Tagg Romney Opposes Hospice In His Town

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
I guess Tagg, his wife and all of the other wealthy residents of Belmont, MA don't like the idea of a hospice center being built in their town. Money trumps the welfare of the sick and dying. How compassionate.

Romney opposition to hospice ironic - Boston.com

Local officials received an inquiry this spring from Integra Medical Properties, a Georgia-based company interested in building a residential hospice facility on the town land adjacent to the country club and in the woods deep behind Tagg Romney’s street. It was to be one-story, about 15,000 square feet, set far back from the neighborhood.

Belmont planners seized on it. The town needed the revenue, the site was well buffered, and residents, they thought, might appreciate the service.

Sure they would. Belmont Hill, it ends up, is like Hingham without the harbor. Residents immediately printed up lawn signs by the hundreds. They launched an antihospice website and Facebook page. They raised the specter of hearses and ambulances parading down their streets.

All of which is slightly amusing if you take a drive around Woodfall Road, which borders the site. The quaint and older ranches and split-levels are overshadowed by gargantuan new mansions crammed onto lots about three sizes too small. My personal favorite was a garish, 9,000-square-foot brick structure squeezed onto half an acre and seemingly abandoned before it was completed. Sitting in its scraggly yard is the sign, “Preserve our Neighborhood.”

At an August selectmen’s meeting, according to a video posted by the Belmont Citizen-Herald, Tagg Romney stood and told the board, “I certainly would not have built my house if I thought there was a possibility of a hospice going there. The value of all our homes will decrease dramatically.”

I guess Tagg, his wife and all of the other wealthy residents of Belmont, MA don't like the idea of a hospice center being built in their town. Money trumps the welfare of the sick and dying. How compassionate.

Local officials received an inquiry this spring from Integra Medical Properties, a Georgia-based company interested in building a residential hospice facility on the town land adjacent to the country club and in the woods deep behind Tagg Romney’s street. It was to be one-story, about 15,000 square feet, set far back from the neighborhood.

Belmont planners seized on it. The town needed the revenue, the site was well buffered, and residents, they thought, might appreciate the service.

Sure they would. Belmont Hill, it ends up, is like Hingham without the harbor. Residents immediately printed up lawn signs by the hundreds. They launched an antihospice website and Facebook page. They raised the specter of hearses and ambulances parading down their streets.

All of which is slightly amusing if you take a drive around Woodfall Road, which borders the site. The quaint and older ranches and split-levels are overshadowed by gargantuan new mansions crammed onto lots about three sizes too small. My personal favorite was a garish, 9,000-square-foot brick structure squeezed onto half an acre and seemingly abandoned before it was completed. Sitting in its scraggly yard is the sign, “Preserve our Neighborhood.”

At an August selectmen’s meeting, according to a video posted by the Belmont Citizen-Herald, Tagg Romney stood and told the board, “I certainly would not have built my house if I thought there was a possibility of a hospice going there. The value of all our homes will decrease dramatically.”

Tagg...Mitt once-removed??

If Romney's record indicates that he will improve the economy, why would you care re: the OP?

Things like a background in a racist, anti-American church, and radical associations, ...and even eating dogs, don't seem to matter to you....

....so where's the beef?

Last edited:
  • Banned
I didn't realize Tagg Romney was running for president, but thanks for the info just the same.

Which is why this thread is in the Current Events forum instead of the Politics forum. You're welcome.

• Banned

If Romney's record indicates that he will improve the economy, why would you care re: the OP?

Things like a background in a racist, anti-American church, and radical associations, ...and even eating dogs, don't seem to matter to you....

....so where's the beef?

Deflection noted.

....so where's the beef?

Deflection noted.

I didn't expect you to be able to answer.

Logic escapes you.

stupid ass thread NOTED

Good grief, we've heard about their horse, next it will be their dog....OH WAIT

• Banned
  • Banned
More:

Tagg speaks, the selectmen act. They pretty much killed the proposal on the spot, saying they would restrict bids to those who planned to build only houses on the property.

Which leads to the Irony part of our program. Maybe it’s vaguely understandable why neighbors wouldn’t want a hospice in their community, even if, as Integra partner Tom Lewis Jr. said on the phone recently, “There are no screaming sirens. People don’t drive down the street and say, ‘I’m dying, let me pull in there.’ ”

But there was another controversial proposal on Belmont Hill not all that long ago, and the Romneys played a far different role. When Mormon church leaders announced plans to build a 94,000-square-foot temple on Belmont Hill, residents packed hearings, swamped newspapers with letters, and filed court challenges. Mitt Romney spoke on behalf of the plan, then told the Globe at the time of the August 2000 opening, “It feels great to have a temple closer to home.”

So when it was a Mormon temple on Belmont Hill, one Romney backed the plan. When it’s a hospice on Belmont Hill, another Romney opposed it.

The acorn doesn't.... reading the right wing, conservative, republican apologists for the privileged strikes me as funny on a number of levels. When you hobnob with these same wealthy brats you soon realize their view of reality is a bubble that few experience. So do rwcra know any of these people or are they too among the top say 5 to 10 percent of the population? Or do they really have so little compassion for basic human dignity that it's OK for the wealthy to manage society as a feudal landlord would? Rich kids are spoiled brats, not that lots of the less wealthy are not spoiled. They care not for society but for privilege which they assume is owed to them. They are the epitome of an entitlement mentality.

The acorn doesn't.... reading the right wing, conservative, republican apologists for the privileged strikes me as funny on a number of levels. When you hobnob with these same wealthy brats you soon realize their view of reality is a bubble that few experience. So do rwcra know any of these people or are they too among the top say 5 to 10 percent of the population? Or do they really have so little compassion for basic human dignity that it's OK for the wealthy to manage society as a feudal landlord would? Rich kids are spoiled brats, not that lots of the less wealthy are not spoiled. They care not for society but for privilege which they assume is owed to them. They are the epitome of an entitlement mentality.

:thup:

Oh boy...yet you vote for those same wealthy brats..

I guess that's ok as long as they have a D after their name because they "Pretend" they care about you
Kennedy's
Pelosi's
etc etc

Last edited:
the kennedys and romneys are liberals of a feather. didnt the kennedys oppose windmills?

Didn't the green energy loving Kennedy's of that famous Kennedy clan
stop some sort of windmill project that was going to be built near their
property?...

I seem to remember something about it.
I wonder if they had any influence on whether that project went through.
Just a thought.

It's kinda sad to troll the Internet hour after hour
so you can come up with some sort of dirt on the opposition.
Now you're moving to family members...Was that your assignment today
from the Democrat party....

Windmills, which require studies on their impact on the ecosystem vs. hospices, which simply provide comfort to terminally ill people and their families . Ok :lol:

Meanwhile, a Mormon temple in the same town was AOK with the Romneys.

I'm not sure how the fact that they don't want a hospice facility in the middle of their community indicates anything at all.

Forum List

Back