense fucking heads is if all the useless shit the government pisses away money on was cleaned up and taxpayer dollars were used more effectively they might see Republicans be a little more willing to budge on that issue if it was truly needed. But I have a real damned hard time seeing a valid argument for raising taxes so we can throw it down the shit hole on crap like this.
Well said.

This is good too. Why didn't I think of this?

"As much as $1 billion or more in tax credits for energy efficient residential improvements
are being claimed by individuals with no record of owning a home, including prisoners and
underage children
."

Think of this:

"The average American collected $295 in weekly unemployment benefits in the third quarter of 2010, according to the most recent government data."

Can you live on $330 a week? - 1 - jobless benefits - MSN Money

That's $15,340 a year for unemployment. Cleaning up that billion dollars would support 65,189 people in unemployment benefits for a fucking year and that's just one item from Coburn's list of the 100 most wasteful government expenses.

As Congress bickers and argues about extending unemployment benefits and extending the payroll tax cut I might point out that paying for it would be far less of an issue if they weren't doing shit like this list identifies.

and then there is this whopper;

Senator Mark Kirk had indicated prior to the debate on the spending bill that he would offer such an amendment, primarily in an effort to find a permanent home for the nuclear waste from the 11 plants in his home state of Illinois (as well as waste accumulated across the nation) and to ensure the nearly $15 billion spent to date on the Yucca Mountain repository and related activities was not squandered.
http://www.newenglandcouncil.com/assets/EE-Comm-Update-Yucca-Mtn-11-28-11.pdf

You guessed it the DOE/NRC has decided to shutter Yucca Mtn. and basically we the taxpayers spent 15 Billion and the several million it will take to shutter it, to dig a hole in Nevada.

Senator Mark Kirk had indicated prior to the debate on the spending bill that he would offer such an amendment, primarily in an effort to find a permanent home for the nuclear waste from the 11 plants in his home state of Illinois (as well as waste accumulated across the nation) and to ensure the nearly $15 billion spent to date on the Yucca Mountain repository and related activities was not squandered.

You guessed it the DOE/NRC has decided to shutter Yucca Mtn. and basically we the taxpayers spent 15 Billion and the several million it will take to shutter it, to dig a hole in Nevada.

If I wasn't too busy crying I would have to laugh.

You mouth the sameold Pubcrappe, and you will lose, dittoheads. Keep those blinders on...

The country's been falling apart under voodoo, and the bloated rich are the only target for a tiny tax raise.

Last edited:
Govt. Waste though is a seerious issue franc in my humble opinion have been talking about waste at DOD for a long time, here are a few examples there.

The military has already spent $6.9 billion over the last two decades to develop the Comanche, conceived as a surveillance and attack aircraft with "stealth" capability to make it difficult for an enemy to detect. But only two prototypes have ever been built, and the high-tech chopper was still at least two years away from regular production
Army cancels Comanche helicopter - CNN

The US Navy today formally terminated the Lockheed Martin/AgustaWestland VH-71 contract awarded in 2004 to develop a presidential helicopter.

The move comes nearly two months after Secretary of Defense Robert Gates decided to cancel the programme after its budget more than doubled to $13 billion and it was delayed by several years.

The Department of Defense plans to reinvest about $1.2 billion to update the aging Sikorsky VH-3D and VH-60N helicopters in the existing presidential helicopter fleet.
US Navy terminates VH-71 presidential helicopter contract

This is just a small example so of course a Govt. that is better able to manage itself is always a good thing and one that does not waste the taxpayer dollars is a good thing regardless of what your political leanings are.

Everyone who opposed Yucca Mountain should have a barrel of nuclear waste buried in his back yard.

Note for our literal-minded, unimaginative leftists: That's hyperbole, and not a serious suggestion.

I love this one. How can I get a piece of this?

"The federal government sent an average of $120 million in retirement and disability payments to deceased former federal employees every year for at least the past five years.
In a September 2011 report, the Inspector General (IG) for the U.S. Office of Personnel
Management found that ―the amount of post-death improper payments is consistently $100-
$150 million annually, totaling over $601 million in the last five years.

In one example the IG found, an annuitant‘s son cashed his dead father‘s checks for 37 years.
The son‘s scheme, which cost taxpayers more than $500,000, was discovered in 2008, when he himself died. ―The improper payment was not recovered, the IG reported
"
I guess that one gets filed under "Scheme Comes True".

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has wasted more than $30 billion on contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan because of shoddy management and a lack of competition, an independent inquiry said Aug. 29.

In its final report to Congress due to be released Aug. 31, the bipartisan Commission on Wartime Contracting warns that waste and fraud have undermined American diplomacy, incited corruption in host countries and tarnished the U.S. image abroad.
Panel Blasts DoD Over Waste in War Contracts - Defense News

Just what I posted is getting close to 70 Billion dollars. so waste is a very real thing when it comes to Govt. spending.

I assume that the "useless shit" you refer to includes money that is lost to outright fraud. What I can't get through my "dense fucking head" is how a financial entity of the size of the US government can reduce the rate at which it is the victim of fraud to zero.

This reminds me of some other bizarre "concessions" I've heard people make:

- I'll compromise on taxes when the rate at which tax money is lost to fraud drops to zero

- I'll compromise on voting laws which restrict legitimate votes when the rate of illegitimate votes drops to zero

- I'll compromise on immigration reform when the rate of illegal border crossings drops to zero

- I'll compromise on counter-terrorism policy when the threat of terrorism drops to zero

- I'll compromise on sentencing reform when the rate of parolee recidivism drops to zero

These are of course vastly different policy matters, but those sentiments (all of which I've seen or heard expressed, often by elected officials) all suffer from the same logical flaw. All of the conditions describe are substantially less likely than independent porcine flight. It is rarely possible to eliminate a problem entirely, and enacting policies intended to do just that will lead to enormous costs without achieving that worthwhile goal.

Fraud should be prevented as much as is practical, but I cannot credit using a finite fraud rate to justify regressive tax rates.

I assume that the "useless shit" you refer to includes money that is lost to outright fraud. What I can't get through my "dense fucking head" is how a financial entity of the size of the US government can reduce the rate at which it is the victim of fraud to zero.

This reminds me of some other bizarre "concessions" I've heard people make:

- I'll compromise on taxes when the rate at which tax money is lost to fraud drops to zero

- I'll compromise on voting laws which restrict legitimate votes when the rate of illegitimate votes drops to zero

- I'll compromise on immigration reform when the rate of illegal border crossings drops to zero

- I'll compromise on counter-terrorism policy when the threat of terrorism drops to zero

- I'll compromise on sentencing reform when the rate of parolee recidivism drops to zero

These are of course vastly different policy matters, but those sentiments (all of which I've seen or heard expressed, often by elected officials) all suffer from the same logical flaw. All of the conditions describe are substantially less likely than independent porcine flight. It is rarely possible to eliminate a problem entirely, and enacting policies intended to do just that will lead to enormous costs without achieving that worthwhile goal.

Fraud should be prevented as much as is practical, but I cannot credit using a finite fraud rate to justify regressive tax rates.
We're not really talking about fraud in this thread as much as wasteful spending.

Are there any expenditures in that list you support?

Why should we give more money to a gov't that pisses so much of it away? Tell you what, how about they show us they can spend our money more efficiently and effectively before they raise anybody's taxes?

Forum List

Back