Swing Voters Are Flocking to GOP

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Democrats' final push to woo undecided voters appears to have fizzled, potentially putting dozens of competitive House races beyond reach and undermining the party's chances in at least four toss-up Senate seats, according to party strategists and officials.

Independents, a crucial swing bloc, seem to be breaking sharply for Republicans in the final days of the campaign.

One nonpartisan prognosticator, Stuart Rothenberg, said Friday he thought the Republicans could pick up as many as 70 House seats—something no party has achieved since 1948. The Republicans need 39 seats to take the majority. Fading Democratic support among independents is also keeping alive the GOP's longer-shot hopes of taking the Senate.

Key Bloc Of Voters Flocks to The GOP - WSJ.com

It's looking like Tuesday is going to turn out to be a particularly ugly day for the Democratic Party all across the country. Independents are breaking solidly with the Republicans and many seemingly invulnerable Democrats are in unexpectedly competitive races (Barney Frank, Jim Oberstar, Dennis Kucinich, Maurice Hinchey). I have no doubt we'll see a few upset defeats Tuesday night. Even in my native New England where Republicans were thought to be almost extinct after the past two election cycles, there are close to ten Congressional seats in play. I'm starting to believe the Republicans are going to hit 70 seats in the House and they may have a real shot at control of the Senate after all.

The bigger question is, what will they do having been returned the trust of the American people?

It's still early. Anything can happen between now and Tuesday.

I'll breath a sigh of relief after the results are in Tuesday. And then, its time to really get to work.

But then Im sure in about two weeks we will have people starting up the Presidential campaigns. totally sucks.

It's still early. Anything can happen between now and Tuesday.

I'll breath a sigh of relief after the results are in Tuesday. And then, its time to really get to work.

But then Im sure in about two weeks we will have people starting up the Presidential campaigns. totally sucks.

Obama has never stopped campaigning. That's all he is good for.

The OP is right, we're swingers and we're going GOP this year

8437-bob-carol-ted-alice-1969.jpg

Once again............public service announcement for all conservatives....................

Make double sure to tune in this guy.......................

olbermann_keiith_pate-2.jpg

on election night.............MSNBC starting at 8PM and he'll be on all night.

Gonna be classic cant miss TV..........................:fu:

Once again............public service announcement for all conservatives....................

They fired Keith and replaced him with James Taylor?

• Thanks
Reactions: del

We represent the Lollipop league, the lollipop league

They fired Keith and replaced him with James Taylor?

Yeh I will watch these guys but I will hold a barf bag close by for when Olberman is on.
It's a no win for someone on the right to watch....If the GOP has a huge nite they will downplay it.If the GOP loses one race they will spin it as a major victory for the Obama administration.They are after all a major reason why Obama won to begin with as they pushed him over Hilary.:confused:

The bigger question is, what will they do having been returned the trust of the American people?

Just as sure as I am that they'll get a more-than-slim majority in the House, I'm also as sure the Democrats will retain a majority (small) in the Senate. So what will they do? Not much, I think. They won't have enough votes to defund the health insurance laws, or to do much else. It will probably be gridlock for the next two years. How that will play in 2012 I don't know; it depends on who the Republican Prez candidate is and how the economy is going. My hope is that both Ron Paul and Paul Ryan are given more influence in the party than the current leadership hierarchy.

edit--one thing I hope gets done in the Senate is a rules change that requires a Senator to actually filibuster, instead of just saying they filibuster then going to the office and downing a fifth of Jack or whatever they do.

Last edited:

Just as sure as I am that they'll get a more-than-slim majority in the House, I'm also as sure the Democrats will retain a majority (small) in the Senate. So what will they do? Not much, I think. They won't have enough votes to defund the health insurance laws, or to do much else. It will probably be gridlock for the next two years. How that will play in 2012 I don't know; it depends on who the Republican Prez candidate is and how the economy is going. My hope is that both Ron Paul and Paul Ryan are given more influence in the party than the current leadership hierarchy.

edit--one thing I hope gets done in the Senate is a rules change that requires a Senator to actually filibuster, instead of just saying they filibuster then going to the office and downing a fifth of Jack or whatever they do.

Congress has the power of the purse. They can fund or defund whatever they want. Congress defunded the Viet Nam war.

Can Obama veto anything? Yeah. But I like the idea of forcing people, Democrats included, to vote on repeal measures.

You're right though, the biggest fights might be with Republican leadership. McConnell surrounded himself with people like Lisa Murkowski and Bob Bennett.

Forum List

Back