Talent is Over-rated: Practice Makes Perfect

While I do agree that practice is under-rated, talent I believe is just as important. If you have a talent in one specific study then you will most likely learn faster with practice as well as enjoy the process of study (thus one reason you learn faster) allowing you to excel beyond those with the same amount of study. Computers are my example, they are my talent and I learned all their inner working faster than they could advance, often times having to take long breaks for the next advance before having something new to study again.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Most people are good at practicing how to do something wrong. Then they have to unlearn what they've learned and then relearn it the right way (which rarely happens). So obviously you have to practice the right way.

And take any person off the street and teach them how to sing like Pavarotti. It's not going to happen.

The article is good in some ways, but misses the mark in others.

When I was a little kid, I wanted to be George Brett. But I soon saw that even if I practiced 23 hours a day, I would never be that good at baseball.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be Tony Hawk. But the same thing happened.

You either have it or you don't, and practice can only help on the margins.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Most people are good at practicing how to do something wrong. Then they have to unlearn what they've learned and then relearn it the right way (which rarely happens). So obviously you have to practice the right way.

And take any person off the street and teach them how to sing like Pavarotti. It's not going to happen.

The article is good in some ways, but misses the mark in others.

I learned this as 'Practice doesn't make perfect...practice makes permanent.'

And 'Poor Preparation Produces Poor Performance"

i agree. but i would go a step further and say that passion is even more important than practice.

when you are passionate about something, you don't even consider it practice. you consider it just fun.

Forum List

Back