Swords and Duels?

Feb 14, 2010
The armpit of Florida Gulf Coast
What would you say if I said “The downfall of western civilization was when men stopped wearing a sword on their hip”? Before you say “Swords were replaced with the gun”, let me remind you; a sword was a gentleman’s right to wear, not a right to bear.

The wearing of a sword meant that a gentleman was not just a separate individual, subject to a set of rules, but subscribed to the thought that honor was worth your life, and the grave responsibilities to it. To offend someone could cost you, quite dearly! The possibility of a duel was enough to keep most people civil, with a tongue to match.

If for your behavior you received the offer of a duel, and didn’t show up for the event, you would be shunned and no one in the town would so much as sell you bread.

The sword was more like a “truth in advertising” an outward testament to honor and principle. Respect not slander, or at least silence, rather than a blatant lie.

What would be the modern world look like if we still had such “Gentlemen”? My guess is Washington would have a very low population, as would the rest of these United States.

If only we could staple something on the politicians foreheads to change color, helping to identify that nasty lying habit.
I fear most of our voting nation is beyond education for spotting lies, and a fair amount, not only ignore the lies, they comfortably just straight ticket the issues.

The new sword:
300px-Bersa_Thunder_in_380_ACP.jpg

Cities where concealed carry is common have the lowest violent crime rates in the country. You're damned polite when anyone you meet could blow your head off in a whim.

Before you say “Swords were replaced with the gun”, let me remind you; a sword was a gentleman’s right to wear, not a right to bear.
Nothing but the price of purchase prevented the peasant from carrying a sword. It was the BMW of its time.

Last edited:
Case in point:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnFsrmsA94]YouTube - GUN FIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL[/ame]

What would you say if I said “The downfall of western civilization was when men stopped wearing a sword on their hip”? Before you say “Swords were replaced with the gun”, let me remind you; a sword was a gentleman’s right to wear, not a right to bear.

The wearing of a sword meant that a gentleman was not just a separate individual, subject to a set of rules, but subscribed to the thought that honor was worth your life, and the grave responsibilities to it. To offend someone could cost you, quite dearly! The possibility of a duel was enough to keep most people civil, with a tongue to match.

If for your behavior you received the offer of a duel, and didn’t show up for the event, you would be shunned and no one in the town would so much as sell you bread.

The sword was more like a “truth in advertising” an outward testament to honor and principle. Respect not slander, or at least silence, rather than a blatant lie.

What would be the modern world look like if we still had such “Gentlemen”? My guess is Washington would have a very low population, as would the rest of these United States.

If only we could staple something on the politicians foreheads to change color, helping to identify that nasty lying habit.
I fear most of our voting nation is beyond education for spotting lies, and a fair amount, not only ignore the lies, they comfortably just straight ticket the issues.

Not only do we no longer care if a politician lies to us, or the media lies to us, these days many are very happy to knowingly regurgitate lies for partisan politics. Apparently, the rule of radicals 'the ends justifies the means' is perfectly acceptable now. There are few honorable people left.

Yeah because you know life was really sweet when only gentlemen could carry swords and they could kill peasants with impunity, but each other only in a duel.

Yeah because you know life was really sweet when only gentlemen could carry swords and they could kill peasants with impunity, but each other only in a duel.
Peasants were perfectly capable of fighting back, but they just did it with this:

Quarterstaff_400x72.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTTqlQk5jw&feature=related]YouTube - The Untouchables [ Part 9/12 ][/ame]

Class warfare with "respect to your betters"...I was wondering if someone DID get it.
I didn’t say it was the correct way to be, although it feels good (to the beatER not the beatDOWN). That’s the thing about pride, it FEELS good.

Last edited:
What would you say if I said The downfall of western civilization was when men stopped wearing a sword on their hip? Before you say Swords were replaced with the gun, let me remind you; a sword was a gentlemans right to wear, not a right to bear.

If for your behavior you received the offer of a duel, and didnt show up for the event, you would be shunned and no one in the town would so much as sell you bread.

The sword was more like a truth in advertising an outward testament to honor and principle. Respect not slander, or at least silence, rather than a blatant lie.

What would be the modern world look like if we still had such Gentlemen? My guess is Washington would have a very low population, as would the rest of these United States.

So...this was kinda nutty.

Forum List

Back