Swine flu vaccination effort starts Monday: CDC

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Healthcare workers in Indiana and Tennessee will be among the first to get swine flu vaccines in the United States on Monday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Swine flu vaccination effort starts Monday: CDC | U.S. | Reuters

anyone else not at all worried about swine flu?
I wasn't until we had a huge break out in this region and now my son has the flu and most of the symptoms. We go to the doctor at 1pm today.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Healthcare workers in Indiana and Tennessee will be among the first to get swine flu vaccines in the United States on Monday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

I wasn't until we had a huge break out in this region and now my son has the flu and most of the symptoms. We go to the doctor at 1pm today.

how old is your son?

We have another staff member who may be infected. So far that's three from our unit alone. My worry is bringing it home to my daughter and 4 year old grandson. They are in the high-risk groups (well, I am too... but I'm more concerned about them). Then again, she works in a daycare and he attends the same school, so I suppose they could bring it home to me lol.

Ah :(

I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Don't take it.

It was rushed through a mock/pseudo clinical trial, it has ingredients that have decimated the health of our gulf war soldiers as a result of untested anthrax vaccines, most Canadian provinces have put a hold on administering the vaccines because studyies are showing that you're twice as likely to contract the flu AFTER being vaccinated, and there are even records that show some of the ingredients are used in drugs to cause sterility in large mammals.

Additionally, more people died of swine flu shots in the 1976 media/government created panic than died of actual swine flu. CDC officials who were interviewed after the 1976 fiasco went on record stating that they KNEW the vaccines were harmful to people. Today, we have CNN and FOX telling us to get our shots because the government is concerned for us.

Do you really believe that?

how old is your son?
he will be two in november, so he is part of the high risk group. I wasn't too worried until he developed a rash on his bottom last night and this morning he has alittle on his face. Plus I guess the biggest sign is they seem like they are better which he did yesterday and then last night he got his fever back and developed the rash.

I am not going to get the shot though, I am healthy and if my son has it I have already been exposed. :)

how old is your son?
he will be two in november, so he is part of the high risk group. I wasn't too worried until he developed a rash on his bottom last night and this morning he has alittle on his face. Plus I guess the biggest sign is they seem like they are better which he did yesterday and then last night he got his fever back and developed the rash.

i see. well i can understand your concern.

WSU has something like 3,000 cases here last month and guess what people do on saturdays in spokane?
They go to football games in Pullman.

Don't take it.

It was rushed through a mock/pseudo clinical trial, it has ingredients that have decimated the health of our gulf war soldiers as a result of untested anthrax vaccines, most Canadian provinces have put a hold on administering the vaccines because studyies are showing that you're twice as likely to contract the flu AFTER being vaccinated, and there are even records that show some of the ingredients are used in drugs to cause sterility in large mammals.

Additionally, more people died of swine flu shots in the 1976 media/government created panic than died of actual swine flu. CDC officials who were interviewed after the 1976 fiasco went on record stating that they KNEW the vaccines were harmful to people. Today, we have CNN and FOX telling us to get our shots because the government is concerned for us.

yeah it hasn't been very long since the first scare so i really don't think a stupendous vaccine is here yet.

Don't take it.

yeah it hasn't been very long since the first scare so i really don't think a stupendous vaccine is here yet.

The CDC, FDA, et al, don't really care about our health, that's what people need to remember. They are in the business of getting funding and scares of disease help that. With the large number of medications that have been causing serious harm (and even death) recently, why anyone would trust what those con artists says off hand is beyond me.

Don't take it.

Why should we believe YOU?

Vaccine for H1N1 Flu Virus - H1N1 Flu Virus - Government of Canada, Public Health Agency of Canada

General Information - H1N1 flu virus - Public Health Agency of Canada

Don't take it.

Why should we believe YOU?

Vaccine for H1N1 Flu Virus - H1N1 Flu Virus - Government of Canada, Public Health Agency of Canada

General Information - H1N1 flu virus - Public Health Agency of Canada

Oh, come on now. Are you that easily taken? "The government says it's coming, and they say I need shots, so because they are good and the government is here to help, I will line up and take my injection."

Is that really who you are? I don't think so.

I'm not gonna tell anyone what to do. I'll just ask that you think about it before you do it - especially if you're making the decision for someone whose not legally allowed to make the decision for themselves.

Here's the media report from last week:

Study prompts provinces to rethink flu plan - The Globe and Mail
Study prompts provinces to rethink flu plan

Report suggests people who get vaccinated are more likely to catch H1N1
Winnipeg — From Monday's Globe and Mail
Last updated on Wednesday, Sep. 30, 2009 01:44PM EDT

A “perplexing” Canadian study linking H1N1 to seasonal flu shots is throwing national influenza plans into disarray and testing public faith in the government agencies responsible for protecting the nation's health.

Distributed for peer review last week, the study confounded infectious-disease experts in suggesting that people vaccinated against seasonal flu are twice as likely to catch swine flu.

The paper is under peer review, and lead researchers Danuta Skowronski of the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control and Gaston De Serres of Laval University must stay mum until it's published.

Met with intense early skepticism both in Canada and abroad, the paper has since convinced several provincial health agencies to announce hasty suspensions of seasonal flu vaccinations, long-held fixtures of public-health planning.

“It has confused things very badly,” said Dr. Ethan Rubinstein, head of adult infectious diseases at the University of Manitoba. “And it has certainly cost us credibility from the public because of conflicting recommendations. Until last week, there had always been much encouragement to get the seasonal flu vaccine.”

On Sunday Quebec joined Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Nova Scotia in suspending seasonal flu shots for anyone under 65 years of age. Quebec's Health Ministry announced it would postpone vaccinations until January, clearing the autumn months for health professionals to focus on vaccinating against H1N1, which is expected to the more severe influenza strain this season.

“By the time the H1N1 wave is over, there will be ample time to vaccinate for seasonal flu,” Dr. Rubinstein said.

B.C. is expected to announce a similar suspension during a press conference Monday morning.

Other provinces, including Manitoba, are still pondering a response to the research.

New Brunswick is a lone hold-out, announcing last week it would forge ahead with seasonal flu shots for all residents in October, as originally planned.

So far, the study's impact is confined to Canada. Researchers in the U.S., Britain and Australia have not reported the same phenomenon. Marie-Paule Kieny, the World Health Organization's director of vaccine research, said last week the Canadian findings were an international anomaly and could constitute a “study bias.”

An international panel is currently scrutinizing the research data. “The review process has been expedited, so we're hoping for a response within days,” said Roy Wadia, spokesman for the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

Dr. Rubinstein, who has read the study, said it appears sound.

“There are a large number of authors, all of them excellent and credible researchers,” he said. “And the sample size is very large – 12 or 13 million people taken from the central reporting systems in three provinces. The research is solid.”

The vaccine suspensions do not apply for people over 65. Seniors are considered more susceptible to severe seasonal flu symptoms. At the same time, they carry antibodies from a 1957 pandemic that seem to neutralize the current version of H1N1.

Even if the statistical link is proven, the medical link between seasonal flu shots and H1N1 remains mysterious. One hypothesis suggests seasonal flu vaccine preoccupies the cells that would otherwise produce antibodies against H1N1.

But, according to Dr. Rubinstein, the research shows that people who received the seasonal shot during the 2007-08 flu season remained vulnerable to swine flu well into 2009 – an interval that should provide most immune systems ample restoration time.

“We don't understand the mechanism,” Dr. Rubinstein said. “At the present time it is quite perplexing.”

Don't take it.

Again, why should we believe YOU?

Science-Based Medicine » A Defense of Childhood Influenza Vaccination and Squalene-Containing Adjuvants; Joseph Mercola’s “Dirty Little Secret”

Fear Factor: Squalene Edition

After his incredibly callous argument to allow children to contract influenza (I’m paraphrasing for brevity), Dr. Mercola then employs the toxin gambit to assert that the H1N1 vaccine is unsafe. Here I have to give him credit for promoting yet another molecule to the anti-vaccination list of Chemicals of Omnipotent Toxicity™: Squalene.

"The U.S. government has contracts with several drug companies to develop and produce swine flu vaccines. At least two of those companies, Novartis and GlaxoSmithKline, are using an adjuvant in their H1N1 vaccine."

Half-truths are the most dangerous ones aren’t they? Novartis and GSK are indeed developing H1N1 flu vaccines with adjuvants containing squalene. In fact, they’ve been doing it for more than a decade – but I don’t want to give away the punch line. Let’s examine the rest of Dr. Mercola’s claims first.

"Adjuvants cause your immune system to overreact to the introduction of the organism you’re being vaccinated against."

No. Adjuvants are used to get your immune system to recognize and react to antigens that do not trigger a sufficient response on their own. Sometimes this is because the antigens are poorly reactive without being attached to a virus or bacteria like they usually are. Other times it is because we use such a minuscule amount of antigen compared to what occurs during an infection that it’s invisible to the immune system. For example, vaccination against Hepatitis B exposes you to a total 30 mcg of antigen compared to 1100 mcg/hour produced during an infection6. Regardless, adjuvants take your immune response from next to nothing to just enough to induce immunity.

"Less vaccine required per person means more individual doses available for mass vaccination campaigns. Coincidentally, this is exactly the goal of government and the pharmaceutical companies who stand to make millions from their vaccines."

Dr. Mercola’s on to us! Maybe he saw the latest batch of H1N1 vaccine delivered in one of our unmarked black helicopters. We should really be more careful.

It is no coincidence that we are trying to make hundreds of millions of vaccines at a limited cost. It is fully intentional. The world is faced with the need to produce hundreds of millions of doses of influenza vaccine with a limited amount of antigen and a limited amount of time. Failure to meet the demand will result in rationing of vaccine supplies and will leave people vulnerable who desire and deserve to be protected. Again, we would have needless suffering and lives lost. If the use of an adjuvant can help meet this demand, reduce costs, and save lives, then yes, it should be strongly considered.

Before I leave this comment, I’ll take the opportunity to point out that pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and hospitals stand to make a lot more money from an uncontrolled pandemic than from its prevention. The money spent on antivirals, antibiotics, sedation and pain medications, physician and hospital billing for the 200,000 people hospitalized in the US during a normal flu season would compensate them far better than profits from vaccine sales. It’s almost as though, against our financial interest, all of our efforts are designed to keep people from getting sick…

"Your immune system recognizes squalene as an oil molecule native to your body. It is found throughout your nervous system and brain. In fact, you can consume squalene in olive oil and not only will your immune system recognize it, you will also reap the benefits of its antioxidant properties.
The difference between “good” and “bad” squalene is the route by which it enters your body. Injection is an abnormal route of entry which incites your immune system to attack all the squalene in your body, not just the vaccine adjuvant.
Your immune system will attempt to destroy the molecule wherever it finds it, including in places where it occurs naturally, and where it is vital to the health of your nervous system.
Gulf War veterans with Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) received anthrax vaccines which contained squalene. MF59 (the Novartis squalene adjuvant) was an unapproved ingredient in experimental anthrax vaccines and has since been linked to the devastating autoimmune diseases suffered by countless Gulf War vets."

There are several points that could be addressed in this section, including anti-oxidant abuse, the childish (and incorrect) description of “good” and “bad” squalene, and the evidence refuting the claim anthrax vaccine given to Gulf War vets contained squalene, much less that it is the cause of Gulf War Syndrome (GWS). However, the main claim Dr. Mercola makes here is that squalene, when injected, will trigger an immunologic response and that these squalene-specific antibodies will then cause untold havoc in your body. That’s a testable hypothesis, and don’t you know scientists just love to test hypotheses?

To support his assertion he cites a small cohort study from 2000 that reported anti-squalene antibodies in veterans afflicted by GWS. Case closed, right? Not so much. A larger and better-designed study found no correlation between the presence of squalene antibodies and symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome. More important regarding vaccine safety, a subsequent study using more sensitive and accurate methods than those used in the study by Asa established that anti-squalene antibodies are present in a large percentage of adults regardless of exposure to squalene from vaccines, and are unchanged by subsequent exposure to squalene containing adjuvants.

In other words, adjuvants containing squalene don’t induce an immune response to squalene. No antibodies are created to cause whatever autoimmune phenomena Dr. Mercola cares to postulate, including GWS. His hypothesis fails.

"There is virtually no science to support the safety of vaccine injections on your long-term health or the health of your children. Follow-up studies last on average about two weeks, and look only for glaring injuries and illnesses."

This is simply untrue. Post-licensure surveillance for vaccine safety is among the most extensive in medicine. Squalene-containing vaccines are no exception. As of 2009, over 40 million people have been given squalene containing influenza vaccines in Europe. The incidence of serious adverse events so far reported, 1.4/100,000 doses administered, is at the baseline of the general population with no exposure to the vaccine.

As far as long-term follow-up, squalene has been studied as part of influenza vaccines in over 30 phase 1-4 trials, 13 of which had 4-6 month follow-up, and included over 14,000 people, and the current influenza vaccines in development are subject to clinical trials with a 6-12 month follow up schedule.

THE PUNCH LINE

With his article Dr. Mercola sought to scare people away from vaccinating against influenza in general, and H1N1 in particular. Contrary to Dr. Mercola’s poorly informed assertions, cherry picked and outdated studies, and outright misinformation, influenza is a real threat and vaccines against it are both effective and safe.

Ah, but earlier I promised you a punch line. Remember this quote?

"The U.S. government has contracts with several drug companies to develop and produce swine flu vaccines. At least two of those companies, Novartis and GlaxoSmithKline, are using an adjuvant in their H1N1 vaccine."

Novartis and GSK are indeed developing influenza vaccines containing adjuvants – for use in Europe, where squalene containing adjuvants have been safely used for over a decade. The US is indeed conducting H1N1 vaccine safety and efficacy studies that include the use of adjuvants. Given the unpredictable nature of the upcoming season and the very real potential that vaccine demand will outstrip its supply, it would be irresponsible for the US not to be prepared with a well studied contingency plan that includes possible adjuvant use.

However, it must be clearly stated that there are no adjuvants, nor have there ever been, in the US influenza vaccines. Furthermore, barring the highly unlikely failure of the standard unadjuvanted vaccines currently in trial, the H1N1 vaccines available in the US will also be adjuvant free.7

Even if Dr. Mercola’s entire article made a single valid point regarding the use of adjuvants in the H1N1 vaccine, it is irrelevant to the US population.

Based on poor science, packed with misinformation, and designed to promote unwarranted fear, his article is not a source of information, it is dangerous, irresponsible fear mongering.

Me. If it mutates into some killer flu then I'll be worried. Until then, it's just another strain of flu with a catchy name that's being hyped.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW1IEqKuf6s]YouTube - (1/2) Do Vaccines Cause Autism? Correlation vs. Causation[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tl3tUQng9Q&NR=1]YouTube - (2/2) Do Vaccines Cause Autism? Correlation vs. Causation[/ame]

Me. If it mutates into some killer flu then I'll be worried. Until then, it's just another strain of flu with a catchy name that's being hyped.

i am nineteen and have no chronic illnesses so i'm more worried about being struck by lightening

New Topics

Forum List

Back