Votes: 9 17.0%
  • False

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • It's complicated.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Undecided/Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Wow... Who said it was a pure Democracy? No one that I saw(unless I missed it).

Technically, we are a Democratic Republic. In reality, we are a Corporatist Plutocracy.

I read nothing in the Constitution that states we are a Democratic Republic.

However the Constitution does state what type of government we are to have in place yes or no?

Does everyone get a vote? That's the Democratic part, you partisan hack.

What does the Constitution say about the type of government we are supposed to have in place? I have asked you this question 3 times.

But I suppose that's what you and Mrs T are getting at... you want the power of the vote taken away and only given to "worthy" people.

projecting?

Of course... that's what people do on message boards Mr. "They're coming to get me".

I noticed you by-passed this post

I read nothing in the Constitution that states we are a Democratic Republic.

However the Constitution does state what type of government we are to have in place yes or no?

Does everyone get a vote? That's the Democratic part, you partisan hack.

What does the Constitution say about the type of government we are supposed to have in place? I have asked you this question 3 times.

Do we or do we not have the vote? You never answered mine.... I've already said we have a Republic, you douchebag.... now answer my question petunia.

Do we or do we not have the vote? You never answered mine.... I've already said we have a Republic, you douchebag.... now answer my question petunia.

I asked you first

What does the Constitution say about the type of government we are supposed to have in place? I have asked you this question 4 times.

I asked you first

What does the Constitution say about the type of government we are supposed to have in place? I have asked you this question 4 times.

A Republic... Do you know what a Republic is?
Stop with the charade already you idiot and answer the question...The Constitution states it plainly.:eusa_hand:

I asked you first

I am going to repost Article 4 one more time

Section 4 - Republican government

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

This is what it says. Now there is a link in section 4 that leads you to the definition of Republican government

Republic
republic n 1 : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and is usually a president; also : a nation or other political unit having such a government 2 : a government in which supreme power is held by the citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives governing according to law; also : a nation or other political unit having such a form of government Source: NMW

In the context of the United States, both definitions apply.
The Constitutional Dictionary - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

We are a Republic. We have a Democratic form of Government but we are not a direct Democracy.

Here's a nice take on why we are a Republic and not a Democracy...

“A democracy is a volcano which conceals the fiery materials of its own destruction.”[1]
“Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.”[2]
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”[3]

These are hardly the sentiments today’s average American would expect from the pens of our Founding Fathers. Yet, the men who established our great nation understood a critical facet of political philosophy that is all but lost on 21st century Americans. They did not set out to establish a democracy but rather, a constitutional republic.

Thanks be to God.

Living in a time when debating governmental systems was voguish among intellectuals, the Founders could have chosen from a smorgasbord of forms based on widely divergent worldviews. However, they deliberately chose a system of government built on a standard that is unchanging even if—and particularly if!—the majority populace deviates from the standard.

These days, most of our citizens believe America is and was a democracy and that democracy embodies the highest ideals of liberty. This, despite the Founders’ labors to create a system that wouldn’t cave in to the baser instincts of its citizens, the self-serving potential in its leaders, and the nearly boundless potential in any society for domination of the few by the many. We pledge allegiance to our flag “and to the republic for which it stands…,” but most Americans do not even know the important and clear distinctions between a democracy and a constitutional republic.

Read More:
WHY WE ARE A REPUBLIC NOT A DEMOCRACY

I asked you first

This is why this thread is stupid. Quibbling over words and the red-herring that 'democracy' and 'republic' are mutually exclusive. Those that say so are trolls and those that respond are wasting everybody's time. The second post on this thread should have been: :trolls:

I chose "it's complicated."

The U.S. is supposed to be a democracy. However, it is, in actual fact, a plutocracy. Therefore, I cannot say that it is one.

To those who claim that it's "a republic, not a democracy": it's quite possible for a government to be both. That's called a representative democracy or a democratic republic, and it's what the U.S. is supposed to be.

A republic that is not a democracy is instead an aristocratic republic. Those who favor republican government but are against democracy are, therefore, in favor of aristocracy. I am not.

it's not supposed to be a "democracy". it was never intended to be a democracy. when it was established, it was established as a representative republic because only landed white male gentry were supposed to vote and run things.

it also isn't a democracy because that same white male landed gentry protected the minority from a tyranny of the majority.

I asked you first

This is why this thread is stupid. Quibbling over words and the red-herring that 'democracy' and 'republic' are mutually exclusive. Those that say so are trolls and those that respond are wasting everybody's time. The second post on this thread should have been: :trolls:

yes, the thread is stupid. but i think it's the best the o/p can do.

As noted above, today we are a plutocracy with a bit of corporatism added for flavor - Citizens United is making that even more obvious this election cycle. Ideas require money. ;)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back