Swine Flu!!!!!!!

Oh My God - We are all not going to die....

WhoLab45.htm

Thanks for that, Frankie.

While it was pointless, it was at least short.

Oh My God - We are all not going to die....

WhoLab45.htm

I believe that you are wrong. So far, I've not met anybody that has lived forever. Seems like just about everybody dies sooner or later. Has there been a change to this?

I take it that the chart is based on the fiscal year so this would be around week 7. With all the people I know, to include the forums I write in and on Paltalk, I only know of one person who actually had the swine flue, and she is a nurse in a pediatrics clinic. Not worried about it here.

I had it a couple weeks ago.

And that makes 2.
I heard today at lunch that all cases of flu are now being recorded as H1N1 because of the problems with false test reports and the three day turn around from nose-swab to lab verification.

The problem is with the rapid flu test. It's specific for Flu A, but not sensitive. That means it's only good for a positive read. (Too many false negatives for a negative read). Every case of flu A is presumed to be H1N1 since few if any strains of the flu that have been serotyped have been anything but.

Furthermore, since the treatment options are the same (supportative care and tamiflu), it makes little sense to wait three days to figure out what type of flu it is.

The CDC outlines all of this on their web site if you are interested. It does not mean, as some would suggest, that the typing is not occurring in order to "hype" H1N1.

And that makes 2.
I heard today at lunch that all cases of flu are now being recorded as H1N1 because of the problems with false test reports and the three day turn around from nose-swab to lab verification.

The problem is with the rapid flu test. It's specific for Flu A, but not sensitive. That means it's only good for a positive read. (Too many false negatives for a negative read). Every case of flu A is presumed to be H1N1 since few if any strains of the flu that have been serotyped have been anything but.

Furthermore, since the treatment options are the same (supportative care and tamiflu), it makes little sense to wait three days to figure out what type of flu it is.

The CDC outlines all of this on their web site if you are interested. It does not mean, as some would suggest, that the typing is not occurring in order to "hype" H1N1.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that.

What was happening though was an abnormal spike in emergency room visits for people with flu like symptoms for the first month leading in to the actual H1N1 outbreak part II. The vast majority of these people were simply scared and over-reacting to the overly hyped fears surrounding swine flu. (and who could blame them given the spectacle treatment given in the media)

This in turn led to more testing and H1N1 positives.

All of this led to inflated flu numbers - the CDC continues to state "higher numbers than normal for this time of year" etc. That reflects an hyper-sensitive and paranoid population. With the "regular" flu, which actually could be more virulent and posing a longer recovery time than the swine flu, most folks simply stay home, take their flu medicine, and that is that. No emergency room visits, flu testing, etc. The swine flu hype changed all of that and people were rushing to emergency rooms - the vast majority who did not need to be there.

The story on swine flu is becoming increasingly clear - a newer strain of virus - thus more people can be potentially effected as natural immunity was not fully developed yet. But for 99% of the population, the swine flu was no more dangerous than the regular flu -which while killing older people, does kill younger people and kids just like the swine flu - but in very limited cases. The swine flu did appear to be moderately more impacting on a highly limited segment of the younger population - the vast majority of those cases involved individuals with often serious pre-existing medical conditions though. The implication that the swine flu was striking down large numbers of healthy people, including kids, was never true - and there were more rational voices within the medical community stating such, but they were quickly drowned out by the din of media hyped hysteria.

The present rate of decline in overall testing as seen in the graph is as much a reflection of the swine flu transmission rates quickly dying down, as well as more and more people waking up to the fact that for the vast majority of the population this flu was no big deal.

U.S. WHO/NREVSS Collaborating Laboratories National Summary, 2009-10

Hopefully we don't now get hit with a round of the regular flu in the coming weeks and months, as that would make for a tougher flu season...

Forum List

Back