Sweet potato, sweet potato, sweet potato...YAM!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
My contribution to a Black History Month potluck was CANDIED SWEET POTATOES...

In this case, a can of sweet potatoes drained, upended in a casserole, seasoned with a buttload of brown sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon. I was out of marshmallows or those would have gone on top..then into the oven and cook for as long as you want.

Sweet Potatoes:
1. Were introduced to Ethiopia by a German immigrant in 1858.
2. Sweet potato is grown over 30,000 hectares in Ethiopia, and is considered a secondary non-cereal crop.
3. Three communities where they are a significant crop: Awassa, Holetta, and Alemaya. There is little export or import, and the per capita consumption rate is about 17.5 kilograms per person, which means there is a huge potential to expand production/consumption of sweet potato, but storage and transportation issues plague growth.
4. Sweet potatoes are an integral part of many Ethiopian dishes today.
5. Columbus brought sweet potatoes to Spain. He probably came across them in what is now Peru. Sweet potatoes have been cultivated in Central/South America since 750 BCE, and possibly before.
6. Candied sweet potatoes were featured in 1893 Fannie Farmer’s “Boston Cooking School Cookbook” in the US.
7. As early as 1793, sweet potatoes were candied and topped with EGG WHITES. We now use marshmallows.
8. Sweet potatoes were an ideal crop for slaves in America. They were often allowed to maintain their own small gardens, where the soil was poor and sweet potatoes thrived.
9. Dr. George Washington Carver researched the peanut and the sweet potato extensively.
10. Yams and sweet potatoes are interchangeable (cooking-wise), and the yam was a staple of slaves in Jamaica and on the ships (along with black eyed peas).

A more accurate contribution to black history month would be for Africans to capture other Africans in order to sell them as slaves.

Get real.

In this case, a can of sweet potatoes drained, upended in a casserole, seasoned with a buttload of brown sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon. I was out of marshmallows or those would have gone on top..then into the oven and cook for as long as you want.

Sweet Potatoes:
2. Sweet potato is grown over 30,000 hectares in Ethiopia, and is considered a secondary non-cereal crop.
3. Three communities where they are a significant crop: Awassa, Holetta, and Alemaya. There is little export or import, and the per capita consumption rate is about 17.5 kilograms per person, which means there is a huge potential to expand production/consumption of sweet potato, but storage and transportation issues plague growth.
5. Columbus brought sweet potatoes to Spain. He probably came across them in what is now Peru. Sweet potatoes have been cultivated in Central/South America since 750 BCE, and possibly before.
6. Candied sweet potatoes were featured in 1893 Fannie Farmer’s “Boston Cooking School Cookbook” in the US.
7. As early as 1793, sweet potatoes were candied and topped with EGG WHITES. We now use marshmallows.
8. Sweet potatoes were an ideal crop for slaves in America. They were often allowed to maintain their own small gardens, where the soil was poor and sweet potatoes thrived.
9. Dr. George Washington Carver researched the peanut and the sweet potato extensively.
10. Yams and sweet potatoes are interchangeable (cooking-wise), and the yam was a staple of slaves in Jamaica and on the ships (along with black eyed peas).

Geesus...I just found out I am black. I've eaten sweet potatoes all my life. Candied, baked, pie, and now muffins. I had no idea.

Oh yeah, I forgot...French fried sweet potatoes.

I will bake a sweet potato, cut it down the middle, and one side I eat with butter, salt, pepper and sour cream (or gravy)...the other side is butter, salt, pepper and lots of brown sugar, preferably lumpy.

I will bake a sweet potato, cut it down the middle, and one side I eat with butter, salt, pepper and sour cream (or gravy)...the other side is butter, salt, pepper and lots of brown sugar, preferably lumpy.

Split down one side...open it up, fill it with butter, cinnamon/sugar or brown sugar, mash the contents and savor...can you say gooooooooooooood eatin?

Fuck off. I love sweet potatoes.
I haven't grown them in years.

I think I might put in some on the edge of my watermelons.

Of course, I can buy a bushel of them for less than it costs to drive to get the sweet potato slips.

Split down one side...open it up, fill it with butter, cinnamon/sugar or brown sugar, mash the contents and savor...can you say gooooooooooooood eatin?
They are a wonder food.

Might be why my Marlboro smokin' beer drinkin' fried food eating 90 year old friend is doing so well.

I love sweet potato too!

We used to make a dessert with mashed sweet potato mixed with Condensed Milk and vanilla extract!!!!

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::banana:

Sweet Potatoes:

Columbus never went to Peru.

Somebody else must have done it.

I have never known the difference between a yam and a sweet potato.

This black history post has inspired me to try a row of peanuts too.

Sweet Potatoes:
A Sweet Potato History Inside Adams Science Technology Business

Didn't he?

Oh well. They think they originated in Peru. Mebbe he picked them up elsewhere in South America or Central America.

They are a wonder food.

Might be why my Marlboro smokin' beer drinkin' fried food eating 90 year old friend is doing so well.
That and the fact that he didn't inherit the cancer gene. Did I ever say that those scare commercials about cigarette smoking and cancer is total bullshit?

sweetpotatoes.jpg

"Although yams and sweet potatoes are both angiosperms (flowering plants), they are not related botanically. Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family.
Yams
Yams are closely related to lilies and grasses. Native to Africa and Asia, yams vary in size from that of a small potato to a record 130 pounds (as of 1999). There are over 600 varieties of yams and 95% of these crops are grown in Africa. Compared to sweet potatoes, yams are starchier and drier.
Sweet Potatoes
The many varieties of sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are members of the morning glory family, Convolvulacea. The skin color can range from white to yellow, red, purple or brown. The flesh also ranges in color from white to yellow, orange, or orange-red. "

What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams Everyday Mysteries Fun Science Facts from theLibrary of Congress

Didn't he?

Oh well. They think they originated in Peru. Mebbe he picked them up elsewhere in South America or Central America.
See article.

He brought them, but he did not bring them from Peru.

That is where they originated though.

Incas had over 200 varieties of potatoes, for the different soils and microclimates as you went from the coast up the mountains.

I grow red potatoes here, never had much luck with whites.

Fresh dug is just a whole different experience from store bought.

It is tater planting time now.

Didn't he?

See article.

Incas had over 200 varieties of potatoes, for the different soils and microclimates as you went from the coast up the mountains.

I thought I already conceded that.

sweetpotatoes.jpg

"Although yams and sweet potatoes are both angiosperms (flowering plants), they are not related botanically. Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family.
Yams
Yams are closely related to lilies and grasses. Native to Africa and Asia, yams vary in size from that of a small potato to a record 130 pounds (as of 1999). There are over 600 varieties of yams and 95% of these crops are grown in Africa. Compared to sweet potatoes, yams are starchier and drier.
Sweet Potatoes
The many varieties of sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are members of the morning glory family, Convolvulacea. The skin color can range from white to yellow, red, purple or brown. The flesh also ranges in color from white to yellow, orange, or orange-red. "

What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams Everyday Mysteries Fun Science Facts from theLibrary of Congress
That is what I thought, one comes from Africa, another from South America.
Confusion comes, I think, from canned "candied yams", which are, in fact sweet potatoes.

Didn't he?

See article.

I thought I already conceded that.
No contest to concede.

Just started looking up stuff out of curiosity.

"African slaves had already been calling the ‘soft’ sweet potatoes ‘yams’ because they resembled the yams in Africa. Thus, ‘soft’ sweet potatoes were referred to as ‘yams’ to distinguish them from the ‘firm’ varieties.
"Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’ Unless you specifically search for yams, which are usually found in an international market, you are probably eating sweet potatoes!"

Yams are from Africa, sweet potatoes from the Americas. Most of what we have are either soft or firm sweet potatoes, but blacks started calling them yams so now the term here is interchangeable, sort of.

But in reality, yams and sweet potatoes, historically, are different things.

Forum List

Back