Switzerland, Home of the Tolerant

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Here we have a perfect picture of our European betters at work. What do you suppose would happen here if one of our major parties suggested this action? ( well granted in the US, the Constitution specifically bars corruption by blood)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070901/ap_on_re_eu/switzerland_deportation_campaign

Perhaps Joyce should move to Switzerland? He would fit right in with the major party there.

Here we have a perfect picture of our European betters at work. What do you suppose would happen here if one of our major parties suggested this action? ( well granted in the US, the Constitution specifically bars corruption by blood)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070901/ap_on_re_eu/switzerland_deportation_campaign

Perhaps Joyce should move to Switzerland? He would fit right in with the major party there.

Hmmm...NewsMax...not the most reliable of news sources. As for the sheep imagery, I have other uses for sheep.

Hopefully the same thing happening there....it would result in people calling it out for the racist proposal it is.

Read the story, No one seems to care and in fact they have done similar things in the past.

I did read the story, and I dont think it indicated NO ONE CARES. From your article....

Ronnie Bernheim of the Swiss Foundation against Racism and Anti-Semitism said the proposal was similar to the Nazi practice of "Sippenhaft" — or kin liability — whereby relatives of criminals were held responsible for his or her crimes and punished equally.

So appearantly there ARE people who DO care. I also didnt see any information that they actually GOT 100,000 signatures needed to put it to a referendum vote....I only see they are TRYING.

Commentators have expressed horror over the symbolism used by the People's Party to make its point.

"This way of thinking shows an obvious blood-and-soil mentality," read one editorial in the Zurich daily Tages-Anzeiger, calling for a broader public reaction against the campaign.

So far, however, there has been little popular backlash against the posters.

"We haven't had any complaints," said Maurer.

If you take this to mean people dont care its a guess, not a statement of fact. There are other possibilities as well....it is quite possible there arent enough people who take them seriously...but that would also be a GUESS.

Also, exactly who shall they complain to? The racists have a right to speak and have a right to utilize the political process to get their plans before the public in a referendum....but so far it dosent seem that they have been SUCCESSFUL. That would be a very key issue. If they are successful and the swiss public agrees to place racist policies into law, I will happily call them out for the racists they are as a nation and call the policy racist as well.

BTW, its a very clear and easy to prove fact that racists EXIST everywhere and advocate numerous racist policies they want to see enacted as laws. We just cant condem the nation who hasnt ACTUALLY put those racist laws into policy or practice.

I certainly dont see these views going unchallenged in Switzerland either.

Why would you be suprised at this? It always amusing to see unwordly NeoCons who evidently have never traveled outside the borders of their own counties, let alone outside the United States, express faux shock at the xenophobia of europeans. Of course many european nations have deep seated problems with xenophobia. That's one thing that makes america great - on balance, we are a melting pot of different ethnicities, and in general, have a greater tolerance for religious and ethnic diversity. Its one of our great stengths.

As for europeans being allegedly our superiors - I've rarely ever heard anyone say that. I certainly haven't. Now, we aren't perfect, and there's things like universal healthcare that I think we could learn from others about. Most of the europeans were correct about the Iraq War too, by choosing not to invade with us. We aren't a perfect society; there's always things we can learn from others.

Why would you be suprised at this? It always amusing to see unwordly NeoCons who evidently have never traveled outside the borders of their own counties, let alone outside the United States, express faux shock at the xenophobia of europeans. Of course many european nations have deep seated problems with xenophobia. That's one thing that makes america great - on balance, we are a melting pot of different ethnicities, and in general, have a greater tolerance for religious and ethnic diversity. Its one of our great stengths.

As for europeans being allegedly our superiors - I've rarely ever heard anyone say that. I certainly haven't. Now, we aren't perfect, and there's things like universal healthcare that I think we could learn from others about. Most of the europeans were correct about the Iraq War too, by choosing not to invade with us. We aren't a perfect society; there's always things we can learn from others.

You might want to check your facts. MOST Europeans DID join the alliance and were part of the Iraq conflict at one time or another. Only France, Belgium and Germany were opposed. Italy, Spain, England,Poland, and a host of other Europeans participated.

This is funny as hell, as funny as the oft repeated claim we "Unilaterally" went into Iraq.

As for Travel, I have been to Germany, Japan, Korea, The Philippines, I have been through England and Iceland and I even went to Canada. Perhaps you should check your facts before you spout off with unproven facts.

Lived in Germany for a year and spent 6 and a half years in Okinawa.

You might want to check your facts. MOST Europeans DID join the alliance and were part of the Iraq conflict at one time or another. Only France, Belgium and Germany were opposed. Italy, Spain, England,Poland, and a host of other Europeans participated.

This is funny as hell, as funny as the oft repeated claim we "Unilaterally" went into Iraq.

As for Travel, I have been to Germany, Japan, Korea, The Philippines, I have been through England and Iceland and I even went to Canada. Perhaps you should check your facts before you spout off with unproven facts.

Lived in Germany for a year and spent 6 and a half years in Okinawa.

Well, you must not have learned much about the world on your alleged travels. Because your faux shock at the intolerance in switzerland is very telling.

To the moderately educated and worldly person, many european countries are far more intolerant about religious and ethnic diversity than we are. We pride ourselves on being a melting pot. And for God's sake - Switzerland was nominally a Nazi collaborator during WW2.

Oh, and 90% of the world did NOT support your war on iraq. Sure, some european heads of state did. But, not their citizens. Its your war, you own it.

I seem to remember watching a film quite some years ago which presented Swiss authorities as being quite unsympathetic to Jews who were fleeing the Nazi regime in I think it was Germany and Austria. Now that may have been a bit of hyperbole by the film maker but it stuck in my mind.

Forum List

Back