Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret

I guess I didn't read carefully. I thought it was younger. In any case the experiment can't last much longer. Unless the kid decides it want to continue keeping the secret, which doesn't seem likely.

Yep.

Odd referring to a child as "it" though, isn't it? :eusa_eh:

Its a bug in the English language. We need a gender neutral descriptor. Can use "they", but technically thats plural. S/he works as well, although its clunky, I think thats what one is supposed to use.

ze..

As far as the parents, I don't know about their politics. If they molested the child we could say they are more likely conservative.
That is defamation is the least! :cuckoo:
Much like your views on the middle east you are extremely arrogant!

Data regarding the political affiliation of child molesters shows conservatives to have a higher incidence of child molestation.

That bullshit smells familiar.

You got a link to this steaming pile of data? :lol:

Its a bug in the English language. We need a gender neutral descriptor. Can use "they", but technically thats plural. S/he works as well, although its clunky, I think thats what one is supposed to use.

ze..

Are you just making that up, or is that an actual term?

It's the politically correct gender-neutral pronoun that was thrown around in Az. I don't know how widely it's used outside of that state.

I usually just said 'it'

Gender-neutral pronoun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nominative (subject) Objective (object) Possessive determiner Possessive pronoun Reflexive Traditional pronouns He He laughed I called him His eyes gleam That is his He likes himself She She laughed I called her Her eyes gleam That is hers She likes herself It It laughed I called it Its eyes gleam That is its It likes itself One One laughed I called one One's eyes gleam That is one's One likes oneself Conventions based on traditional pronouns S/he S/he laughed I called him/her His/her eyes gleam That is his/hers S/he likes him/herself S/he (compact) S/he laughed I called him/r His/r eyes gleam That is his/rs S/he likes him/rself Singular they They laughed I called them Their eyes gleam That is theirs They like themselves Invented pronouns Co Co laughed I called co Cos eyes gleam That is cos Co likes coself Ne (pronounced like "me") Ne laughed I called nir Nir eyes gleam That is nirs Ne likes nyself Spivak (old) E laughed I called em Eir eyes gleam That is eirs E likes eirself Spivak (new) Ey laughed I called em Eir eyes gleam That is eirs Ey likes emself Hy Hy laughed I called hym Hys eyes gleam That is hys Hy likes hymself Thon[4] Thon laughed I called thon Thons eyes gleam That is thon's Thon likes thonself Ve[5] Ve laughed I called ver Vis eyes gleam That is vis Ve likes verself Xe[6] Xe laughed I called xem Xyr eyes gleam That is xyrs Xe likes xemself Ze (or zie or sie) and hir[7] Ze laughed I called hir Hir eyes gleam That is hirs Ze likes hirself Ze and mer[8] Ze laughed I called mer Zer eyes gleam That is zer Ze likes zemself Ze, zam, zerz[9] Ze laughed I called zam Zerz eyes gleam That is zerz Ze likes zamself

Middle English

Historically, there were two gender neutral pronouns native to English dialects, 'ou' and 'a', but they have long since died out. According to Dennis Baron's Grammar and Gender:
In 1789, William H. Marshall records the existence of a dialectal English epicene pronoun, singular "ou": "'Ou will' expresses either he will, she will, or it will." Marshall traces "ou" to Middle English epicene "a", used by the 14th century English writer John of Trevisa, and both the OED and Wright's English Dialect Dictionary confirm the use of "a" for he, she, it, they, and even I. This "a" is a reduced form of the Anglo-Saxon he = "he" and heo = "she".[13]
Baron goes on to describe how relics of these sex-neutral terms survive in some British dialects of Modern English, and sometimes a pronoun of one gender might be applied to a person or animal of the opposite gender.

Robin Williams didn't talk till he was three. And look how he turned out! ;) They're all different.

Really? I did not know that. Have to look that up later.

Sweet! That's my new thing to learn for today. I'm done. :woohoo:

My brain is full of completely useless information. I've tried throwing it out but it just hangs around. Once in awhile I get to use it. Stop, I know what you're thinking -- no, not my brain, the information. :tongue:

Don't know where I heard that about Williams. I never checked it out just remembered hearing it. Watch, it'll turn out to be wrong. :lol:

My brother didn't talk in any cohesive manner until he was four. He called me "Mimi" and my sister "DoDo." Not even close, so go figure what was in his undeveloped mind. But he now holds 3 degrees, one in engineering, an MBA, and some kind of difficult engineering certification only endowed to the best of the best. He always excelled in mathematics, however, not English or the arts so it's probably a hard-wired thing from birth.

Ok - I decided not to wade back through the pages to find the original bit about Robin Williams.

I couldn't find anything that specifically said he didn't learn to talk until whatever age, but one article did state that he was a quiet child.

And then I found the following couple paragraphs, which hit me oddly - not sure if it will anyone else, but here goes:

Robin Williams is believed to have ADHD. People with ADHD can be more imaginative or intellectual than other people.1 These tendencies can lead to creativity, which can be seen in Williams' works. In adults, ADHD is often seen as a positive trait, lending itself to creative and outgoing personalities.2

Fast Facts:

* Other famous people with ADHD include: Jim Carey, Whoopi Goldberg, and Albert Einstein, and Mozart.1
* Signs of ADHD can be seen in Williams' body language in many of the movie roles he has played.2
* Robin Williams is an example of someone who has used ADHD as an aid in his successful career.2
* You cannot get ADHD from watching too much TV or as a result of a poor education.3
Source

Cindy Little, managing editor of Gifted Child Today and a PhD candidate at Baylor University in Waco, Texas, agrees. Little, a teacher who has more than 10 years experience in primary level classrooms, notes that schools "want to serve gifted children, but they don't know how to do it. A lot of kids aren't being identified."

"Imagine being Robin Williams' fourth grade teacher!" she exclaims.

Gifted children who are "difficult," who act out, the clowns and troublemakers, and the gifted with disabilities, Little notes, may have their problems diagnosed and may not be considered gifted at all. And students who have a wide spread of skills can have their high test scores canceled out by deficits.

Similar concerns haunt Coleman, who emphasizes the ways gifted children can compensate for disabilities - and mask them- on their own.

Or, these student may not be aware the deficits exist.
Source

So, the first article says that Robin MAY have ADD (not that he in fact DOES have it). But here's how he used it to make his career successful. :eusa_eh:

And while I will admit that he has developed into a gifted comedian over the years, was he automatically a gifted child simply because of who he became as an adult? Because he was a smart-ass as a kid, he's automatically labeled "gifted"?

Ok - I decided not to wade back through the pages to find the original bit about Robin Williams.

I couldn't find anything that specifically said he didn't learn to talk until whatever age, but one article did state that he was a quiet child.

And then I found the following couple paragraphs, which hit me oddly - not sure if it will anyone else, but here goes:

Robin Williams is believed to have ADHD. People with ADHD can be more imaginative or intellectual than other people.1 These tendencies can lead to creativity, which can be seen in Williams' works. In adults, ADHD is often seen as a positive trait, lending itself to creative and outgoing personalities.2

Fast Facts:

* Other famous people with ADHD include: Jim Carey, Whoopi Goldberg, and Albert Einstein, and Mozart.1
* Signs of ADHD can be seen in Williams' body language in many of the movie roles he has played.2
* Robin Williams is an example of someone who has used ADHD as an aid in his successful career.2
* You cannot get ADHD from watching too much TV or as a result of a poor education.3
Source

Cindy Little, managing editor of Gifted Child Today and a PhD candidate at Baylor University in Waco, Texas, agrees. Little, a teacher who has more than 10 years experience in primary level classrooms, notes that schools "want to serve gifted children, but they don't know how to do it. A lot of kids aren't being identified."

Gifted children who are "difficult," who act out, the clowns and troublemakers, and the gifted with disabilities, Little notes, may have their problems diagnosed and may not be considered gifted at all. And students who have a wide spread of skills can have their high test scores canceled out by deficits.

Similar concerns haunt Coleman, who emphasizes the ways gifted children can compensate for disabilities - and mask them- on their own.

Source

So, the first article says that Robin MAY have ADD (not that he in fact DOES have it). But here's how he used it to make his career successful. :eusa_eh:

And while I will admit that he has developed into a gifted comedian over the years, was he automatically a gifted child simply because of who he became as an adult? Because he was a smart-ass as a kid, he's automatically labeled "gifted"?

I prefer to call em touched in the head.

Data regarding the political affiliation of child molesters shows conservatives to have a higher incidence of child molestation.

BTW, was the study done by a liberal, oh, maybe university?

Mel Reynolds

I am not aware of any formal study, only police and court records. Arrest and convictions for child molestation, among known political candidates and officers is heavily skewed towards conservatives. There are several compilations of known conservative and liberal child molesters available. The numbers among conservatives only seem to show that a child molester, active in politics, is more likely to be a conservative.

So, what are you driving at, that liberals are only thieves and liars?

Fast Facts:

Source

Source

Thanks, Eve. That was interesting. Especially "

Or, these student may not be aware the deficits exist."

As for Robin Williams, I've never found him particularly entertaining. He annoys me mostly, so maybe he does have ADHD?

BTW, was the study done by a liberal, oh, maybe university?

Mel Reynolds

I am not aware of any formal study, only police and court records. Arrest and convictions for child molestation, among known political candidates and officers is heavily skewed towards conservatives. There are several compilations of known conservative and liberal child molesters available. The numbers among conservatives only seem to show that a child molester, active in politics, is more likely to be a conservative.

So, what are you driving at, that liberals are only thieves and liars?

I wasn't really driving at anything except your initial querry about the parents politics. If you would like to use parenting behavior as a means to identify the politics of the parents, I don't see why you would object. You present a child whose parents present the child as nuetral, in a sexual sense, and assert the parents must be liberal. Standing to strengthen your argument is the other extreme. Parents who use their children as objects of sex must be conservative.

Your argument has merit and is supported by the behavior of conservative parents. Congratulations.

It's not judgement, it's humor. One must laugh when you see 1970's feminism played out in real life.

Why?

This was my favorite bit:

the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

I'm fairly certain that gender is not a social construction. Seems to be all about physical construction from what I've seen.

Fucking Swedes. Don't they already have the highest suicide rate of any nation?

Way to look out for the kid's interests. Confuse him right from the beginning. Yay.

Did you ever think maybe Pop is both and there are waiting for he/she to decide what they want to be?
Plus we can tell you are a conservative because you feel the need to question someone else's parenting skills.

Isn't it painfully clear that these parents have no parenting skills and no common sense either?
No, but it IS plain to see it's not any of your business (or anyone's for that matter).

Forum List

Back