Syria protests Israel Golan wine gift to UN staff

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Syria has protested to UN leaders that Israel distributed wine from the contested Golan Heights as year-end holiday gifts to UN staff and asked that they be told not to accept it.

Israel's UN mission confirmed it had sent out the wine but said this was perfectly appropriate.

"The Golan Heights is an integral part of the state of Israel and the wine produced in that region is some of the best in the country. As such, we were pleased to share it with our colleagues," Israeli mission spokeswoman Mirit Cohen said on Friday.

Israel captured the strategic territory from Syria in the 1967 Six Day War and annexed it in 1981 in a move rejected by the United Nations. The future of the heights is a key issue in any future Israeli-Syrian peace deal.

In letters to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and General Assembly President Miguel D'Escoto, Syrian Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari condemned the Israeli mission's "provocative and irresponsible behavior" in distributing wine from grapes harvested, and in bottles made, on the Golan.

"I would appreciate it if you would request all United Nations staff to refrain from accepting these Israeli gifts produced illegally in occupied Syrian territory," he said.

The letters, dated Dec. 31, were made public on Friday.

Ja'afari said the building of the winery where the bottles were produced violated Security Council resolutions calling on Israel to protect private and public land, property and water resources on occupied territory.

Ban's spokeswoman, Michele Montas, said she had no immediate comment on Ja'afari's letter.

You need to post a link for this please. Gunny

Actually, Syria might have a point here. Too much wine might explain the hysterical outbursts from the screaming heads at the UN. Perhaps none of these people should be allowed to work in the area again until after he/she has gone through rehab and agreed to abide by the JUST SAY NO program Syria is advocating the next time an Israeli offers one of them a drink.

They can ship it to me love good wine. Should I submit my address?

Forum List

Back