take a minute...wear a helmet

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
wear a helmet when doing things that could crack your head. helmets will prevent about 80% of all fatal head injuries.

the natasha richardson story brought this to mind....she had what should have been a "my bad" at skiing and yet, this evening she is going home to die.

we are all guilty of it...easy to say this and that should wear a helmet but then i dont horse back riding....i do when i am on my atv but not for short rides...so i am just as guilty ...but we need to put the brain buckets on.

Helmets do no good at all in a high-speed motorcycle crash when the head hits a hard object. But you'll never see me out on my bike without one.

Helmets do no good at all in a high-speed motorcycle crash when the head hits a hard object. But you'll never see me out on my bike without one.

Maybe not high speed in a head on collision, but I'd rather have it on than not. I had a guy almost two years ago pull out in front of me across traffic in Reno and I T-boned the side of his GMC Denali in the rear quarter panel. Needless to say I flew right up over my handle bars like a missile, head first. Had I not had a helmet on, I more than likely would have suffered a concussion. As it was, I stood up after I flew into the intersection and wanted to beat the shit out of the guy.

Yes, wear a helmet. Even though there is no helmet law in Wisconsin, and many of the people I ride with here don't wear one, I DO!

Last edited:

Maybe not high speed in a head on collision, but I'd rather have it on than not. I had a guy almost two years ago pull out in front of me across traffic in Reno and I T-boned the side of his GMC Denali in the rear quarter panel. Needless to say I flew right up over my handle bars like a missile, head first. Had I not had a helmet on, I more than likely would have suffered a concussion. As it was, I stood up after I flew into the intersection and wanted to beat the shit out of the guy.

Yes, wear a helmet. Even though there is no helmet law in Wisconsin, and many of the people I ride with here don't wear one, I DO!
Interestingly, as more details have come out, she never even felt hurt after the fall, which by all accounts was minor. She was laughing, joking about it, etc. until an hour later, when the headache developed.

Helmets won't help much with concussions. Just ask Troy Aikman or any other football player. When the brain starts to swell, you're in alot of trouble.

Locally we had a motorcyclist die recently, he t-boned a vehicle too and went flying -- head first into the curb across the way. Dead instantly. Helmet no help for his crushed melon.

Another, he t-boned a car, the impact blew off his helmet. He flew and hit the street, snapped his neck. No head injuries though.

When it's your time, it's your time helmet or not.

But yeah, I never ride without mine.

wear a helmet when doing things that could crack your head. helmets will prevent about 80% of all fatal head injuries.

the natasha richardson story brought this to mind....she had what should have been a "my bad" at skiing and yet, this evening she is going home to die.

we are all guilty of it...easy to say this and that should wear a helmet but then i dont horse back riding....i do when i am on my atv but not for short rides...so i am just as guilty ...but we need to put the brain buckets on.
Sonny Bono in a skiing accident in 1998, Michael Kennedy in 1997, and now Natasha Richardson. All of these were well known people; otherwise their deaths would not have been raised to the public's consciousness. But how much more common must it be with ordinary people, and since that's the case we aren't conscious of how dangerous it really is.

Richardson's was an ordinary spill, and should've been no big deal and may have been because of some pre-existing problem. All I'm alluding to here is that this "sample" suggests that skiing accidents must be a lot more common than we realize, since the deaths of ordinary people in skiing accidents wouldn't get much play. Especially since those people most often wouldn't have died in their own community but would've traveled a distance to do it. If motorcycles are dangerous because of full body exposure to blunt force trauma, then how much more must it be sliding down a mountain slope, especially on unfamiliar slopes, and with people who lack the coordination of a motorcyclist.

Last edited:

A motorcycle helmet will not protect you if you hit a brick wall, but it will protect you if a small pebble moving at 70 MPH gets kicked up from a truck in front of you.

...the coordination of a motorcyclist.

mechanics_suspension_fat_motorcycle.jpg

A Motorcyclist

A highly coordinated human with lightning fast reflexes allowing him the ability to dodge bullets shot from a gun.

(Or at least absorb the bullet with his many folds and rolls.)

...the coordination of a motorcyclist.

mechanics_suspension_fat_motorcycle.jpg

A Motorcyclist

A highly coordinated human with lightning fast reflexes allowing him the ability to dodge bullets shot from a gun.

(Or at least absorb the bullet with his many folds and rolls.)
I pity the poor scooter under that fat bastard. But it's probably his only way around, since he's too damn fat to fit in a car, let alone fit behind a steering wheel.

My father was involved in a head on collision in Tennessee while riding his motorcycle last May. Both he and the car were going about 30 MPH. Do the math. He broke every rib on his left side, broke his collarbone, popped his left lung, lost half his left kidney, and suffered severe head trauma from a blow to the head. He was in a coma and couldn't breathe on his own for about a month and was a shell of himself for the next four. His recovery since has been nothing short of miraculous. He is back to work full time and and pretty much himself again.

He gear, especially his helmet, is what kept him in one piece and saved his life.

Hmmm... something about falling and hitting your head in snow that doesn't sound like trauma to me. I think she had an anneurism. All the classic signs of it.

Hmmm... something about falling and hitting your head in snow that doesn't sound like trauma to me. I think she had an anneurism. All the classic signs of it.

why do you think? she did not have an anneurism.....she fell and hit her head on ice..causing the brain to swell...from bleeding....

you dont ski do you?

o and dr davids do tell the classic signs of an anneurism

"A patient can appear so deceivingly normal at first," said Graffagnino, director of Duke University Medical Center's Neurosciences Critical Care Unit. "But they actually have a brain bleed and as the pressure builds up, they'll experience classic symptoms of a traumatic brain injury."

Such injuries are known as epidural hemorrhage. Blood gets trapped between the skull and the hard layer of skin between the bone and brain, known as the dura mater. As the blood flows from the ruptured artery, the fluid builds and punctures the dura.

Patients are often unaware they've fractured their skull. In these cases, the fracture generally occurs just above the ear, in the temporal bone. "There is an artery that runs above the skull and can get torn and begin to bleed above the lining of the brain." Graffagnino says.

"At that point all the pressure is pushed on the brain, causing it to swell but there is often no room for it to move inside the skull cavity. And as the pressure continues, it reduces blood flow to the brain and a patient would begin to feel the symptoms."

The condition is commonly referred to as "talk and die" syndrome among neuroscience physicians and surgeons, because the patient can decline so rapidly.

Graffagnino says the initial fall or injury doesn't have to be hard at all. The delay in symptoms can range from five minutes to three hours after the accident.

If an individual isn't medically evaluated after a car accident, sports injury, or just a slip in the driveway, recognizing the signs brain injury early is critical. Nausea, severe headache, glossy eyes, sudden sleepiness, are all common symptoms. Getting to a hospital within the first few hours is critical to prevent permanent brain damage, experts say. An emergency room team can quickly determine the severity of your injury. An emergency craniotomy -- opening of the skull -- surgery is often needed to stop the bleeding and control brain swelling.

Immediate treatment is essential after a brain injury because the initial damage caused by swelling often is irreversible.

'Minor' head injuries can turn serious rapidly, experts say - CNN.com

I'm wearing one right now.

What?

You aren't?

One can never be too careful.

And yes, while the kevlar body suit I am wearing as I am typing this missive is a tad uncomfortable, just think how happy I'll be if a stray bullet came crashing through my window and that kevlar saved my life.

And of course you all know that I surrounded by loaded guns, too, just in case a revolution breaks out, right?

Forum List

Back