Tactics to limit the Federal Government

☭proletarian☭;2018971 said:
1) Return federally owned lands to the States

2) Let's try this for a change

3) Stop letting stupid people vote

4) Get the smart people to actually vote the vermin out of office

Weren't we told "the smart people" put this govenment in place?

Slack,

First, the War on Drugs is a joke. There is not a single reason to make THC illegal and the way we're fighting other drugs is proving about as successful as prohibition. Get the Fed out of it save, perhaps, for large cartels and producers. Let the States decide how they wish to handle other drugs.

As for eagles, let's be honest. As much as I'd love to save every furry or cute thing on Earth, we must be reasonable. It's one thing to say you can't hunt the birds or destroy specific plots of land. It's another to spend all this money to birdwatch and track every last bird.

Weren't we told "the smart people" put this govenment in place?
Back in 1787, maybe...

☭proletarian☭;2019276 said:
Slack,

First, the War on Drugs is a joke. There is not a single reason to make THC illegal and the way we're fighting other drugs is proving about as successful as prohibition. Get the Fed out of it save, perhaps, for large cartels and producers. Let the States decide how they wish to handle other drugs.

As for eagles, let's be honest. As much as I'd love to save every furry or cute thing on Earth, we must be reasonable. It's one thing to say you can't hunt the birds or destroy specific plots of land. It's another to spend all this money to birdwatch and track every last bird.

Yeah man, I am right there with you.

☭proletarian☭;2019286 said:
Slack sounds kinda like a libertarian...

never belonged to any party, but I do lean towards the libertarian theogy, with some exceptions.
I recognize that we can't roll back all the laws since 19whenever they say to. and I recognize the desire of the american people to take care of the least fortunate among us.
I tell people I used to be an anarchist, but the meetings were just too damn unorganized......

☭proletarian☭;2019203 said:
☭proletarian☭;2019176 said:
You make do with what you have, but only so much as what you have is sufficient.

In 1884, making do with what you had was impossible. That's why the Left had to reform society so the proletariat ('the working class' in modern parlance) could imporve their condition.

In order to support any plan as Samson presents, it must be shown that it would generate the necessary revenue for needed government functions.

The progressive movement was the biggest mistake our country ever took upon itself. Its going to get undone. We are determined to do that.

SmileyFacepalm.png

Osha, workers' rights, safety standards, wages that could feed one's family, child labour laws, the 40hr work week, womens' suffrage...

Ask anyone from a company town in the Ozarks what life was like before the unions stood up against the big corporations and demanded decent wages, safer working environments, medical leave...

The Red/Progressive/Liberal/Labour movement of the Left has been the best thing to ever happen for the lower classes. It was those who coopted the name while actually standing for a totalitarian oligarchy that restricts the liberties of the people for no reason other than their desire for power that fucked things up.

Unfortunately, the "unions" have taken the "big corportations" place when it comes to corruption and NOT looking out for the little guy. They have become "legion" (more about the survival of the union than individual rights).
It is a different time, most employers need reliable, skilled employees and are willing to pay to get them and keep them. It is time for the pendulum to swing the other direction. If corporatins get out of hand, again, the unions will return.

☭proletarian☭;2019250 said:
☭proletarian☭;2019191 said:
A ten-percent tithe? Should suffice for anything we really need.

How would you structure the tax system to reflect this system? A 10% flat tax could be devastating for some of the working poor unless they are exempt. Now I'm no mathematician, but since we're dealing with an average, you'd have to have some kind of progressive tax to still raise that 10% once you exclude those at or below poverty, no?

Even the poor pay more than that in taxes now.
Source, please

I haven't looked at tax brackets for a long time
Federal Insurance Compensations Act (FICA) is 6.2% and Medicare is `1.45% those together equal 7.65%, are the employees contribution, and are called "Payroll Taxes."

The employer matches, making a total of 15.3% of Gross Income, but not Un-earned Income. If a person is self employed, that individual pays the whole 15.3% themselves, in which case it is called "Self Employment Tax"

I'm one who questions whether or not it can correctly be called a tax, since it is a contribution to an individual employees disability, retirement security, or survivor's benefit account, AND amounts to a prepaid premium for their healthcare expenses paid in advance. In 2009 and 2010 the base for the contributions is $106,800 paying $16,340 max. There is no wage base annual limit for the Medicare part.

Social Security (FICA) Wage Limits and Tax Rates

I agree with Sampson that the tax code as it is designed works well and there is no need to change it beyond adjusting the marginal rates to fit budget requirements.

Last edited:
You have to dismantle the entire thing ,the bureaucracy is humongous.
Unemployment would spike ,Obama would look bad.

Excellent thread.

If federal government doesn't slow down their power grab, states can and should exercise their constitutional right and take away or limit those powers for them.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Virginia's Democratic-controlled state Senate passed measures Monday that would make it illegal to require individuals to purchase health insurance, a direct challenge to the party's efforts in Washington to reform health care.

The bills, a top priority of Virginia's "tea party" movement, were approved 23 to 17 as five Democrats who represent swing areas of the state joined all 18 Republicans in the chamber in backing the legislation.

Virginia Senate bills say no to requiring health insurance

Hey, why don't we just stop letting stupid people run for office, wouldn't that solve our problems without pissing off the stupid people? If you piss off the stupid people too much they will amass and kill you.

☭proletarian☭;2018988 said:
As part of that we should repeal the 17th amendment. The state governments would then have much more power.
Clarify

How is having the senators elected by the People instead of by legislators a bad thing?

Because Senators are supposed to represent the states as institutions - not the people of the states. The will of states as institutions is reflected in their legislature, not mob rule.

I agree the 17th amendment should be repealed.

'The States as institutions'?

So the legislature isn't supposed to represent the People in the first place? Is not the bottom line of representative government supposed to be that the entire system and all its parts ultimately reflect the will of the People?

☭proletarian☭;2020025 said:
'The States as institutions'?

So the legislature isn't supposed to represent the People in the first place? Is not the bottom line of representative government supposed to be that the entire system and all its parts ultimately reflect the will of the People?

The bottom line of the Senate is that it represents States, not People. If it represented People, you'd have to apportion is relative to the amount of People in a state to be fair.

Hey, why don't we just stop letting stupid people run for office, wouldn't that solve our problems without pissing off the stupid people? If you piss off the stupid people too much they will amass and kill you.

Yeah, Democrats can get like that...

I have a better plan, why don't we stop re-electing and electing the stupid people instead of doing something unamerican like preventing them from running;)?

Forum List

Back