Swiss Region Bans Burqas

I don't like the government being able to tell us what we can and cannot wear for one thing. A government enforced dress code? No thank you.
But you already accept you Cannot walk around naked in most places. These laws reflect both ends of the spectrum. You cannot go around naked, and neither can you disguise your identity. Btw, I expect most people would find people parading around naked offensive for one reason or another, well there are plenty of people who find being unable to see the facial expressions of the person they are attempting to interact with offensive too.

Last edited:
West Virginia seems to have covered all the extenuating circumstances Frigidwierdo was concerned about in their banning of face masks:
WEST VIRGINIA 61-6-22.
Wearing masks, hoods or face coverings.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person, whether in a motor vehicle or otherwise, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby any portion of the face is so covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, may:
(1) Come into or appear upon any walk, alley, street, road, highway or other thoroughfare dedicated to public use;
(2) Come into or appear in any trading area, concourse, waiting room, lobby or foyer open to, used by or frequented by the general public;
(3) Come into or appear upon or within any of the grounds or buildings owned, leased, maintained or operated by the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(4) Ask, request, or demand entrance or admission to the premises, enclosure, dwelling or place of business of any other person within this state; or
(5) Attend or participate in any meeting upon private property of another unless written permission for such meeting has first been obtained from the owner or occupant thereof.
(b) The provisions of this section do not apply to any person:
(1) Under sixteen years of age;
(2) Wearing a traditional holiday costume;
(3) Engaged in a trade or employment where a mask, hood or device is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer;
(4) Using a mask, hood or device in theatrical productions, including use in mardi gras celebrations or similar masquerade balls;
(5) Wearing a mask, hood or device prescribed for civil defense drills, exercises or emergencies; or
(6) Wearing a mask, hood or device for the sole purpose of protection from the elements or while participating in a winter sport.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned in the county jail not more than one year, or both fined and imprisoned
CND: State Codes Related To Wearing Masks

Which is fine. However this Swiss Canton DIDN'T DO THIS.
Correct. The Swiss know it isn't 6 year old children celebrating Halloween who might blow them up. Good for the Swiss :)

So why don't they know it's not Burka wearing women either?

In fact, how many bombs have gone off in Switzerland? Er........ none?

I don't like the government being able to tell us what we can and cannot wear for one thing. A government enforced dress code? No thank you.
But you already accept you Cannot walk around naked in most places. These laws reflect both ends of the spectrum. You cannot go around naked, and neither can you disguise your identity. Btw, I expect most people would find people parading around naked offensive for one reason or another, well there are plenty of people who find being unable to see the facial expressions of the person you are attempting to interact with people offensive.

I can understand that under some circumstances, being in court, having an official photo taken for a passport or a drivers license, etc. However, to ban an article clothing entirely and telling people that they cannot wear it under any circumstance is silly to me and I would never go for something like that. It is OUR choice what we wear. Perhaps not WHEN we can wear it.

I don't think very many Americans would stand behind a government imposed dress code, aside from those rules we already have regarding public decency, etc.
It's not a dress code. There is a huge number of variables between you can't be naked and you cannot hide your identity with a mask. Not much of a code imho.

I would never support the government banning a clothing item. No way. We are Americans and free to wear what we want to wear and what makes us feel comfortable. Not what other people like or approve of.

West Virginia seems to have covered all the extenuating circumstances Frigidwierdo was concerned about in their banning of face masks:
WEST VIRGINIA 61-6-22.
Wearing masks, hoods or face coverings.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person, whether in a motor vehicle or otherwise, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby any portion of the face is so covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, may:
(1) Come into or appear upon any walk, alley, street, road, highway or other thoroughfare dedicated to public use;
(2) Come into or appear in any trading area, concourse, waiting room, lobby or foyer open to, used by or frequented by the general public;
(3) Come into or appear upon or within any of the grounds or buildings owned, leased, maintained or operated by the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(4) Ask, request, or demand entrance or admission to the premises, enclosure, dwelling or place of business of any other person within this state; or
(5) Attend or participate in any meeting upon private property of another unless written permission for such meeting has first been obtained from the owner or occupant thereof.
(b) The provisions of this section do not apply to any person:
(1) Under sixteen years of age;
(2) Wearing a traditional holiday costume;
(3) Engaged in a trade or employment where a mask, hood or device is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer;
(4) Using a mask, hood or device in theatrical productions, including use in mardi gras celebrations or similar masquerade balls;
(5) Wearing a mask, hood or device prescribed for civil defense drills, exercises or emergencies; or
(6) Wearing a mask, hood or device for the sole purpose of protection from the elements or while participating in a winter sport.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned in the county jail not more than one year, or both fined and imprisoned
CND: State Codes Related To Wearing Masks

Which is fine. However this Swiss Canton DIDN'T DO THIS.
Correct. The Swiss know it isn't 6 year old children celebrating Halloween who might blow them up. Good for the Swiss :)

So why don't they know it's not Burka wearing women either?

In fact, how many bombs have gone off in Switzerland? Er........ none?
Why should they have to wait when they can see what's happened in various places around the world, when they don't have to and when they are absolutely not impinging on religious freedom or rights? They don't, and they've decided not to.

I don't think very many Americans would stand behind a government imposed dress code, aside from those rules we already have regarding public decency, etc.
It's not a dress code. There is a huge number of variables between you can't be naked and you cannot hide your identity with a mask. Not much of a code imho.

I would never support the government banning a clothing item. No way. We are Americans and free to wear what we want to wear and what makes us feel comfortable. Not what other people like or approve of.
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to differ, although, as I've pointed out in earlier posts, there are already laws in the US that ban face coverings, most of them being born of a desire to thwart KKK hiding there ID's and evading justice for their racist crimes. I'm not aware of any Americans holding demonstrations about it.

And it is like a dress code when the government tells you that you are not allowed to wear an article of clothing! This really isn't much of a problem here in America that I see anyways. Rarely do you see anyone wearing a burka here in the US.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to differ, although, as I've pointed out in earlier states, there are already laws in the US that ban face coverings, and I'm not aware of any Americans holding demonstrations about it.

In certain situations they are banned. Not entirely. I will wear what I want on my own time.

We don't want people walking into banks with knit face masks or nylons. We don't want people walking around the streets with gas masks. We ask people with hoodies to push them off the head when they enter stores, attend classes and speak to authorities.
Why should we allow a leather face mask or a sheet or material covering the whole body when we have security issues and the safety of other citizens could be at issue. Women can dress modestly but for ID purposes faces need to be seen. Even in areas where cameras use bio-metrics, they need to see the face and body.
Muslims can dress modestly but they don't have the right to hide not just face but body type and even the way they walk when it could endanger others.
Islam does not require a burka only modesty at prayers. Most muslim women even in muslim countries don't wear a burka or cover their face. Trying to make stupid excuses by citing religious freedom is disingenuous. The country also has a right to feel safe and in todays treat level that means scanners, metal detectors, cameras, ID cards, bio-metrics and random searching of bags in some place.
Sorry, public safety trumps mistaken belief that a sheet is an islamic requirement. They are able to practice their faith but that only asks for modesty. Even the veil was an exception and occasionally used by the wives of the prophet. It was not a requirement for all women.
Police and others need to see that dangerous people are not trying to escape justice or perpetrate an attack by hiding under a burka. Sorry no hiding faces, and if asked to submit to searches and identification checks.

You ask those with hoodies to do things. But IS IT AGAINST THE LAW to wear a hoodie in class?

So the country has the right to feel safe? So we cause problems with Muslims and then have to feel safe by taking freedoms away. Religious freedom? Who cares whether you think it's religious freedom or just freedom.

If you want to make laws, don't make laws that say "Burkas can't be worn here and there", make laws that ACTUALLY DEAL WITH WHAT YOU CLAIM TO BE DEALING WITH.

If this is a safety issue, then make a law which specifically defines the safety issue.

Like: You can't enter an inside public place, shops, restaurants, banks, any manner of buildings, with our face covered.

Then women can walk the streets with a Burka but can't enter the shops. Nor can people with motorcycle helmets.

If you make a law banning ONLY Burkas, it's an anti-Muslim law, plain and simple.

there is no protection to hide your identity when security is as issue. Burka Shmuka, no face covering and religion is not required to cover face. It is not anti-muslim, the use of the burka is not muslim, modest dress is.

Whether it's religious is neither here nor there.

Firstly, different parts of religions see things differently. Some parts of Islam see the Burka as a part of their religion.

A Christian doesn't have to wear a cross. Yet they CAN wear a cross if they choose so, and if they decide it is part of their religion.

Secondly, what security risk is there of a woman walking around the streets in a burka?

not dress code, just don't hide your face code

That doesn't matter to me. I don't want the government able to dictate to us American citizens in such a way.
So you think people who want to walk the streets naked should be free to do so?

That doesn't matter to me. I don't want the government able to dictate to us American citizens in such a way.

No, that is a health matter.

for security there are already code about covering face

They can cover their body but thee has to be a way to see the face

Well there are also people who put the safety of their countrymen, friends, children, families and selves above the gvmnt asking people not to hide their ID, like the people who voted in Switzerland. But each to their own. At least they held a referendum.

Now, we have already gone over certain situations where covering your face is inappropriate. The government should not be able to outlaw a certain article of clothing because you or other people might find it offensive. That is just not how we do things in this country.

If I wanted to go grocery shopping in a burka, there is absolutely no reason why the government should be able to dictate to me that I cannot. Going to the grocery store naked is about public lewdness, indecency and health code issues. Covering your body brings about NONE of those issues.

Forum List

Back