• It's complicated.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Undecided/Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
beatdeadhorse.gif

False

I chose "it's complicated."

The U.S. is supposed to be a democracy. However, it is, in actual fact, a plutocracy. Therefore, I cannot say that it is one.

To those who claim that it's "a republic, not a democracy": it's quite possible for a government to be both. That's called a representative democracy or a democratic republic, and it's what the U.S. is supposed to be.

A republic that is not a democracy is instead an aristocratic republic. Those who favor republican government but are against democracy are, therefore, in favor of aristocracy. I am not.

I'm pretty sure only TM thinks the US is a democracy.

I'm pretty sure not.

The United States is not a Democracy in the way the word is used. When used alone it generally means a pure democracy, one person one vote on ALL issues. Go ahead and explain how we practice THAT.

We are a Republic that elects our Representatives and we grant , via the Constitution, what power they wield. This includes appointing Judges, creating and repealing laws , creating treaties and running the Government free from public votes.

Good question...good answer...

Many people are under the false impression our form of government is a democracy, or representative democracy. This is of course completely untrue. The Founders were extremely knowledgeable about the issue of democracy and feared a democracy as much as a monarchy.

They understood that the only entity that can take away the people's freedom is their own government, either by being too weak to protect them from external threats or by becoming too powerful and taking over every aspect of life.

They knew very well the meaning of the word "democracy", and the history of democracies; and they were deliberately doing everything in their power to prevent having a democracy.
In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves.

In a Republic, one may act on his own or through his representatives when he chooses to solve a problem. The people have no obligation to the government; instead, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People. Many politicians have lost sight of that fact.

A Constitutional Republic has some similarities to democracy in that it uses democratic processes to elect representatives and pass new laws, etc. The critical difference lies in the fact that a Constitutional Republic has a Constitution that limits the powers of the government. It also spells out how the government is structured, creating checks on its power and balancing power between the different branches.

America is a Constitutional Republic . . . NOT a Democracy

wow quote a text from a right wing propaganda site, and it's gospel... the internet... tools for fools... oh fuck... I'm on the internet... OK... except for me, that is...

Ronald Reagan called democracy "the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."

Do you think he believed that America had such a government? I don't have a direct quote on that at this time but I'd bet a quarter that he did. (A quarter is the highest bet I ever make. :)

the word democracy does not mean the same as direct or pure democracy.

and it is not used that way in the US as far as i can tell.

or you are trying to spread pure democracy in the world, which is bullshit in oh so many ways.

I'm pretty sure not.

The United States is not a Democracy in the way the word is used. When used alone it generally means a pure democracy, one person one vote on ALL issues. Go ahead and explain how we practice THAT.

We are a Republic that elects our Representatives and we grant , via the Constitution, what power they wield. This includes appointing Judges, creating and repealing laws , creating treaties and running the Government free from public votes.
A nation of laws, not of men.

I'm pretty sure not.

A nation of laws, not of men.

Laws that are for sale if you have enough money.

Forum List

Back