Synthetic Psychiatry: Halloween(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This psychiatry vignette regarding the 'color' of Halloween was inspired by the film Brazil.

I'm posting it so I feel less depressed today if my favorite NFL team (the gritty-scrappy Philadelphia Eagles) lose today in the NFC Championship game to the mighty Minnesota Vikings!

I'm also posting it, since it summarizes my thought-model approach to Christianity-oriented storytelling and my love of comic books (since I'm retiring from Internet-blogging altogether --- most likely today! It's so darn irresistible to keep coming back to USMB man!).

Signing off,

====

"When we think of Halloween, we think of the pleasures of masquerade, but does this mean we think of the catharsis involved with disguise and camouflage? Does Halloween invoke our curiosity about voyeurism? Putting on a mask might help us 'forget' about our everyday problems or moral weaknesses! Why are horror-films so darn popular during the Halloween season?"

doc.jpg

"Movies about ghouls and strange characters and even wondrous people in outlandish costumes/outfits doing zany things remind us of the liberty from judgment, the frivolity of youth, the fear or retribution, and the consequences of mischief. These movies are thought of as 'holograms of happiness,' since they don't represent sane behaviors(!). We might even be inspired to 'copycat' the outlandish characters in these movies for Halloween. Perhaps we are trying to mimic being psychiatry patients rather than psychiatrists! Is this the 'magic' of Halloween?"

arkham.jpg

"A boy walks into a bar with a Halloween costume on (since it's Halloween Eve) and notices a very attractively well-figured woman sitting by the bartender and wearing a Halloween costume and mask. The boy (22 years-old) is an Ivy League student and wants to 'assume' that the woman has a beautiful face (not just a shapely body) even though he can not see it because the woman is wearing a mask! When the boy discovers that the woman is too ugly or too old-looking in the face, he decides he was never interested in her. This too is the 'theatricality' of Halloween."

====

:dance:

Forum List

Back