Switching Channels: A Media Dreariness

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a networking-related Utopian vignette I cooked up (my last one!) inspired by the sarcasm film Switching Channels.

I think it's time for me to retire from my happy Internet-blogging (which I've enjoyed!), so thanks USMB!

Cheers,

====

Spawn was a warrior sent from the realm of purgatory by the powerful wizard Merlin to deal with the all the filth and fury of humanity, stretching from back through the Dark Ages (e.g., the complicated reign of King Baldwin of Jerusalem) all through to modern Los Angeles (USA), where U.S. President Donald Trump was dealing with an ISIS-related terrorist-threat on the international airport LAX. Spawn had the power to control fear and use magic and fire to suppress adversaries, but he could not suppress the emotions that gave rise to self-doubt.

Spawn wanted to help Baldwin as well as Trump deal with their respective 'problems.' Baldwin wanted to unite a land of warring and wandering warlords, while Trump wanted to convince the modern world that a capitalism-baron could indeed lead humanity in an age of commerce-driven peace (despite numerous nuclear-war threats posed by antagonistic North Korea). Spawn realized that in Baldwin's era, the real evil was malicious plundering, and knights used the sword to decapitate in the name of lust; in Trump's era, capitalism created power-greed.

Spawn noticed that in Baldwin's time, court-jesters and entertainers/fiddlers played to the 'tune' of general Utopian melancholy, as queens and knights fantasized about a war-driven eternal feudal stability. Spawn noticed that in Trump's time, rap-artists and prominent merchants (e.g., Bill Gates) made capitalism a thing of wonder and festivity (e.g., Philadelphia Auto Show). Spawn noted that Baldwin and Trump had a similar problem --- to encourage dutiful service to nationalism ideals.

Spawn could never control the forces that created self-doubt, which is why his eternal adversary was always the nefarious 'Bronze Dragon,' an enigmatic and frightful creature who reminded all beings around him that the greatest terror was the complete devastation of fertility. The Bronze Dragon (which Spawn nicknamed 'Battlecat') would obliterate confidence/optimism in production, farming, mercantilism, and of course, democracy. Spawn knew that if the Bronze Dragon was not destroyed, it would become an 'anti-egalitarianism arsonist.'

Spawn came up with a brilliant plan. He would use the media-marketing appeal of the modern-day TrumpUSA capitalism-symbolic American fitness-gear company Fabletics (co-owned by popular American actress/celebrity Kate Hudson) to promote humanism-related friendship in both Baldwin's time and in Trump's 'world.' However, to 'use' Fabletics, Spawn would have to debate with the relentless Bronze Dragon, so Spawn decided to talk to 'Battlecat' about the power of media in disseminating network-favorable ideas about 'communicable friendship.'

SPAWN: I will make Kate Hudson a goddess of the ages...
BATTLECAT: I doubt Baldwin of Jerusalem cares much about the 'MTV generation.'
SPAWN: The power of the pulpit lies in the realm of education and in the inspiration of youth.
BATTLECAT: I know! TrumpUSA caters to all kinds of youth-promoting 'cosmetics.'
SPAWN: I'm not referring to vanity, Battlecat; I'm talking about basic vitality/networking.
BATTLECAT: The 'network' (be it for Baldwin or Trump) is based on fortune and advantage.
SPAWN: Competitiveness is not a 'destroyer' of friendly games...
BATTLECAT: Tell that to the victims of the terrorism-deed during the Olympic games in Munich!
SPAWN: That is why I intend to use media (and Fabletics) to promote general human trust.
BATTLECAT: What does a fitness-gear company have to do with governance and religion?
SPAWN: Fabletics represents networking-friendship, and Baldwin and Trump both need trust.
BATTLECAT: You think Baldwin will listen to the pleas of a 'video-connected' geo-politique?
SPAWN: Don't you think that 'seeing is believing,' Battlecat?
BATTLECAT: I like television as much as the next dragon, but Fabletics/MTV seems 'childish.'
SPAWN: With any kind of networking activity, there must be some playfulness...
BATTLECAT: So you insist that 'games' promote some kind of peaceful stability.
SPAWN: Think of the power of the capitalism board-game Monopoly (Parker Brothers).
BATTLECAT: I can concede that Monopoly represents real-estate optimism in modern times.
SPAWN: Yes, and it's a popular iPhone app now, which Trump probably likes (a lot)!
BATTLECAT: Alright, Spawn; you tell Baldwin about Fabletics and iPhones and then see Trump.
SPAWN: I'll do that, as long as I have your promise that you won't destroy Kate Hudson.
BATTLECAT: I'll spare her 'celebrity-head,' but remember that humans never neglect vanity.
SPAWN: I guarantee that Fabletics and MTV will generate 'mercantilism idealism.'
BATTLECAT: Then let Baldwin revel in the notion that merchants are the new gods!

====

duo9.jpg

Forum List

Back