Swift boats bein' used to smuggle drugs

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Overpowered boats used to smuggle illegals and drugs...
:eek:
Drug traffickers going coastal as they use boats to sneak drugs into Texas
Monday, June 4, 2012 - A U.S. Navy frigate hides in the darkness just over the horizon, its Seahawk helicopter's turbines fired up, ready for liftoff.
Some 30 miles away, Colombian sailors on patrol boats hug the South American coast as they covertly close in on a motorboat suspected of ferrying cocaine. U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents in the air on a P-3 plane capture everything on radar, part of an orchestrated multinational trap to nab bulk loads of drugs long before they make it to the United States. While America has pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into securing the U.S. border across Texas and elsewhere, the mammoth sea still beckons with possibilities, absent the sensors, cameras, massive manpower and fences found on land.

Fortified as never before, drug traffickers increasingly are bypassing the heavily guarded land crossings for the comparatively naked seas and 367 miles of shore where they are more likely to cross paths with fishermen than federal agents - and where snagging smugglers is a puzzle based on intelligence, surveillance, patience and luck. "I think we've got a guy coming out of the bay now, this could be our boy," said a veteran CBP officer flying in the P-3 at about 12,500 feet over choppy waters. But it wasn't. Not this time. "You get information from a confidential informant. Maybe somebody stubbed their toe, or the wind wasn't right," the agent joked of the litany of things that could have delayed the journey. "Mañana," he said, using the Spanish word for tomorrow. "We refer to it as 'doper time.' "

'Going to get worse'

The Caribbean is a long way from the shores of Texas, but this is where the smuggling begins, where huge loads of cocaine are slipped out of the jungle-lined coasts and jumped to Central America, or the Caribbean Islands, then methodically moved toward the United States. Today, bundles of marijuana and cocaine are drifting onto Texas beaches as a result, loads likely abandoned or lost before they could be intercepted. "I don't see it getting any better; if anything, it is going to get worse," Travis Poulson, chief ranger for the Padre Island National Seashore, said of traffickers turning to the coast. "There is money in it."

Authorities still make many more busts on the land border between the United States and Mexico than along the beaches, but concede they don't know exactly what is happening on waters that stretch far and wide, and lap the Third Coast of the United States. "As we make the land border more secure, they will find any way they can to get in," said U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, an Austin-based Republican who heads a committee that oversees the Department of Homeland Security. "They will certainly turn to the sea to get their product in." McCaul, who represents part of Harris County, is to preside over a hearing June 21 in Washington to examine the maritime threat posed by drug traffickers. He noted that 165,000 metric tons of illegal drugs were seized in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Gulf of Mexico last year, up 36 percent from 2008. In April, 55 pounds of cocaine washed up on San Jose Island in Aransas County.

MORE

We can use armed drones to scare ranchers in Texas but can't take out one itty bitty boat smuggling drugs.

the op's title made me laugh....like they are gonna use slow boats?

how to stop this...legalize drugs across the board....remove the profits from drug dealing and it will stop

how to stop this...legalize drugs across the board....remove the profits from drug dealing and it will stop

the-war-on-drugs-is-fucking-stupid.jpg

And I am a Con

Truly we need to legalize drugs. It won't remove the profits, just legalize them. But it will result in thousands of drug addicts permanently removed. The cartels just killed 11 at a rehab clinic which is just what we need.

Some of the worst drugs are already legal so what's a little more.

Truly we need to legalize drugs. It won't remove the profits, just legalize them. But it will result in thousands of drug addicts permanently removed. The cartels just killed 11 at a rehab clinic which is just what we need.

Link?

Link?

I thought you knew since there is a whole thread on it elsewhere on this board.

11 killed in attack at Mexico rehab center - CNN

In the last few years, the cartels have taken out over 50,000 addicts, users and dealers. In all our years of "drug war" we haven't done 1% of that. Clearly they know what they are doing and we don't.

Link?

I thought you knew since there is a whole thread on it elsewhere on this board.

11 killed in attack at Mexico rehab center - CNN

In the last few years, the cartels have taken out over 50,000 addicts, users and dealers. In all our years of "drug war" we haven't done 1% of that. Clearly they know what they are doing and we don't.

Nope. Thanks. I don't see everything on USMB. I check in several times a day as a rule but rarely read the whole "active" page. It is hard enough to to find the time to read what is already of interest and tagged by my replies. Thanks again for the link.

Well... in all fairness, the 50k also includes bystanders who just happened to be there and other "collaterals".

Now, let's look at it from a different perspective: 1077 gang related homicides were recorded in 1993 just in Los Angeles alone. That comes to 2%, roughly, of the cartel related killings in Mexico since 2006. I believe we still have things we can show the world.

Forum List

Back