Taking Care of Our Iraq Veterans

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
"The number of suicides among veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan may exceed the combat death toll because of inadequate mental health care, the U.S. government's top psychiatric researcher said.

Community mental health centers, hobbled by financial limits, haven't provided enough scientifically sound care, especially in rural areas, said Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He briefed reporters today at the American Psychiatric Association's annual meeting in Washington.

Insel echoed a Rand Corporation study published last month that found about 20 percent of returning U.S. soldiers have post- traumatic stress disorder or depression, and only half of them receive treatment. About 1.6 million U.S. troops have fought in the two wars since October 2001, the report said. About 4,560 soldiers had died in the conflicts as of today, the Defense Department reported on its Web site.

Based on those figures and established suicide rates for similar patients who commonly develop substance abuse and other complications of post-traumatic stress disorder, "it's quite possible that the suicides and psychiatric mortality of this war could trump the combat deaths,'' Insel said."

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/05/we-owe-them-bet.html

For all those who support the troops, write your representatives to tell them to get off their asses and correct this.

That is what supporting the troops is really about. Not just wearing a flag pin.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/05/we-owe-them-bet.html

For all those who support the troops, write your representatives to tell them to get off their asses and correct this.

That is what supporting the troops is really about. Not just wearing a flag pin.

You are aware that active duty military do not seek help because they are worried what will happen to their careers or what their buddies will think? The Congress can not do a damn thing about that.

The VA has tried to address the issue, I guess more earmarked funds might help there. As for Active Duty they too are addressing the issue. I just lost my shrink because he has been hired by Camp Lejeune.

The problem is that military people don't want to look weak and worry they will lose their careers if they seek help. Throwing money at that won't fix it.

Here in Town the Base is sending Marines to local Mental Health professionals to supplement the military Hospital. Not being active I am not sure what criteria determines who goes on base and who goes off. I suspect since the local office I go to has a dedicated testing staff they may be sending them for testing to expediate the process. The place I go to hired a new doctor and has a military doctor assigned to assist in the process. They ONLY see active Duty Military.

"The number of suicides among veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan may exceed the combat death toll because of inadequate mental health care, the U.S. government's top psychiatric researcher said.

Those aren't my words.

Hell, you know that they were discharging troops who now had mental problems and saying they existed before they enlisted so they wouldn't have to give them further care.

Those aren't my words.

Hell, you know that they were discharging troops who now had mental problems and saying they existed before they enlisted so they wouldn't have to give them further care.

Just as you know a percentage of those troops "suddenly developed" those problem when they find out they can leech off the system. It's not a one-sided argument.

Claiming the Government is not doing anything is a laugh. I listed several changes I have seen here and also those listed by the Government. Further you know as well as I do that Military members hide these kind of problems.

I never said weren't doing "anything", that is you disclaimer.

Just as you know a percentage of those troops "suddenly developed" those problem when they find out they can leech off the system. It's not a one-sided argument.

You have any data on this? What percent? My experience has been that the buttholes make up a small percentage that they judge the majority on.

The innocent many are punished for the deeds of the evil few, is how I worded in in a book I am writing.

I would rather a few malingerers get freebies than many deserving veterans get shit on.

I am seeing the same thing that happens with every war. When the vets come back, their initial treatment is lacking when you consider what they gave. This is not a partisan remark. It is one that says we need as a country to treat out military better when they come wounded physically and mentally.

You have any data on this? What percent? My experience has been that the buttholes make up a small percentage that they judge the majority on.

The innocent many are punished for the deeds of the evil few, is how I worded in in a book I am writing.

I would rather a few malingerers get freebies than many deserving veterans get shit on.

I am seeing the same thing that happens with every war. When the vets come back, their initial treatment is lacking when you consider what they gave. This is not a partisan remark. It is one that says we need as a country to treat out military better when they come wounded physically and mentally.

And we are trying. You act as if the Government has done nothing at all. As if they are just sweeping it under the rug.

:rofl:

For someone who stereotypes all conservatives and Republican by the actions of the small minority of different extremists, you sure do go 180 here.

I assume if you were in for 20 you know as well as any vet on this board the rules are designed around the bad apples, just as civilian laws are designed around the bad apples.

If they weren't, there'd be no need for them, would there?

There's a process. Everyone I know that's gone through the process has the benefits.

For someone who stereotypes all conservatives and Republican by the actions of the small minority of different extremists, you sure do go 180 here.

For someone who says he reads, you sure can go 180. I believe that I have stated again and again that not all republicans and conservatives are total assholes but a small percent that is currently in charge. Partial assholes, of course.:rofl:

I believe you and Retired are the ones who use the mass label of loonie liberals far more often than I do any about overall blame of all conservatives.:eusa_liar:

JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T GET WHAT I SAID. I THINK THAT RIGHT NOW THERE IS A SMALL GROUP OF GREEDY AMORAL BASTARD NEO CONS WHO HAVE STOLEN YOUR PARTY AND OUR COUNTRY AND DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANY OF US.

I do fault the Repubs Reps and Sens who followed Bush blindly in every effort he pushed or ignored any crime he committed.

For someone who says he reads, you sure can go 180. I believe that I have stated again and again that not all republicans and conservatives are total assholes but a small percent that is currently in charge. Partial assholes, of course.:rofl:

I believe you and Retired are the ones who use the mass label of loonie liberals far more often than I do any about overall blame of all conservatives.:eusa_liar:

JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T GET WHAT I SAID. I THINK THAT RIGHT NOW THERE IS A SMALL GROUP OF GREEDY AMORAL BASTARD NEO CONS WHO HAVE STOLEN YOUR PARTY AND OUR COUNTRY AND DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANY OF US.

I do fault the Repubs Reps and Sens who followed Bush blindly in every effort he pushed or ignored any crime he committed.

No, you just post ignorant propaganda.

Your assessment is incorrect. A whole bunch of extremist LEFTwingnuts stole MY party, you being typical of them. I've never been a member of the GOP. I HAVE been a registered Democrat.

I don't follow Bush blindly. There's plenty of criticism from me on this board alone. What I don't do is listen to partisan lies and fabricated accusations because some of you are so mentally unbalanced you have to Republicans to the point of making up bullshit and/or spinning anything you can in an attempt to justify that hatred.

No sale.

No, you just post ignorant propaganda.

Your assessment is incorrect. A whole bunch of extremist LEFTwingnuts stole MY party, you being typical of them. I've never been a member of the GOP. I HAVE been a registered Democrat.

I don't follow Bush blindly. There's plenty of criticism from me on this board alone. What I don't do is listen to partisan lies and fabricated accusations because some of you are so mentally unbalanced you have to Republicans to the point of making up bullshit and/or spinning anything you can in an attempt to justify that hatred.

Then prove it.

Then prove it.

Want to be a bit more specific? Prove what? If you are referring to proving Bush "didn't" do something, the onus is not on me to prove a thing.

If you are referring to my being critical of Bush, all you have to do is take the blinders off.

Here's something YOU can prove though. Find a thread where I ACTUALLY SUPPORT Bush. And I don't mean call bullshit accusations against him bullshit. I mean of the actual issues that are currently in the news, find where I have supported Bush stance in say ... oh ... the last year.

You'll find one. Period. And I don't even recall what the topic was.

Clue that you lefties don't get: not supporting YOUR crap does NOT automatically mean I default to supporting someone else's.

Plain and simple ... had Joe Biden won the nomination in 2004, I would more than likely have voted for him. I would not vote for Gore or Kerry. They were idiots. I will not vote for Obama.

That's on YOU. It isn't because I think the GOP is offering jack shit. It's that YOU are offering up another loony tune and I'll vote to keep him out of office.

Forum List

Back