Switzerland has the highest Ratio of Gun VS people .

It is because of the Swiss attitudes and such not becuase they own guns and are trained. Most of those guns are among the dust bunnies in the back of the closet.
Did a bunch of research on this once and also saw a segment on PBS about it.

The swiss also have a very low poverty rate which I think has more bearing on the low murder rate than having guns.

It is because of the Swiss attitudes and such not becuase they own guns and are trained. Most of those guns are among the dust bunnies in the back of the closet.
Did a bunch of research on this once and also saw a segment on PBS about it.

The swiss also have a very low poverty rate which I think has more bearing on the low murder rate than having guns.

We have a winner

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

"What America can learn from Switzerland is that the best way to reduce gun misuse is to promote responsible gun ownership."

By David B. Kopel and Stephen D'Andrilli (American Rifleman, February 1990)

In the right to bear arms debate, pro-gun Americans point to Switzerland, where almost every adult male is legally required to possess a gun. One of the few nations with a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the United States, Switzerland has virtually no gun crime. Therefore, argue the pro-gunners, America doesn't need gun control.

Yet Handgun Control, Inc. (HCI), in its brochure "Handgun Facts," points to Switzerland as one of the advanced nations with strict handgun laws." The brochure states that all guns are registered, and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit. Gun crime in Switzerland is virtually non-existent. Therefore, concludes Handgun Control, America needs strict gun control.

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

"What America can learn from Switzerland is that the best way to reduce gun misuse is to promote responsible gun ownership."

By David B. Kopel and Stephen D'Andrilli (American Rifleman, February 1990)

In the right to bear arms debate, pro-gun Americans point to Switzerland, where almost every adult male is legally required to possess a gun. One of the few nations with a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the United States, Switzerland has virtually no gun crime. Therefore, argue the pro-gunners, America doesn't need gun control.

Yet Handgun Control, Inc. (HCI), in its brochure "Handgun Facts," points to Switzerland as one of the advanced nations with strict handgun laws." The brochure states that all guns are registered, and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit. Gun crime in Switzerland is virtually non-existent. Therefore, concludes Handgun Control, America needs strict gun control.

Since we already require background checks, and assuming that their background check leads to permit approval, what point are you trying to make?

...all guns are registered, and handgun purchases require a background check and a permit.

That's also the case in California, where the use of firearms in the commission of a crime is now a thing of the past...:eusa_eh:
I'll bet the Swiss don't hold gun shows where one can buy without a permit or background check.

Don't know about the Swiss but that's NOT the case in California. All firearm sales must go through a licensed FFL holder (Penal Code 26500).

Further, across the nation, only .7% of convicts bought their firearms at gun shows, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. This figure is further supported by the National Institute of Justice, who found that less than 1% of "crime guns" where obtained at gun shows. Gun dealers are federally licensed and are bound to stringent rules for sales that apply equally whether they are dealing from a storefront or a gun show.

So, pretty monumental fail so far. Want to try again?

That's also the case in California, where the use of firearms in the commission of a crime is now a thing of the past...:eusa_eh:
I'll bet the Swiss don't hold gun shows where one can buy without a permit or background check.

Don't know about the Swiss but that's NOT the case in California. All firearm sales must go through a licensed FFL holder (Penal Code 26500).

Further, across the nation, only .7% of convicts bought their firearms at gun shows, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. This figure is further supported by the National Institute of Justice, who found that less than 1% of "crime guns" where obtained at gun shows. Gun dealers are federally licensed and are bound to stringent rules for sales that apply equally whether they are dealing from a storefront or a gun show.

Link?

It's rather difficult to compare Switzerland, which has a largely homogenous population, with the U.S. which is the most ethnically, culturally, and economically diverse nation in the world.

But has one of the lowest murder rate. I believe it is most people know everyone has a gun and knows how to use it because it is mandatory for men to be trained

BBC News | EUROPE | Switzerland and the gun

So the violence in places like Chicago is a result of the gangs not being sufficiently well armed?

lol

Taking the stupid road. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

:lmao:

More like the stupid Interstate, 4-6 lanes of inanity at 70MPH...

Link?

These stats do not come from one website, but you are free to search the various government, regulatory, and other sites, which is why I listed those that conducted the studies and the actual penal code...to make it easy for anyone to verify.

I know much about firearm laws in California. Thus far, you have made inaccurate statements and assumptions, but I'm happy to provide the facts.

But has one of the lowest murder rate. I believe it is most people know everyone has a gun and knows how to use it because it is mandatory for men to be trained

BBC News | EUROPE | Switzerland and the gun

So the violence in places like Chicago is a result of the gangs not being sufficiently well armed?

lol

Hey, looks like you've drawn the dumbest conclusion of the day...so far.

Do you think more assault rifles in the inner cities will reduce crime? Because that is what would happen if you go the Swiss route.

lol

Do you think more assault rifles in the inner cities will reduce crime? Because that is what would happen if you go the Swiss route.

Here we go again with those evil 'assault rifles'. Would you idiots that know NOTHING about weapons please stop using inaccurate terminology?

I think your definition of 'assault rifle' is any long gun that looks scary....

Link?

These stats do not come from one website, but you are free to search the various government, regulatory, and other sites, which is why I listed those that conducted the studies and the actual penal code...to make it easy for anyone to verify.

I know much about firearm laws in California. Thus far, you have made inaccurate statements and assumptions, but I'm happy to provide the facts.
What Are the Gun Laws in California?

State Requirements

Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No

lol

First, almost nobody in America has an "assault rifle", which is a fully automatic weapon. We have semi-automatic firearms of all shapes, sizes and calibers. Not the same thing as an assault rifle.

Second, I live in the inner city and own firearms. I've caused no increase in crime and in fact have prevented crime from taking place.

Third, the Swiss model requires everyone to own a firearm and to undertake miltary training. We have a volunteer military in America, so you'd have to change that first. Is that what you're advocating, compulsory military service?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back