Taliban say Guantanamo closure "positive step"

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
LONDON (Reuters) - The Taliban told U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday that his plan to close Guantanamo Bay prison camp was a "positive step" but peace was only possible if he withdraws U.S. forces from Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Taliban, toppled in the 2001 U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, also told the new president that sending more troops to Afghanistan "and the use of force against the independent peoples of the world, has lost its effectiveness."

A day after being sworn in last week, Obama ordered the closure of the prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, where prisoners have been detained for years without charge, some subjected to interrogation that human rights groups say amounted to torture.

Obama has ordered a full review of U.S. strategy in Afghanistan, where he has pledged to boost troop levels and take the initiative against the growing Taliban insurgency.

Osama bin Laden is believed to be hiding in the remote, mountainous border region of Pakistan near Afghanistan.

"Obama's move to close Guantanamo detention center is a positive step for peace and stability in the region and the world...," the Taliban said in a message posted on Islamist websites, monitored by the U.S.-based terrorism monitor, the SITE Intelligence Group.

The message said Obama had to reverse the policies of former President George W. Bush in Afghanistan and the Islamic world.

"If Obama is right and, according to his words, wants to open a new page based on peaceful interaction built on mutual respect with the Islamic world, the first thing he has to do is to stop and annul all these procedures, which were created according to Bush's criminal policy," it said.

"He must completely withdraw all his forces from the two occupied Islamic countries (Afghanistan and Iraq), and to stop defending Israel against Islamic interests in the Middle East and the entire world," the Taliban message said.

Obama has named former U.N. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke the first U.S. envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, a region Obama called "the central front" in the battle against terrorism.

Taliban say Guantanamo closure positive step | International | Reuters

YOu know the Christian adage..."What would Jesus say" or "What would Jesus do...."

We now can change that to..."What would the Taliban do?"

Our new heroes. I'm so proud.

Since when do you Republicans give a fuck about Osama? Least if you follow what Bush says.

Think Progress » Bush: Bin Laden Will Be ‘Gotten By A President’ (But Probably Not This One)

In a March 2002 press conference, President Bush said, “I am deeply concerned about Iraq.” But when asked in the same press conference about bin Laden, he said, “I truly am not that concerned about him.”

In Sept. 2006, Weekly Standard editor Fred Barnes met with Bush in the Oval Office and came away convinced that “bin Laden doesn’t fit with the administration’s strategy for combating terrorism.” Barnes said that Bush told him capturing bin Laden is “not a top priority use of American resources.”

Bush’s lack of concern appears to be infecting our allies. Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf said recently, “The 100,000 troops that we are using … are not going around trying to locate Osama bin Laden and Zawahri, frankly.”

So put down the rocks kiddos.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a story about the Taliban wanting John McCain to win at some point. Why didn't I see all these faces posting about THAT?

Last edited:
Ah, I love irrational Bush hatred. I wonder, will it continue to be used to justify every idiotic thing that happens after he's in his grave?

How long can you maintain this level of...excitement....over Bush?

Ah, I love irrational Bush hatred. I wonder, will it continue to be used to justify every idiotic thing that happens after he's in his grave?

I don't, but you voted for him did you not? He represents your views while in power, so by definition; you don't give a fuck.

I don't hate Bush, I dislike the man and have no respect for him but I don't hate him. Though I have a good reason or two to hate him if I wanted to.

Let's see now. . . . How long have they been complaining about Hoover?

Let's see now. . . . How long have they been complaining about Hoover?

Let me ask you something wasteoftime, Bush just left office a week ago. Do you suppose now that he is out of office that he should receive no blame for the actions he partook in while in office?

Besides, I still see many Republicans blaming Clinton and even Carter for this country's problems. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones you know.

Lol. And McCarthy.

I elected Bush. My only complaint is that he caved too many times to dipwad lefties, and refused to speak out enough.

That and the whole stupid global economy thing.

But by and large, he did okay.

I thought the left didn't believe in trickle down drivel, cause and effect?

That's what you kept telling us as Clinton reaped the rewards (briefly) of Reagan's policies...before he managed to run us into the dirt....

That's what you said as Bush struggled with issues which sprang directly from Clinton's reign of terror...

So I just assumed you'd continue saying it now as Obama's ball of fire streaks across the sky before crashing somewhere in Buttfucktopia and fizzling out.

Look at it this way: The Taliban have to "sound reasonable" all of a sudden. When did that happen the last time?
Defeating insurgencies is winning the hearts and minds, backed up by a goody amount of divide and conquer. I think Obama does have some potential in polarizing the Muslim world, creating frictions between Hardliners and moderates which may be exploitable. Bush was a president everyone loved to hate.

Forum List

Back