Swiss Region Bans Burqas

We don't want people walking into banks with knit face masks or nylons. We don't want people walking around the streets with gas masks. We ask people with hoodies to push them off the head when they enter stores, attend classes and speak to authorities.
Why should we allow a leather face mask or a sheet or material covering the whole body when we have security issues and the safety of other citizens could be at issue. Women can dress modestly but for ID purposes faces need to be seen. Even in areas where cameras use bio-metrics, they need to see the face and body.
Muslims can dress modestly but they don't have the right to hide not just face but body type and even the way they walk when it could endanger others.
Islam does not require a burka only modesty at prayers. Most muslim women even in muslim countries don't wear a burka or cover their face. Trying to make stupid excuses by citing religious freedom is disingenuous. The country also has a right to feel safe and in todays treat level that means scanners, metal detectors, cameras, ID cards, bio-metrics and random searching of bags in some place.
Sorry, public safety trumps mistaken belief that a sheet is an islamic requirement. They are able to practice their faith but that only asks for modesty. Even the veil was an exception and occasionally used by the wives of the prophet. It was not a requirement for all women.
Police and others need to see that dangerous people are not trying to escape justice or perpetrate an attack by hiding under a burka. Sorry no hiding faces, and if asked to submit to searches and identification checks.

It's not against the law to wear a mask in a bank is it?
It's not against the law to wear a hoodie in a store is it?
there are several states with laws like this, again, usually as a result of the KKK.
Tampa Man Arrested for Wearing Clown Mask in Public
By Kamika Dunlap on February 25, 2010 11:45 AM
Who knew that wearing a clown mask in public could get you arrested in Florida?

That's what happened to a Tampa man who was charged with a somewhat arcane offense of wearing a mask or hood
I agree...once we start banning certain types of clothing...where do we stop? I totally agree with banning it in certain contexts - certain professions where it's a hinderance to doing a job or a safety hazard. But if someone wants to walk down the street wearing a burka...it's their choice in a free country just as it's their choice, as a Muslim woman in a free country not to wear it.
We stop at face masks. That's all we've all been saying afaik.

Again, we're a free country, if people want to cover their face when they're out and about - I could care less. No one used to care - now, suddenly, it's an issue.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.

Only if they're muslim.
More likely if they're a clown.

Last edited:
Again, we're a free country, if people want to cover their face when they're out and about - I could care less. No one used to care - now, suddenly, it's an issue.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.
Requiring Muslims to act like the rest of society is not discrimination. In fact, it's the opposite.

They do act like the rest of society.

If they are living in the west and concealing their face behind a burqa or niqab, they are not acting like the rest of society. In fact, this applies to many Muslim countries too. They'd be at home in wahabi Saudi Arabia though.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.
Requiring Muslims to act like the rest of society is not discrimination. In fact, it's the opposite.

If they are living in the west and concealing their face behind a burqa or niqab, they are not acting like the rest of society. In fact, this applies to many Muslim countries too. They'd be at home in wahabi Saudi Arabia though.

People in the US where all sorts of clothing - what defines "acting like the rest of society"? We don't have any cultural dress code beyond keeping the naughty bits covered. I don't care what people choose to wear.

It's law to wear a helmet hilts driving a motorcycle for safety reasons, but you cannot wear it into a bank or a gvmnt building, for security reasons. So your point was?

The point was you said you couldn't wear things in the street. So, in a bank you can't cover your head. Why isn't this the law? Why is it against the law to be wearing a burka in the street where people often cover their heads?
Are you seriously saying you don't understand why helmets are the law on motorcycles, that they are removed otherwise? Did you also miss me say that I don't think anyone should be covering their faces in public? Did you miss me say I'm not a lawmaker in Switzerland? If so, you should now be up to speed.

This doesn't have to do with safety, this has to do with logic.

You said no one should be covering their faces in public, THEN said that covering your face in public is done for safety reasons in some circumstances.

So, either you can or you can't cover your face in public.

What about Halloween? Is it not okay to cover your face at Halloween? Or any other time? Weddings? Costume parties and so on?
It isn't either or, and it doesn't have to be either or. Safety and security, for example are issues that form exceptions. Life isn't black and white, I don't know where you got the idea that it is.

No, not black and white, so when you have people dressing up for Halloween, are they breaking the law or not? It's kind of important you know, six year olds getting arrested for dressing up doesn't go down well.
Seems if the 6 yr old hadn't got permission from the local Sherrif the poor little mite would be breaking the law in California.
But not in Switzerland :lol::lol::lol:

Well, I already posted to this thread that I definitely think it should be a choice. If a woman feels comfortable wearing a burka or something else because that is how she was raised and she feels uncomfortable being any other way, then she should be able to wear it. It is wrong to force someone to wear one, but I think it is also wrong to ban them from wearing it except in certain situations of course.

I agree...once we start banning certain types of clothing...where do we stop? I totally agree with banning it in certain contexts - certain professions where it's a hinderance to doing a job or a safety hazard. But if someone wants to walk down the street wearing a burka...it's their choice in a free country just as it's their choice, as a Muslim woman in a free country not to wear it.

Terrorism.

Uh...no. Terrorism has been around a long time. We've had more terrorist attacks in the US from non-Islamic fruitcakes and I don't see you proposing extraordinary measures to curtail rights in order to combat them.
I didn't realise it is a right to conceal your face in public. I've never read that. Can you tell me where it is?

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.

People in the US where all sorts of clothing - what defines "acting like the rest of society"? We don't have any cultural dress code beyond keeping the naughty bits covered. I don't care what people choose to wear.
Almost all members of society in this instance do not conceal there identity under black cloths, therefore, since they are not in Saudi, they are not acting like the rest of society. Not even close.

West Virginia seems to have covered all the extenuating circumstances Frigidwierdo was concerned about in their banning of face masks:
WEST VIRGINIA 61-6-22.
Wearing masks, hoods or face coverings.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person, whether in a motor vehicle or otherwise, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby any portion of the face is so covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, may:
(1) Come into or appear upon any walk, alley, street, road, highway or other thoroughfare dedicated to public use;
(2) Come into or appear in any trading area, concourse, waiting room, lobby or foyer open to, used by or frequented by the general public;
(3) Come into or appear upon or within any of the grounds or buildings owned, leased, maintained or operated by the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(4) Ask, request, or demand entrance or admission to the premises, enclosure, dwelling or place of business of any other person within this state; or
(5) Attend or participate in any meeting upon private property of another unless written permission for such meeting has first been obtained from the owner or occupant thereof.
(b) The provisions of this section do not apply to any person:
(1) Under sixteen years of age;
(2) Wearing a traditional holiday costume;
(3) Engaged in a trade or employment where a mask, hood or device is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer;
(4) Using a mask, hood or device in theatrical productions, including use in mardi gras celebrations or similar masquerade balls;
(5) Wearing a mask, hood or device prescribed for civil defense drills, exercises or emergencies; or
(6) Wearing a mask, hood or device for the sole purpose of protection from the elements or while participating in a winter sport.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned in the county jail not more than one year, or both fined and imprisoned
CND: State Codes Related To Wearing Masks

The garment is specific to a religion. If they banned kippahs a Muslim man couldn't wear one either but it's an item worn mainly by Jews, and it's a choice...

I have not read the whole thread (yet), but early on I said BAN it. I want to say very clearly PaintMyHouseYellow is showing good to great arguments against my first instinct. Maybe I am wrong? PaintMyHouseYellow has shown plenty of "costumes" that could be considered same thing.

I am going to re-consider. Keep packing those AK-47 underneath whilst' I ponder.

Well, I already posted to this thread that I definitely think it should be a choice. If a woman feels comfortable wearing a burka or something else because that is how she was raised and she feels uncomfortable being any other way, then she should be able to wear it. It is wrong to force someone to wear one, but I think it is also wrong to ban them from wearing it except in certain situations of course.

and when dangerous criminals use burkas to escape capture or to move weapons that might kill someone you know, you will care. These are no maybe situations but have been noted several times that men, not just women use burkas for criminal activity, even in the middle east not just the west.
There is no requirement religious or other that a woman's face has to be covered. Apart from funerals, few women hide their face. A few that have had surgery or are heavily scared might use a mesh or thin veil attached to a hat but if questioned they would have to remove it. It makes the face harder to see but does not obstruct completely like a burka or niqab.

The most holy pilgrimage to mecca does not require women to cover their face, Why should the west permit it when security is so important?

The religious argument is BS. This is not Oman or taliban Afghanistan. Other muslims countries have restrictions against not just covering the face but even the use of the hijab. They are allowed to rule on the side of security but we shouldn't? Ask those that fought in Afghanistan and Iraq about the risk by terrorists wear the burka.

Saving lives over abuse of religion, any day of the week

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.

Anti-mask laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mask Ban Results In Arrested Protesters Facing 10 Years In Prison - Counter Current News

New York City Police Use 150-Year-Old Law Against Wearing Masks To Arrest Wall Street Demonstrators

Laws might vary by state and cities might even have their own laws, but there is not protected right to hiding the face. Many places even want children to use make-up instead of masks for halloween.

Clowns and street actors might need permits and if asked remove face paint and masks for security purposes. Unless you live in Minnesota, N Daktota or Alaska, I ask people to remove any face covering inside. I think men that wear beards should be required to have ID or photos with clean face and bearded.

Women that have scars or discoloration might be required to remove make-up to match ID that show the marks if asked.

We don't want people walking into banks with knit face masks or nylons. We don't want people walking around the streets with gas masks. We ask people with hoodies to push them off the head when they enter stores, attend classes and speak to authorities.
Why should we allow a leather face mask or a sheet or material covering the whole body when we have security issues and the safety of other citizens could be at issue. Women can dress modestly but for ID purposes faces need to be seen. Even in areas where cameras use bio-metrics, they need to see the face and body.
Muslims can dress modestly but they don't have the right to hide not just face but body type and even the way they walk when it could endanger others.
Islam does not require a burka only modesty at prayers. Most muslim women even in muslim countries don't wear a burka or cover their face. Trying to make stupid excuses by citing religious freedom is disingenuous. The country also has a right to feel safe and in todays treat level that means scanners, metal detectors, cameras, ID cards, bio-metrics and random searching of bags in some place.
Sorry, public safety trumps mistaken belief that a sheet is an islamic requirement. They are able to practice their faith but that only asks for modesty. Even the veil was an exception and occasionally used by the wives of the prophet. It was not a requirement for all women.
Police and others need to see that dangerous people are not trying to escape justice or perpetrate an attack by hiding under a burka. Sorry no hiding faces, and if asked to submit to searches and identification checks.

It's not against the law to wear a mask in a bank is it?
It's not against the law to wear a hoodie in a store is it?
there are several states with laws like this, again, usually as a result of the KKK.
Tampa Man Arrested for Wearing Clown Mask in Public
By Kamika Dunlap on February 25, 2010 11:45 AM
Who knew that wearing a clown mask in public could get you arrested in Florida?

That's what happened to a Tampa man who was charged with a somewhat arcane offense of wearing a mask or hood

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.
More likely if they're a clown.

Make-up a bio-metric can still identify with facial markers. Few clowns would wear a mask.

This doesn't have to do with safety, this has to do with logic.

You said no one should be covering their faces in public, THEN said that covering your face in public is done for safety reasons in some circumstances.

So, either you can or you can't cover your face in public.

What about Halloween? Is it not okay to cover your face at Halloween? Or any other time? Weddings? Costume parties and so on?
Comparing impermanent situations to women wearing beekeeper suits ALL THE TIME.

Fail.

So, it's okay if you go out and wear a Burka once, but not okay if you wear it every day? How do the police know you've worn it more than once?

Or do they have to arrest you to find out? Then they arrest kids on Halloween and make sure they don't do it again until they get arrested the next year?

Your outlandish hypotheticals have nothing to do with the law that was passed or the reasons it was passed. It's you Leftists that celebrate movies like Vendetta in which terrorists hide behind masks. We consider masked miscreants as target practice for armed citizens. The only reason anyone wants to disguise themselves in public is to commit violence and it's better to follow the Golden Rule: Do unto Leftists before Leftists do unto you.

Hypotheticals? You mean people don't cover their faces at Halloween? Of course they do.

You make a law banning people covering their faces in public, then NOBODY at ANY TIME can cover their faces.

So when it's cold they can't cover their faces, when it's party time they can't cover their faces.

Or should we be honest about things here. The law was passed because the people covering their faces are Muslims, and "fuck Muslims, we hate Muslims, Muslims don't have rights, fuck Muslims and fuck them again"

Right? That's all it's about, it's about Christians declaring their "superiority" over Muslims, making life for Muslims as difficult as possible and telling Muslims "FUCK YOU".

Nothing more than that.
Muslims can wear Halloween masks too. Your argument fails on every level.

No it doesn't.

So, Muslims can go around in Halloween masks instead of the Burka then? Then what will happen, some person will then decide to ban Halloween masks to get at Muslims.

A Muslim wants to cover their face with a burka, but can't. How is that freedom?

You ask those with hoodies to do things. But IS IT AGAINST THE LAW to wear a hoodie in class?

So the country has the right to feel safe? So we cause problems with Muslims and then have to feel safe by taking freedoms away. Religious freedom? Who cares whether you think it's religious freedom or just freedom.

If you want to make laws, don't make laws that say "Burkas can't be worn here and there", make laws that ACTUALLY DEAL WITH WHAT YOU CLAIM TO BE DEALING WITH.

If this is a safety issue, then make a law which specifically defines the safety issue.

Like: You can't enter an inside public place, shops, restaurants, banks, any manner of buildings, with our face covered.

Then women can walk the streets with a Burka but can't enter the shops. Nor can people with motorcycle helmets.

If you make a law banning ONLY Burkas, it's an anti-Muslim law, plain and simple.

West Virginia seems to have covered all the extenuating circumstances Frigidwierdo was concerned about in their banning of face masks:
WEST VIRGINIA 61-6-22.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person, whether in a motor vehicle or otherwise, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby any portion of the face is so covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, may:
(1) Come into or appear upon any walk, alley, street, road, highway or other thoroughfare dedicated to public use;
(2) Come into or appear in any trading area, concourse, waiting room, lobby or foyer open to, used by or frequented by the general public;
(3) Come into or appear upon or within any of the grounds or buildings owned, leased, maintained or operated by the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(4) Ask, request, or demand entrance or admission to the premises, enclosure, dwelling or place of business of any other person within this state; or
(5) Attend or participate in any meeting upon private property of another unless written permission for such meeting has first been obtained from the owner or occupant thereof.
(3) Engaged in a trade or employment where a mask, hood or device is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer;
(4) Using a mask, hood or device in theatrical productions, including use in mardi gras celebrations or similar masquerade balls;
(5) Wearing a mask, hood or device prescribed for civil defense drills, exercises or emergencies; or
(6) Wearing a mask, hood or device for the sole purpose of protection from the elements or while participating in a winter sport.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned in the county jail not more than one year, or both fined and imprisoned

Which is fine. However this Swiss Canton DIDN'T DO THIS.

"Swis Region Bans Burqas"

Thankfully something that will never happen in the United States, unless America surrenders to the fear, ignorance, and hate common to most on the social right.

We'll do whatever it takes to secure our country and protect our culture. Don't trouble yourself over it.

WEST VIRGINIA 61-6-22.

Which is fine. However this Swiss Canton DIDN'T DO THIS.
Correct. The Swiss know it isn't 6 year old children celebrating Halloween who might blow them up. Good for the Swiss :)

You ask those with hoodies to do things. But IS IT AGAINST THE LAW to wear a hoodie in class?

So the country has the right to feel safe? So we cause problems with Muslims and then have to feel safe by taking freedoms away. Religious freedom? Who cares whether you think it's religious freedom or just freedom.

If you want to make laws, don't make laws that say "Burkas can't be worn here and there", make laws that ACTUALLY DEAL WITH WHAT YOU CLAIM TO BE DEALING WITH.

If this is a safety issue, then make a law which specifically defines the safety issue.

Like: You can't enter an inside public place, shops, restaurants, banks, any manner of buildings, with our face covered.

Then women can walk the streets with a Burka but can't enter the shops. Nor can people with motorcycle helmets.

If you make a law banning ONLY Burkas, it's an anti-Muslim law, plain and simple.

there is no protection to hide your identity when security is as issue. Burka Shmuka, no face covering and religion is not required to cover face. It is not anti-muslim, the use of the burka is not muslim, modest dress is.

I have not read the whole thread (yet), but early on I said BAN it. I want to say very clearly PaintMyHouseYellow is showing good to great arguments against my first instinct. Maybe I am wrong? PaintMyHouseYellow has shown plenty of "costumes" that could be considered same thing.

I am going to re-consider. Keep packing those AK-47 underneath whilst' I ponder.

and when dangerous criminals use burkas to escape capture or to move weapons that might kill someone you know, you will care. These are no maybe situations but have been noted several times that men, not just women use burkas for criminal activity, even in the middle east not just the west.
There is no requirement religious or other that a woman's face has to be covered. Apart from funerals, few women hide their face. A few that have had surgery or are heavily scared might use a mesh or thin veil attached to a hat but if questioned they would have to remove it. It makes the face harder to see but does not obstruct completely like a burka or niqab.

The most holy pilgrimage to mecca does not require women to cover their face, Why should the west permit it when security is so important?

The religious argument is BS. This is not Oman or taliban Afghanistan. Other muslims countries have restrictions against not just covering the face but even the use of the hijab. They are allowed to rule on the side of security but we shouldn't? Ask those that fought in Afghanistan and Iraq about the risk by terrorists wear the burka.

Saving lives over abuse of religion, any day of the week

Fair enough - good points all. I take back my argument, I did not realize there were so many laws in place already.

I don't like the government being able to tell us what we can and cannot wear for one thing. A government enforced dress code? No thank you.
We don't like a government that purposely allows undesirable security risks in to colonize.

We don't like a government that allows drug and weapons smuggling and human trafficking across our southern border.

We don't like a government that refuses to close our borders and enforce our immigration laws...

You have to take your shoes off in airports because the government says so..."national security" and all...these "refugees" have no business in a western nation..."national security".

I don't like the government being able to tell us what we can and cannot wear for one thing. A government enforced dress code? No thank you.

You have to take your shoes off in airports..."national security" and all...these people have no business in a western nation..."national security".

That's different from banning an article of clothing completely.

Forum List

Back