Switching from oil to electric?

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
I'm moving to a new house soon. The price of oil is around $3.25/gallon and my tank has about 250 gallon capacity. Isn't electric going to be cheaper than oil?

I'm moving to a new house soon. The price of oil is around $3.25/gallon and my tank has about 250 gallon capacity. Isn't electric going to be cheaper than oil?

Electric will be cheaper than oil in the year 2037 when fusion reactors are readily available.

I put in a wood stove 3 years back and only use the oil to quickly warm up the house in the AM, plus to keep the pipes from freezing while we're away. I keep a close eye on craigslist for good deals on wood, do scrounging and also have my own chainsaw. It's really cut back on expenses after the initial investment.

Wouldn't know. Here in Oklahoma, you couldn't find an oil tank in a house if yoru life depended on it. We either use gas or electric. I prefer gas. Electric heat feels "colder" than gas heat. I prefer gas for cooking as well. You can control the level of heat instantly where electric has to heat up or cool down over time.

not according to this site.

Heating Fuel Comparisons

Damn. How do I know when the oil tank is running low?

The tank should have a guage.

Also, the oil company uses a formula involving degree-days to keep track of your usage and will deliver automatically. In my 30+ years of owning a home, I've never run out of oil.

That's because you have a contract with the oil company and you get the house's oil refilled every month or so, right?

Electric will be cheaper than oil in the year 2037 when fusion reactors are readily available.

with global warming and all, he should just wait til then.

Yeah, your home should be naturally getting warmer each winter anyway. Why worry about energy costs when soon enough, heat will be free all year.

Forum List

Back