Take a Penny, Leave a Penny

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Does anyone remember take a/leave a? I used to always see them by the register. You'd pay for your purchase, take the bills, and drop some coins in. If you were a dime or so short on something one day, you'd take a coin from the take-a/leave-a. It was a community thing- when you had a few extra cents, you'd leave it for someone who might need it later. It was as close as you'd ever see to an ideal 'charity' or 'assistance' system. The owner.cashier would make sure there was never too much in, to avoid abuse, and everything was fine. It said something good about society that it existed and worked. At the end of the day, I'm sure, what was left went to help the cashier if the drawer was a few cents short or perhaps went back in for the next morning. It was a beautiful thing.

And then- they almost all disappeared. Why?

At one of the service stations I go to alot, there is a quarter super glued to the floor almost in front of the cash register. It's funny to watch people try to pick up that quarter. All the regulars know about it and don't bother it.

I still see some of those 'penny' cups.

But,,,a lot have been replaced by the "Please Tip Me" jars at the coffee joints and the deli..et al..........

They still have em around here at the smaller gas and go's and such.
I think the big chains outlawed them.

They're still at the gas stations I go to. And they even have their own little trays they sit in that were designed for them.

Oh, and I don't do the tip jar thing for professions that are not normally tip-worthy.

Like, carry out food. We do carry out instead of delivery at my house (cheaper). Yet there's still a tip jar on the counter and a tip line on a credit card receipt. I came to you, schmucks. Am I supposed to tip you for handing my food across a 3' counter space?

I wholeheartedly agree with tipping delivery drivers, waitresses and bartenders. Anyone else? Not so much.

And on like the....3 times? I've ever purchased anything at Starbucks I haven't tipped either.

Call me RadioMcScrooge I guess.

main.jpg

I see those take-a-penny things in most stores, not just gas stations. I give and occasionally take. It's simple and it works. Too bad more things aren't like that.

We have them quite a few places around here. But there just for pennies, Most people don't like pennies anyway. I have droped a nickle in them here and there, But mostly the two or three pennies you get with your change. Have also taken pennies from the rather then breaking another hundred dollar bill (LOL). But also some of the cashiers around here will give ya 95¢ back rather then 94¢.

Does anyone remember take a/leave a? I used to always see them by the register. You'd pay for your purchase, take the bills, and drop some coins in. If you were a dime or so short on something one day, you'd take a coin from the take-a/leave-a. It was a community thing- when you had a few extra cents, you'd leave it for someone who might need it later. It was as close as you'd ever see to an ideal 'charity' or 'assistance' system. The owner.cashier would make sure there was never too much in, to avoid abuse, and everything was fine. It said something good about society that it existed and worked. At the end of the day, I'm sure, what was left went to help the cashier if the drawer was a few cents short or perhaps went back in for the next morning. It was a beautiful thing.

And then- they almost all disappeared. Why?

I see them everywhere I go.

And on like the....3 times? I've ever purchased anything at Starbucks I haven't tipped either.

Same could be said for the few times I've stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a coffee. Uhm yeah ... sorry ... I'm not leaving you a tip for passing me the cup of coffee I just purchased.

I do see the 'leave a penny, take a penny' in many of the establishments I frequent.

Same could be said for the few times I've stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a coffee. Uhm yeah ... sorry ... I'm not leaving you a tip for passing me the cup of coffee I just purchased.

I do see the 'leave a penny, take a penny' in many of the establishments I frequent.

Yeah, those tip cups crack me up.

"Hey kid, if it's your job to slice and butter my bagel, you're not waiting on me, I'm waiting on you."

If the place has a counter,I usually see them. If not they will usually let go a few cents unless it is a chain store

Forum List

Back