Swm Seeking Transplanting Tips....

sameech

VIP Member
May 12, 2014
Live in Zone 7B and need to transplant roses from my current house to my new house. There is no reason I cannot wait until spring to do it as my current house will stay in the family until at least then. Anybody have any tips on the best time to transplant roses and how to do it with the best results?

Early Spring is the best time when the plant is still dormant. Cut the stems back to about a foot or so and remove all the leaves. Make sure it is in a place with plenty of drainage and water frequently until established. I've only done it one time, but it worked beautifully. I live further North than you do so it may be different where you live. Here I had to wait until all threat of frost was over and that isn't until May here. I would fertilize also for best results.

Good luck!!

Early Spring is the best time when the plant is still dormant. Cut the stems back to about a foot or so and remove all the leaves. Make sure it is in a place with plenty of drainage and water frequently until established. I've only done it one time, but it worked beautifully. I live further North than you do so it may be different where you live. Here I had to wait until all threat of frost was over and that isn't until May here. I would fertilize also for best results.

Good luck!!

Last frost is usually mid April here. I have done it at various times of the year with mixed results. I would rather do it now, but a few of them are family pass alongs from people who have passed along so I don't want to risk those ones, especially since they are calling for an earlier colder winter in this area this year I think. I'll probably just leave them all until spring.

Forum List

Back