Synthetic Biology: Gene Therapy Gets Under The Skin

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
This form of gene therapy has several advantages, stressed the ETH professor. It puts no strain on the liver because it has a very local action and phloretin is a molecule which can be found in everyday foodstuffs and undergoes rapid degradation in the body. Furthermore, the network can be precisely controlled and the therapy is well tolerated by the liver, adds Fussenegger. The disadvantage of orally administered therapeutic agents is that the liver, as the detoxifying organ, destroys most of the active agent before it reaches the target site.
Fussenegger is also convinced that implants are well accepted by the public. Implants can be stored in the body for a relatively long time and are easily removed after the end of therapy or in the event of complications.

I hope they start human trials soon

Synthetic Biology: Gene Therapy Gets Under The Skin

I guess I understand the mechanics of why this method of introducing "gene therapy".

Sadly I don't understand gene therapy well enough to fully appreciate what this technique can be used for.

• Banned
It's not only applicable to gene therapy. It could be any therapy that requires the application of any medicine to a specific region of the body

New Topics

Forum List

Back