Taking Well-Meaning Pro Life Efforts Too Far

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Apr 27, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I am strongly against abortion. However, it shocks me to read this and then have it confirmed by friends in medical school and friends who are nurses. Some folks on the anti-abortion are taking their stance way too far, and causing terribly unnecessary tragedy to take place for rape victims.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that a very high percentage of people who are pro-life are only sympathetic to the person thats raped, so long as they carry to term anyway. pretty sad, in my opinion.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

When you've been married as long as I have...it's images like those which I CLING to....

(sigh)...

Oh...to be young...and thin...and at least mildly attractive...or Rich.

:D

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It could be that they believe that punishing the child for the sin of the father is just adding further insult to injury and creating a new victimization level where society deems the child of a rapist to be an unnecessary burden on society, that they somehow have less of a right to life because of how they were brought into existence. It seems the article argues only one vision of how they personally believe that they, the people who believe that the child has a right to life, think and disregards any thoughtful impressions that may mitigate what the author believes to be an unreasoning position and wishes to hear no other motivating factor that would imply that they are well-reasoned people with a compassion toward the unborn regardless of their origin.

How could it be the child's fault that the mother was raped? Yet we impose the absolute, the death sentence, onto the child as if their actual origin defines them as refuse to be discarded as the imposition that society deems them to be.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,404

Where did you find these percentages. I'd be interested in seeing them.

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    just based on my personal experience dillo, nothing official or documented. didn't mean to send out that impression of an official stat.

7. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I can't give any official stats other than my own. I'm a little more center-right when it comes to abortion: I'm against abortion, but I do think it should be legal in cases or rape and incest. After a discussion on the subject awhile back, it did cross my mind that rape might be the one case where the abortion pill could be a good thing. There are those from the hardline, far right that will stand against it no matter what.

It's unfortunate that the extremists tend to label everyone on one side of the aisle. Yeah, I know it can happen to the left as well.

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    they waiting that long now?
    rape, incest, or some medical atrocity should be about the only way females should get access to something like this. jsut because little Sally and Billy werent careful and didnt use some form of contriceptive doesnt mean they can automatically get an abortion. if you want to play an adult game, deal with the after effects.
    something about taking responsibility for your actions or soemthing like that. i know, its a dying art form now days.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    And that is the crux of it. There are mothers in the world who are raising the children who were conceived by rape. The children are no less loved. I certainly don't want to minimize the trauma of rape, but like no1 said, the child is innocent, why should he/she be punished?