Switzerland's refusal to adopt sanctions on Iran ‘disappoints’ US

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Switzerland’s refusal to yield to pressure from the United States in adopting the US-engineered European Union (EU) sanctions against Iran has “disappointed” Washington, the US envoy to Bern says.

Under the United States' sway, EU foreign ministers agreed to ban oil imports from Iran on January 23 and to freeze the assets of the Iranian Central Bank across the EU in a bid to pressure Iran over its nuclear energy program. The embargoes are slated to go into force as of July 1.

The move came after the US imposed new sanctions against Iran on the New Year’s Eve with the aim of preventing other countries from importing Iranian oil and conducting transactions with its central bank.

PressTV - Switzerland's refusal to adopt sanctions on Iran ?disappoints? US

Good for Switzerland.

Switzerland’s refusal to yield to pressure from the United States in adopting the US-engineered European Union (EU) sanctions against Iran has “disappointed” Washington, the US envoy to Bern says.

Under the United States' sway, EU foreign ministers agreed to ban oil imports from Iran on January 23 and to freeze the assets of the Iranian Central Bank across the EU in a bid to pressure Iran over its nuclear energy program. The embargoes are slated to go into force as of July 1.

The move came after the US imposed new sanctions against Iran on the New Year’s Eve with the aim of preventing other countries from importing Iranian oil and conducting transactions with its central bank.

PressTV - Switzerland's refusal to adopt sanctions on Iran ?disappoints? US

Good for Switzerland.

Europe is like a dancing clown puppet for the US :cuckoo:

I never knew Switzerland had a position on anything.

They take the position that protects their banking system. No ethics.
They take the position to mind their own damned business...Something the US used to do, prior to Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

It has jack shit to do with 'minding their own business' and everything to do with not upsetting the customers of its banks. The Swiss are amoral when it comes to money - anyone can bank there - terrorists, dictators, arms dealers... all are welcome. That's what they're minding... their business... not their own business.

It's about money, not morals.

They take the position that protects their banking system. No ethics.
They take the position to mind their own damned business...Something the US used to do, prior to Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

It has jack shit to do with 'minding their own business' and everything to do with not upsetting the customers of its banks. The Swiss are amoral when it comes to money - anyone can bank there - terrorists, dictators, arms dealers... all are welcome. That's what they're minding... their business... not their own business.

Wow...Trade with all and no foreign military entanglements.

Reminds me of a nation I once heard about.

Trade? Hiding the ill gotten gains of tyrants might be 'trade' to you... I'll pass.

This is why Libertarians will never form a government in this nation. Y'all are dangerously naive.

Trade? Hiding the ill gotten gains of tyrants might be 'trade' to you... I'll pass.

This is why Libertarians will never form a government in this nation. Y'all are dangerously naive.
Yeah...Tyrants like the Rockefellers, Kennedys, etcetera.

And libertarians did form a government, right here.

Sounds ethical to me.

Why am I not surprised? You have no understanding of the word.

"eth·i·cal   [eth-i-kuhl]
adjective
pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct."

Ethical | Define Ethical at Dictionary.com

That was pretty much my understanding of the word. Looks like you have no understanding of my understanding.

Not your version of 'libertarian'.

Let's try and stay on topic, shall we? Deflection might suit you but it's still deflection. The topic... Switzerland's decision not to support sanctions.... why would they do that? Not because they're taking the moral high ground... they're more concerned about not losing the billions from their banks... money stolen from people like you and me... who just happen to live under tyrants. To high five that behavior is sick.

Let's try and stay on topic, shall we? Deflection might suit you but it's still deflection. The topic... Switzerland's decision not to support sanctions.... why would they do that? Not because they're taking the moral high ground... they're more concerned about not losing the billions from their banks... money stolen from people like you and me... who just happen to live under tyrants. To high five that behavior is sick.
It's no deflection...You made a spurious claim, which was easily rebutted buy historical fact.

Switzerland's business is Switzerland's business...Neither America, Britain nor the UN are the boss of them....I have no desire for my nation to play a global political version of Gladys Kravitz.

It's no deflection...You made a spurious claim, which was easily rebutted buy historical fact.

Switzerland's business is Switzerland's business...Neither America, Britain nor the UN are the boss of them....I have no desire for my nation to play a global political version of Gladys Kravitz.

The problem is that your lack of desire to play geo-politics leads to wars.... really big ones. You're dangerously naive. You take little pieces of history in order to create facts... that's not wise.

Switzerland is doing nothing more than protecting its billions.... and much of those billions come from the produce of tyranny. Personally, I find little to admire or respect about Switzerland.

Forum List

Back