Sweet Caroline ..........

i don't know enough to judge her qualifications, i doubt that i would know enough to judge any of the other characters vying for the position either....and whoever is ''chosen'' for the position, IS CHOSEN by an insider...so, i suppose it doesn't much matter, in this case....for me.

but yes, nepotism is the name of the game....or the just plain, ''who you KNOW, is what counts''!

I don't know either but during the primaries HIllary wasn't worth a shit according to Democrats, and didn't know shit about foreigh policy and now lo and behold here she is the SOS..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thus the point that the person it be "given to" should have some experience to do the job

yes, i can see that point! and a well made one!

whoever is picked by the governor, is a reflection of the governor! that fiduciary responsibility to the citizens of his state, should not be taken lightly!

but what if caroline were the best candidate? what if all candidates vying for the appointment did not stand out as anything exceptional when interviewing with the governor.... but she did stand out.....even without po;itical hands on experience?

i honestly know nothing of her capabilities, or her drive to get things accomplished, and know nothing about the others vying for the position.

all i am saying is, that i would not rule her out, without a handful of interviews with her if i were choosing the replacement, unless i had another candidate in mind that i knew without doubt, would supersede anyone else....and the ny lt governor/governor may already have a person like that in mind....?

it really is at the governor's discretion and i don't have a say, as a non citizen of the state, nor would i if a citizen of ny state except i would have a say on who my next governor would be!

yes, i can see that point! and a well made one!

whoever is picked by the governor, is a reflection of the governor! that fiduciary responsibility to the citizens of his state, should not be taken lightly!

but what if caroline were the best candidate? what if all candidates vying for the appointment did not stand out as anything exceptional when interviewing with the governor.... but she did stand out.....even without po;itical hands on experience?

i honestly know nothing of her capabilities, or her drive to get things accomplished, and know nothing about the others vying for the position.

all i am saying is, that i would not rule her out, without a handful of interviews with her if i were choosing the replacement, unless i had another candidate in mind that i knew without doubt, would supersede anyone else....and the ny lt governor/governor may already have a person like that in mind....?

it really is at the governor's discretion and i don't have a say, as a non citizen of the state, nor would i if a citizen of ny state except i would have a say on who my next governor would be!
true, we, as residents of the peoples republic of Maine would have no say in the matters in NY State
but that is just what the topic is, personally, i would rather go back to the governors appointing the US Senators like it was in the begining with approval of the state senate and return that line of responsibility to the local elected
i think thats part of the problems we have now
we lost that line of responsibility

The U.S. Senate should be abolished.

It is a joke that Alaska with 680,000 residents gets as many votes as California.

the difference being, one was elected, and one is being appointed

it's the way the law was written. If the governor chooses her, he has the right, regardless of what experience she has, just like the US voters can choose Obama, regardless of the experience he has.

it's the way the law was written. If the governor chooses her, he has the right, regardless of what experience she has, just like the US voters can choose Obama, regardless of the experience he has.
yes, but that doesnt make it right

yes, but that doesnt make it right

correct, especially if she really isn't capable to fill the position....but if she did turn out to be what the people of ny want, they will keep her in 2010 and all will be forgiven and more than likely forgotten, if she's lousy then she and the gov will be booted!

Well, she's about as qualified as anyone whose sat in that seat in the past 60 years :lol:

I agree that having the seat due to star power is a little unsettling, as well as the fact that I just doubt she'd enjoy being in the senate very much, but I don't think she'd necessarily be 'bad' at her job. She's done a fair bit of work for education, and in her three years in the Office of Strategic Planning, she shook out over 50 million dollars for New York public schools that wouldn't otherwise have been earmarked for them. Considering the trouble the education system will be in with the economy where it is, and considering that education is one of the soundest investments in the economic future, it's important to have someone who can fight for educational funding. As a teacher, I respect that kind of effort (even if she did the unforgivable and send her kids to private school).

Hard to say. I'd probably vote for her in a general election, were I from NY and provided she doesn't make some sort of boneheaded policy position made public. But in general, I think she'd probably find herself a niche in the senate. With Hilary gone, there are two open seats on the Health, Education, Labor, and Pension committee, which would probably suit her. It would be relieving for a senator without obvious ambition or a broad agenda to be on the national scene. There aren't too many of them around.

Elvis: Yes, Radcliffe A.B. (same as B.A., just a different Latin name) and then Columbia for her J.D.

DiveCon: That's the section about her work on education in New York, not her personal education.
ah, they put her education under personal life
she has a JD

She received her A.B. from Radcliffe College[4] at Harvard University in 1979 and her J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1988, after attending the Brearley School and Convent of the Sacred Heart in Manhattan, and Concord Academy in Massachusetts.
interesting that they didnt list that as her education in a seperate listing, they usually do
my bad for not reading the full page

Elvis: Yes, Radcliffe A.B. (same as B.A., just a different Latin name) and then Columbia for her J.D.

DiveCon: That's the section about her work on education in New York, not her personal education.

Yeah, I just saw she is a member of the Bar Association.

ah, they put her education under personal life
she has a JD

interesting that they didnt list that as her education in a seperate listing, they usually do
my bad for not reading the full page

Yeah, usually politicians have pretty thoroughly formatted wikipedia pages with education in either separately or in the sidebar of crucial statistics. One of the website's strengths, actually. I guess she's just not a politician yet.

What I don't like is the idea that not haven't been part of the political system at all, and due in largely to her name, she will be appointed to a senate seat. It seems so wrong on so many levels, but there is nothing we can do, but to gripe.

Wow. She didn't go, did she? I would have expected Ivy League. JFK Jr went to Brown.

Huh? From the link posted, scroll up:

She received her A.B. from Radcliffe College[4] at Harvard University in 1979 and her J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1988, after attending the Brearley School and Convent of the Sacred Heart in Manhattan, and Concord Academy in Massachusetts.
[edit]

well, i said i'd give her a shot, but she needed to prove herself as being well above the other possible nominees...

and, i hate to be so quick on this, but from the couple of intervues and moves that Caroline has done within the last 24-48 hours....

I'm not impressed. NOTHING is screaming WOW, we have to have her in this position! Absolutely NOTHING.

care

Forum List

Back