take a minute...wear a helmet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strollingbones, Mar 17, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,922
    wear a helmet when doing things that could crack your head. helmets will prevent about 80% of all fatal head injuries.

the natasha richardson story brought this to mind....she had what should have been a "my bad" at skiing and yet, this evening she is going home to die.

we are all guilty of it...easy to say this and that should wear a helmet but then i dont horse back riding....i do when i am on my atv but not for short rides...so i am just as guilty ...but we need to put the brain buckets on.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Many people make that mistake, they believe it just won't happen to them, but sometime it does.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    waste of a bucket--

4. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Helmets do no good at all in a high-speed motorcycle crash when the head hits a hard object. But you'll never see me out on my bike without one.

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    Maybe not high speed in a head on collision, but I'd rather have it on than not. I had a guy almost two years ago pull out in front of me across traffic in Reno and I T-boned the side of his GMC Denali in the rear quarter panel. Needless to say I flew right up over my handle bars like a missile, head first. Had I not had a helmet on, I more than likely would have suffered a concussion. As it was, I stood up after I flew into the intersection and wanted to beat the shit out of the guy.

Yes, wear a helmet. Even though there is no helmet law in Wisconsin, and many of the people I ride with here don't wear one, I DO!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Interestingly, as more details have come out, she never even felt hurt after the fall, which by all accounts was minor. She was laughing, joking about it, etc. until an hour later, when the headache developed.

Helmets won't help much with concussions. Just ask Troy Aikman or any other football player. When the brain starts to swell, you're in alot of trouble.

Locally we had a motorcyclist die recently, he t-boned a vehicle too and went flying -- head first into the curb across the way. Dead instantly. Helmet no help for his crushed melon.

Another, he t-boned a car, the impact blew off his helmet. He flew and hit the street, snapped his neck. No head injuries though.

When it's your time, it's your time helmet or not.

But yeah, I never ride without mine.

7. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Sonny Bono in a skiing accident in 1998, Michael Kennedy in 1997, and now Natasha Richardson. All of these were well known people; otherwise their deaths would not have been raised to the public's consciousness. But how much more common must it be with ordinary people, and since that's the case we aren't conscious of how dangerous it really is.

Richardson's was an ordinary spill, and should've been no big deal and may have been because of some pre-existing problem. All I'm alluding to here is that this "sample" suggests that skiing accidents must be a lot more common than we realize, since the deaths of ordinary people in skiing accidents wouldn't get much play. Especially since those people most often wouldn't have died in their own community but would've traveled a distance to do it. If motorcycles are dangerous because of full body exposure to blunt force trauma, then how much more must it be sliding down a mountain slope, especially on unfamiliar slopes, and with people who lack the coordination of a motorcyclist.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    A motorcycle helmet will not protect you if you hit a brick wall, but it will protect you if a small pebble moving at 70 MPH gets kicked up from a truck in front of you.

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492

[​IMG]

A Motorcyclist

A highly coordinated human with lightning fast reflexes allowing him the ability to dodge bullets shot from a gun.

(Or at least absorb the bullet with his many folds and rolls.)

10. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Hard to believe the woman died from something that seemed like nothing.