Taliban planning to down British Chinook

Bootneck

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2008
England
The Taliban is planning a "show stopper" attack to destroy a British Chinook helicopter, defence sources have disclosed.

Insurgents are actively seeking to bring down one of the eight Chinooks operating in Afghanistan, which routinely carry more than 40 armed troops, in the hope it will weaken Britain's resolve to continue the campaign in Helmand.
In the last fortnight coalition forces have destroyed four anti-aircraft guns mounted on trucks averting a potential disaster.

Intelligence sources suggest that the Taliban's surface-to-air missiles have been made redundant by sophisticated jamming systems fitted to every British aircraft.
The insurgents have now resorted to the tactic of using AAA (anti-aircraft artillery) that was highly successful during Soviet occupation and are actively seeking to buy the weapons.
Using a twin barrelled 14.5mm cannons mounted on the back of a truck the Taliban would easily be able to destroy one of the eight slow moving Chinook helicopters operating in Afghanistan.
An operational helicopter commander said "any British helicopter" would be a high priority target for them but "a Chinook would be a great coup, a bonanza".

Taliban planning to down British Chinook - Telegraph

If the Taliban are thinking that it will ‘weaken Britain’s resolve’ to continue the campaign in Afghanistan, they need to think again. They may well be successful in increasing the verbal diarrhoea that pours forth from the loony left, but such an event would strengthen the resolve of those that matter.

Anyone wonder WHY the Taliban seems to be gaining power?

I thought the Afghanistani were thrilled to have gotten rid of them.

What happened?

Anyone know for sure?

What happened?

Anyone know for sure?

Simple. They have safe haven in Pakistan.

The Taliban is planning a "show stopper" attack to destroy a British Chinook helicopter, defence sources have disclosed.

Insurgents are actively seeking to bring down one of the eight Chinooks operating in Afghanistan, which routinely carry more than 40 armed troops, in the hope it will weaken Britain's resolve to continue the campaign in Helmand.
In the last fortnight coalition forces have destroyed four anti-aircraft guns mounted on trucks averting a potential disaster.

Intelligence sources suggest that the Taliban's surface-to-air missiles have been made redundant by sophisticated jamming systems fitted to every British aircraft.
The insurgents have now resorted to the tactic of using AAA (anti-aircraft artillery) that was highly successful during Soviet occupation and are actively seeking to buy the weapons.
Using a twin barrelled 14.5mm cannons mounted on the back of a truck the Taliban would easily be able to destroy one of the eight slow moving Chinook helicopters operating in Afghanistan.
An operational helicopter commander said "any British helicopter" would be a high priority target for them but "a Chinook would be a great coup, a bonanza".

If the Taliban are thinking that it will ‘weaken Britain’s resolve’ to continue the campaign in Afghanistan, they need to think again. They may well be successful in increasing the verbal diarrhoea that pours forth from the loony left, but such an event would strengthen the resolve of those that matter.

the beat the russians and they will beat the rest...it is pointless..the country needs to determiin their own destiny

we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender.....

http://history.hanover.edu/courses/excerpts/111chur.html

I don't think the Taliban need to bring down a British helicopter to 'weaken Britain's resolve'. Muslims are already taking over Britain from the inside (e.g., Muhammad is No 2 in boy's names - Times Online, Sharia law is spreading as authority wanes - Telegraph, A third of Muslim students back killings - Times Online). Many of these Muslims are radicals. Why take down a helicopter in Afghanistan when you can defeat a country from within?

I don't think the Taliban need to bring down a British helicopter to 'weaken Britain's resolve'. Muslims are already taking over Britain from the inside (e.g., Muhammad is No 2 in boy's names - Times Online, Sharia law is spreading as authority wanes - Telegraph, A third of Muslim students back killings - Times Online). Many of these Muslims are radicals. Why take down a helicopter in Afghanistan when you can defeat a country from within?

You obviously know little about us British. But ignorance is bliss I guess.

40 men or women will be lost fuck the helicopter...and the afghans had the help of the us to defeat the russians...but the terrian is hard....read "lone survivor" ....it will be an eye opener for all you bush supporters but it details the problems of the terrain

Having a safe haven in Pakistan doesn't begin toe explain why they are exerting influence in the rest of Afghanistan, folks.

If they TRULY don't have support with the Afghansitani people then they wouldn't be able to move freely in that nation.

If they truly were universally loathed by the Afghanistani people, they wouldn't be a threat to that nation or the foreign troops send there to prop up a goverment which has almost NO CONTROL over any area other than the capital.

We are being sold a bill of goods without the accompanying stock, I think.

What happened?

Anyone know for sure?

Pretty easy to rebuild a power base when you cannot be attacked at all.

Precisley!

Terrorist attacks plotted against the west since 2001, have one thing in common. They lead abck to training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan. If we are to defeat the terrorism of Islamic fundamentalism the first thing we must ensure is that the Taliban never take control in Afghanistan again. Unfortunately, whilst the Afghan security forces can be built to a standard where they will eventually be capable of taking over security in Afghanistan, permanent victory in Afghanistan is not possible until Pakistan is freed from Taliban control.

As things stand, the safe haven in Pakistan enables the Taliban fighters to retreat, re-supply, re-group and re-form. And because the area is riddled with training camps and madrassas, where the young are indoctrinated and primed for jihad, they grow in strength. A situation that has been made possible by Pak government appeasement of the Taliban in the north west. Time now for the Pak government to put up, for, in many ways, the Taliban represent a greater threat to them than they do to Afghanistan.

The question remains, however. Is the Pak army capable of the task? I’m not convinced that they are. Not without help.

Pretty easy to rebuild a power base when you cannot be attacked at all.

Precisley!

Terrorist attacks plotted against the west since 2001, have one thing in common. They lead abck to training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I find this argument less than compelling to be honest.

It isn't like planning of terrorist attacks couldn't just as easily happen in Paris.

As to training camps?

How much training does it take and what makes Afghanistan the ONLY place where this can occur?

The answers to these questions are

Not much and nothing

If we are to defeat the terrorism of Islamic fundamentalism the first thing we must ensure is that the Taliban never take control in Afghanistan again.

The first thing we should be asking ourselves is why are they taking control of it right now, don't you think?

I suspect the answer is because most Afghanistani support them or something much like them.

Unfortunately, whilst the Afghan security forces can be built to a standard where they will eventually be capable of taking over security in Afghanistan, permanent victory in Afghanistan is not possible until Pakistan is freed from Taliban control.

Now IF the Afghanistani PEOPLE didn't support the basic premise of fundamentalist Islam, they could easily kick the Talibani out of their nation.

As things stand, the safe haven in Pakistan enables the Taliban fighters to retreat, re-supply, re-group and re-form.

Yeah, that's probably true...when the American chase them. Clearly not enough of the Afghanistani don't give a damn otherwise the Americans wouldn't have to be there to begin with.

And because the area is riddled with training camps and madrassas, where the young are indoctrinated and primed for jihad, they grow in strength. A situation that has been made possible by Pak government appeasement of the Taliban in the north west. Time now for the Pak government to put up, for, in many ways, the Taliban represent a greater threat to them than they do to Afghanistan.

Those areas cannot be riddled with training camps that the PEOPLE don't know about, can they?

The question remains, however. Is the Pak army capable of the task? I’m not convinced that they are. Not without help.

AGain, if the Pakistani Army was serious, if there was only a handful of Talibani in the region they'd have no problem driving them out.

We are buying into a myth, folks.

The myth that the Talibani is NOT supported by the people of Aftghanistan.

Start thinking about this logically and you realize that cannot be true.

No revolutionary guarilla war can be conducted without the consent of a significant portion of the population on the ground.

That's why we lost Viet Nam, and that's why we'll lose Afghanistan, too.

You obviously know little about us British. But ignorance is bliss I guess.

My apologies. May I call you Muhammad?

My apologies. May I call you Muhammad?

Call me whatever you like. I've experienced far worse things than you could ever dream up to throw at me. Name calling is but a pimple on a gnat's prick.

Last edited:
We are buying into a myth, folks.

The myth that the Talibani is NOT supported by the people of Aftghanistan.

Start thinking about this logically and you realize that cannot be true.

No revolutionary guarilla war can be conducted without the consent of a significant portion of the population on the ground.

That's why we lost Viet Nam, and that's why we'll lose Afghanistan, too.

That's your opinion, but the facts are different.

The Taliban are despised in Afghanistan with upwards of 90% of Afghans viewing them with disdain. They exert their influence by fear and the most horrific of terrorist methods. I've seen the results of Taliban atrocities on men, women and kids and they are too horrific for words. The only areas where the Taliban have some support are around Kandahar and some adjacent provinces where most of the heroin is produced.

You seem to forget that it was the Afghans who fought with the US to rid the nation of the Taliban's illegal rule. They certainly don't want them back.

Since you won't take my word for it, I've dug out some info to support the facts I've already laid out.

Those areas cannot be riddled with training camps that the PEOPLE don't know about, can they?

There are currently 157 training camps and "more than 400 support locations" spread throughout the tribal areas and the settled districts of the Northwest Frontier Province, senior intelligence officials speaking on the condition of anonymity told The Long War Journal. This number does not include Taliban camps and support locations in Baluchistan province.

Other officials refused to give an exact number, only saying there are "well over 100 camps in northwestern Pakistan." Earlier this year, US intelligence sources told The Long War Journal that there were more than 100 camps inside northwestern Pakistan.

The camps vary in size and specialty, and some are temporary. An estimated 25 to 50 camps are considered "permanent," meaning they are at a fixed location, with buildings, and sometimes a barracks and a headquarters.

157 Terror Training Camps in Pakistan's Tribal Regions? - Stakelbeck on Terror: Eric Stakelbeck Blog - CBN News

And this is how the Taliban treat the locals. You know, those who you say support them:

TALIBAN militants who have seized swathes of North West Frontier Province in Pakistan have inflicted a reign of terror on villagers, landowners and the police, using kidnapping, looting, pillaging and murder to impose their will.

Yesterday, as Pakistani forces stepped up their campaign to retake territory in the districts of Buner, Dir and Swat, it emerged that in one Taliban-controlled village, Pir Baba in Buner, the militants were holding 2,000 people as human shields in case the army attacked.

Elsewhere the Taliban appeared to be relying on kidnapping to extort funds and intimidate the population. Many of their victims have been members of rich families.

“Kidnapping has become routine in our village. Armed Taliban were picking up people and then demanding a huge ransom for their release,” said an elderly refugee now living with his family in a tent in Timergara, a town in Dir.

Taliban terror holds 2,000 villagers as human shields - Times Online

New Topics

Forum List

Back