Switzerland Rejects Libertaranism For Pot

All white powders are bad for you.

Heroin, coccaine, flour, sugar,.....

The heroin program must have some merit... 30 years in to it and almost 70% of voters voted to keep paying for it.

The rejection of pot is a completely separate issue that happened to be on the same ballot and linking the stories the way the article does is sensationalist bullshit.

-Joe

They just don't want millions of oppressed stoners seeking political refuge status.

Speaking as one of that oppressed minority, I'd seek political asylum if there was a nation that actually offered such relief from the insanity.

But makes heroine ok for addicts to get help

Swiss approve pioneering legal heroin program - Yahoo! News

Thoughts?

I'm against the government telling people what drugs they can and cannot take. The people should be able to decide. And if someone is, say, driving while under the influence (where they put others in danger), they should be punished severely (e.g., jail time, loss of license, fines, etc.). The government (i.e., the people) also shouldn't have to pay for addicts to get better. If they want help, they'll need to pay for that help. If they don't have the money, they could perhaps get a government-backed loan that MUST BE payed back in full (with interest) after their treatment.

No we don't give heroin addicts heroin.

We give them drugs which are essantially just as deadly and addictive, but cost 100 times more than legal heroin would cost (if they legalized it, I mean) because that way the pharmacuetical companies can make much much more money in keeping people addicted to drugs still under patent.

Alcohol can kill you and is addictive. Heroin has a bad rap, if it's pure and taken in the proper quanitities it won't kill anyone. However it's a good idea not to use it. The therapeutic approach to dealing with addicts is far better than using the criminal justice system to hammer them into the ground.

Bad stuff that they didn't approve the legalisation of dope though. But you know why? The Swiss are so, well, neat and tidy and those dope users........:lol:

No we don't give heroin addicts heroin.

We give them drugs which are essantially just as deadly and addictive, but cost 100 times more than legal heroin would cost (if they legalized it, I mean) because that way the pharmacuetical companies can make much much more money in keeping people addicted to drugs still under patent.

Oh? And what drugs are those that are used to ween heroin addicts off of heroin that are addictive?

I think that anything that gets you high should be available just like alcohol and people should be allowed to control their own consumption. Just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean I should judge someone else. But, I don't think the government should be responsible for keeping you in high and happy if you find yourself addicted.

It does seem odd to legalize heroin and not pot, but makes sense from the standpoint of addictive properties. If people are addicted to heroin, then they're not going to be able to give it up, so it's much better for them to be able to get a fix legally and safely. Pot, on the other hand, is a choice.

Both should be legal IMO. The Swiss have the right idea about how to treat heroin addicts. Throwing people in jail for pot makes no sense at all from an economic standpoint.

Crime and most likely addiction rates would go down here in the US if we had a more rational drug policy.

It does seem odd to legalize heroin and not pot, but makes sense from the standpoint of addictive properties. If people are addicted to heroin, then they're not going to be able to give it up, so it's much better for them to be able to get a fix legally and safely. Pot, on the other hand, is a choice.

Both should be legal IMO. The Swiss have the right idea about how to treat heroin addicts. Throwing people in jail for pot makes no sense at all from an economic standpoint.

Crime and most likely addiction rates would go down here in the US if we had a more rational drug policy.

No, they do not have the right idea! And I agree, throwing them in jail (depending) is not always the best option.

The point is, in Europe they have the new cutting edge medications which prevent this. This is why this makes no sense. They actually have an option which can work wonders, like never before. If the poorer nations in Europe can afford to offer this new program, I am really baffled why the Swiss are not and taking such a counter productive step for those who are suffering.

Your sure right about that. And now we have the medications and new methods to really make progress with opiate addiction, the most abused drug. However, in this nation, ignorant stigma and money is stopping the progress. As a person who is involved with a group who lobby's capital hill on these issues, I can tell you the progress is very, very slow. And it is all about money, money made from methadone clinics and money made from treatment centers. One good thing, our government is starting to make the new medications available to our Vet's along with new methods. I have been really impressed with our local VA and many across the nation. :clap2:

The heroin program, started in 1994, is offered in 23 centers across Switzerland. It has helped eliminate scenes of large groups of drug users shooting up openly in parks that marred Swiss cities in the 1980s and 1990s and is credited with reducing crime and improving the health and daily lives of addicts.

The nearly 1,300 selected addicts, who have been unhelped by other therapies, visit one of the centers twice a day to receive the carefully measured dose of heroin produced by a government-approved laboratory.

They keep their paraphernalia in cups labeled with their names and use the equipment and clean needles to inject themselves — four at a time — under the supervision of a nurse, and also receive counseling from psychiatrists and social workers.

The aim is to help the addicts learn how to function in society.

Eh, well, maybe it'll work. Doesn't seem like anything else does. I mean, between having non-functional hobo heroin addicts and having functional non-hobo heroin addicts, maybe the latter ain't so bad.

Forum List

Back