Taking Troubling Trolls To Task

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Joe Moma made a good point.

Suppose that you lived in England and wanted to replace Her Majesty with an elected President.

It probably would not be a good idea (for your personal safety) to say that at work or in a pub.

So at least you could get it off your chest by posting your opinion on a forum. (I have read, however, that forums in the United Kingdom are now strictly censored. And here in the United States, almost all forums will no longer allow certain controversial points of view.)
Bad Idea. In England they don't have the same rights as we do, and since all ISP addresses can be traced, they could get in trouble still.

Suppose that you lived in England and wanted to replace Her Majesty with an elected President.

It probably would not be a good idea (for your personal safety) to say that at work or in a pub.

So at least you could get it off your chest by posting your opinion on a forum. (I have read, however, that forums in the United Kingdom are now strictly censored. And here in the United States, almost all forums will no longer allow certain controversial points of view.)
Bad Idea. In England they don't have the same rights as we do, and since all ISP addresses can be traced, they could get in trouble still.

INdeed, people are being arrested for making "anti-islamic" statements.

I have not seen examples of what the liberals there are claiming is "hate speech" now.

BUt considering the uproar over Trump's retweet of that muslim attacking the kid on crutches, I imagine it is probably complete shit.

....Spew filth you don't have the courage to say to a person's face. ...

You keep repeating this "to my face!" bit. Feeling your oats today, old fella?
In order for us to to "say it to his face" he would have to post his personal information so we would know where to go. imirite?

"Come to me! I'm right here!" will be the next phase of this meltdown. For some reason, the wannabe tough guys always demand people travel to them, but won't pedal their Huffy around the corner to fulfill their 'Bad 80s Movie' fantasies.

In trouble for what?

In order for us to to "say it to his face" he would have to post his personal information so we would know where to go. imirite?

Absolutely not. Give me a verifiable way to identify you and we can meet publicly. I'll travel to you. I met one guy at a Waffle House on his way to be a vendor at a gun show. Old fella? I work with guys in their 20s and 30s that are hesitant to climb in the ring with me. Just because you see a little snow on the rooftop doesn't mean there isn't plenty of fire in the furnace.

I have long suspected that is exactly the case. Otherwise, it don't make sense that mods allow the same people to go from one thread to another, picking board fights.

That was obvious with the troll wannabe that tried to tell me this is USMB and they don't care what is done on other boards. It's the same crap on all boards! If I singled USMB out, it would amount to questioning moderation. They're slick. For their other fellow trolls and mods who reserve the board to cater to a single demographic: One day someone will figure out how to obtain the personal details on all posters and the trolls will get exposed.

Technology is always changing.

Mods on this board are decidedly right of center. For someone center left to report a troll does little good, but it totally works the other way around. I'll give the mods here this: They don't moderate very often.

Two schools of thought:

1) Mods who moderate least, moderate best
2) Mods who moderate often over-moderate

Both are correct

It wouldn't take a lot of moderation to reign in the worse trolls. It would just have to be done - whether it's this board or any other.

No thanks, I don't want to meet any gays anywhere.

Absolutely not. Give me a verifiable way to identify you and we can meet publicly. I'll travel to you. I met one guy at a Waffle House on his way to be a vendor at a gun show. Old fella? I work with guys in their 20s and 30s that are hesitant to climb in the ring with me. Just because you see a little snow on the rooftop doesn't mean there isn't plenty of fire in the furnace.

:lmao:

Badass!

:lmao:

I'm right at the corner of Go and FuckYourself, Anytown, USA. I'll be here all day. I'll be wearing a huge purple felt Fedora with a large yellow feather in it.

Last edited:
Troll: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

Definition of TROLL

Virtually all discussion boards have become the exclusive property of trolls. Just like talk radio is dominated by the right and the liberal left own tv news, the trolls have captured the discussion boards.

Give the devil their due. Your average troll is cunning and sly. They tend to hang on boards where a majority of moderators think like they do on subject matter. That way, they can push the envelope and most can get by saying and doing things that would get the average poster banned. Trolling becomes the profession of some posters.

I have run ins with them, even here, wherein they have tens of thousands of posts. So, when they stalk an average poster, it's almost difficult for a moderator to detect. Since the pro has the time and inclination, they can stalk and troll one or two posters at a time, plus post on other threads so as to make it all but impossible for a moderator to figure it out... AND allow the troll's fellow thinkers who moderate posts to allow the troll to get away with what they're doing.

If moderators like to babysit and protect the trolls, that is their business. OTOH, one discussion board warned its members:

"Just a reminder that thread topics focused on personally attacking other members constitutes flaming, and will be quarantined."

Some boards allow you to argue about off - topic matter and even flame other posters provided you add something to the thread. This does not take away from the fact that the off topic flame and the attempt to draw someone out and force them to address the troll in a manner inconsistent with the rules is not entertaining (except to the trolls) and it is not educational. It drives the average poster off the thread and it ends in a few whizzing contests on a thread that then gives moderators a pretext for reprimanding the average poster and / or locking the thread down.

The way moderators could help is to watch the trolls... even the people they like and are helping to spread the same political sentiments. If those trolls are helping to get threads locked down and then immediately following other posters onto other threads and subtly starting a whizzing contest with a poster from a previous thread, it might be time to acknowledge the troll, warn them and ban them if necessary.

My position is a simple one: Just like the fallout from the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal began, one day the trolls will get on the wrong side of history and be exposed one by one. And, they will be dealt with. History proves that the one constant is change. One day those who are anonymous trolls will be identified and exposed. Those who enable them will receive the wrath of the people as well. Being victimized by dedicated trolls, but wanting to face them in person, I'm committed to bringing down trolls. In the alternative, I'd settle for that moment where someone can tell us how to identify these obnoxious misfits and hold them personally accountable. If the management of boards will listen to the complaints about trolling and counsel the individual trolls, it may make the situation tolerable for a time. The one thing I'd like to see is a troll confronted, face to face, and the encounter posted on social media, YouTube, etc.
How long have you been an angry homosexual?

How about that? We have a barking bitch... and just a puppy at that. Which one of the trolls owns you?

In trouble for what?

Seriously, Unk, there are "hatespeech" laws in UK. You could be arrested for saying "I think we should deport Muslims."

Troll: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

Definition of TROLL

Virtually all discussion boards have become the exclusive property of trolls. Just like talk radio is dominated by the right and the liberal left own tv news, the trolls have captured the discussion boards.

Give the devil their due. Your average troll is cunning and sly. They tend to hang on boards where a majority of moderators think like they do on subject matter. That way, they can push the envelope and most can get by saying and doing things that would get the average poster banned. Trolling becomes the profession of some posters.

I have run ins with them, even here, wherein they have tens of thousands of posts. So, when they stalk an average poster, it's almost difficult for a moderator to detect. Since the pro has the time and inclination, they can stalk and troll one or two posters at a time, plus post on other threads so as to make it all but impossible for a moderator to figure it out... AND allow the troll's fellow thinkers who moderate posts to allow the troll to get away with what they're doing.

If moderators like to babysit and protect the trolls, that is their business. OTOH, one discussion board warned its members:

"Just a reminder that thread topics focused on personally attacking other members constitutes flaming, and will be quarantined."

Some boards allow you to argue about off - topic matter and even flame other posters provided you add something to the thread. This does not take away from the fact that the off topic flame and the attempt to draw someone out and force them to address the troll in a manner inconsistent with the rules is not entertaining (except to the trolls) and it is not educational. It drives the average poster off the thread and it ends in a few whizzing contests on a thread that then gives moderators a pretext for reprimanding the average poster and / or locking the thread down.

The way moderators could help is to watch the trolls... even the people they like and are helping to spread the same political sentiments. If those trolls are helping to get threads locked down and then immediately following other posters onto other threads and subtly starting a whizzing contest with a poster from a previous thread, it might be time to acknowledge the troll, warn them and ban them if necessary.

My position is a simple one: Just like the fallout from the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal began, one day the trolls will get on the wrong side of history and be exposed one by one. And, they will be dealt with. History proves that the one constant is change. One day those who are anonymous trolls will be identified and exposed. Those who enable them will receive the wrath of the people as well. Being victimized by dedicated trolls, but wanting to face them in person, I'm committed to bringing down trolls. In the alternative, I'd settle for that moment where someone can tell us how to identify these obnoxious misfits and hold them personally accountable. If the management of boards will listen to the complaints about trolling and counsel the individual trolls, it may make the situation tolerable for a time. The one thing I'd like to see is a troll confronted, face to face, and the encounter posted on social media, YouTube, etc.
How long have you been an angry homosexual?

How about that? We have a barking bitch... and just a puppy at that. Which one of the trolls owns you?
And he's humping your leg as we post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back