Taliban Now Winning

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The Taliban have gained the upper hand in Afghanistan, the top American commander there said, forcing the U.S. to change its strategy in the eight-year-old conflict by increasing the number of troops in heavily populated areas like the volatile southern city of Kandahar, the insurgency's spiritual home.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal warned that means U.S. casualties, already running at record levels, will remain high for months to come.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, the commander offered a preview of the strategic assessment he is to deliver to Washington later this month, saying the troop shifts are designed to better protect Afghan civilians from rising levels of Taliban violence and intimidation. The coming redeployments are the clearest manifestation to date of Gen. McChrystal's strategy for Afghanistan, which puts a premium on safeguarding the Afghan population rather than hunting down militants.

Taliban Now Winning - WSJ.com

They have the home team advantage, Willow.

Let them come here and watch how easily we'd kick their asses.

:lol::lol: hypocrite,, they did come here once.. and they kicked our asses..

we didnt get our asses kicked , i was close enough on 9/11 that if it had collapsed differently tower 2 would have fallen on me and neither i or my country got our asses kicked that day.

I wonder if our increased casualties in Afghanistan is related to the directive that Gen. McChrystal issued back in July that told U.S. troops to back off a mission if the enemy was close to civilians?

a lot of the far-right talking heads started complaining about civilian causaulties as soon as Obama was POTUS.....but when the U.S was invading Iraq (a country that had nothing to do with 9-11) and civilians were being murdered by the thousands these same guys were cheering.

Interesting headline choice by WSJ. I wonder if they bothered to check with General Patreaus. The article itself is accurate, but its headline is intended for shock value. Surprise surprise.

we didnt get our asses kicked , i was close enough on 9/11 that if it had collapsed differently tower 2 would have fallen on me and neither i or my country got our asses kicked that day.

we got our asses kicked.

we got our asses kicked.

you may be easily defeated but us Americans are not.

I love how the tune changed once Obama gained the throne. :lol:

Where are the cries of quagmire that we all came to love?

The taliban came here? Freaking moron... you're a huge part of the problem.... cause you can't tell one group from the other.

and the taliban has been getting the upper hand for a while... Afghanistan should have been addressed eight years ago. pakistan has nukes ... .so the taliban can't be allowed to make further inroads. yet, we really need to get out of the area there. these things actually take thought. you really shouldn't try to deal with things that will make your brain hurt.

idiot

Last edited:
America not defeated, now let me see, a draw in Korea, asses well and truly wupped in Vietnam, Iraq 1 and 2 basically a war againt a 3rd world nation and its innocent people not won anything there yet, 8 years in Afgansitan and nothing won there either. Yes its really looking good at the moment is it not.

Any sane person would get out of these countries, pay reparations and look after the folk at home who are loosing everything including their loved ones in illegal wars, mass murder and mass carpet bagging to benefit the few and not the many.

They are a large and mountainous country. Very few useable roads. Cities that are spread all over the place and not easily reachable. Cities that the enemy has an easy time hitting and running. In country where there is really not any true balancing power to the Taliban in the local ranks of Afghan people. We have no true objective or than to nation build. As Iraq and Vietnam have shown us is that is a tough job period. But has Vietnam and the Afghan-Soviet war has show in a country like Afghanistan, nation building is nearly impossible.

We are now trying to establish a government is a 4th world country that has never had anything close to a real government other than the Taliban, but then again this was more of decentralized Warlords across the country. Its a poor country and that is not going to change soon. Now unlike Iraq, the Taliban has a unlimited funds to support any cause they choose from the immensely profitable heroine trade and they have plenty of place to hide!

Many of the civilians are situated in remote vulnerable areas! What are the solution? I don't know, but what I do know is!

Al Qaeda attacked us, but they worked along side the Taliban, trained with the Taliban, received full protection and support of the Taliban and for the most part are ideologically similar to the Taliban in their radical and brutal interpretation pf Islam. For due respect Jillian the Taliban is just a culpable for attacking us on 9/11 as Al Qaeda is!

Forum List

Back